Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 88648 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 07:04:48 PM »
Yes Heres the links   TMan
thats in the other video (JConk margherita thread )? http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13846.0.html  That is also Marble slab(marble scap thread) http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12507.0.html
 I found that at stone yard and had em cut a 2Ft sq  and built (10 minutes maybe) simple 3 sided sq area area with 1X4 finger jointed pine  what I had in the garage to work with spur of the moment.
John
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 07:14:56 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 08:17:49 PM »
Never mind, John answered it before I finished my post!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2011, 03:04:35 PM »
Another end of drive successfull PPP ! Pool Pizza Party  ;D
Hope your not all get sick of the party shots? I take pics anyway all phone cam for website,  portfolio...  Its fun to track the different events and my progress. The whole system is getting better and better. Prep set up ,cleanup. This was my neighbor around the block so I actually started the oven at my house . Just hooked it up (drove slowly) and was on-site fully set up and cooking within 1 hr! They were surprised to see a smokin oven being backed into the driveway  :-D Huge success and I think I signed up 3 more gigs from this one.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:10:29 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2011, 03:21:44 PM »
I visited Amano last week and they were doing the VPN trianing there. I met Roberto from Keste! and spoke with him for a while I had the I -pad so showned him my ovens... he was actually interested in what I was doing, but  he said I probably should not take the course.Looked like I had it?  I was invited to just be a fly on the wall and see what I can pick up next session Ye ha!
Point is while there I watched very closley as they prepared the Nutella dessert pizza both pizza and roll.
Heres the deal You pop in a spread out skin as if you were making a pizza but nothing on it . It puffs up to a ball in about 60 second Very cool ! I will video this its wild . Then you slice it in 1/2 I spread nutella 1 side only then added banannas and mashmellows pieces (small) sprinkle a  little confectioner sugar place the top (otherhalph) on sprinkle again with Powedered sugar and pop in oven. The sugar crystalizes and give the dessert a really nice crunch. finish with another sprinkle of the sugar and a swirl of chocolate syrup ( oops I forgot to get that) .Regardless 1st time I wowed the guests with desert pizza I never saw such a fuss They went CRAZY for this! I could not make them fast enough !! It is officially added to my  menu (extra of course) that nutella is expensive) more the buffalo cheese! I also did a Marcsapone cheese and cherry  1st pic Very nice also but it didnt hold a candle to the Nutella
John
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:27:11 PM by JConk007 »

scott123

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2011, 05:35:00 PM »
It looks like you're really getting into a nice groove, John.

Roberto's class, from the videos I've seen, looks pretty remedial and beyond your skill set, but I'm kind of surprised he didn't try to up sell you on some one-on-one training. That's fantastic that he's letting you sit on a class for free.  Please take plenty of pictures and tell us all about it :)

I have to admit, I'm not too fond of the dessert pizza concept. Savory bread + sweet stuff seems off to me. I know that the Nutella jar has a photo of it being spread on bread, but, that, to me, is more of a savory PB/J sandwich kind of thing, then a dessert. Max Brenner, a well known NYC chocolatier does a chocolate pizza, but it's with a cookie-ish crust.  If I ever did a dessert pizza myself, I'd probably do a special sweet dough. This all being said... with the caramelized sugar and the fillings you're working with, I'd probably devour a slice of it.

It's sounds like the dessert pizza is really working for you, but how about stretching the dough a little thinner and brushing the baked crust with melted butter?  A thinner stretch and some butter might bring it a little more into the pastry realm than the bread arena. Just an idea.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2011, 06:14:24 PM »
John, beautiful pizzas as always!!  Not a Nutella fan, but I will try the dessert one with chocolate and marshmallows and see if I can make it a s'more-type thing...

Scott, I was kind of with you on the savory crust thing, but the one I did last week, I brushed butter all over the crust to the edges and sprinkled them with cinnamon-sugar, so it caramelized on the outer crust, and I used enough butter-sugar-cinnamon in the middle that it puddled and so we could sop it up with pieces of the crust, and it was pretty darn yummy.  It was almost like a churro but much less sweet in a good way - changed my mind quickly  :D 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #86 on: August 21, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
Robyn, - Thanks as allways I may try a little bit of butter

Scott- It was Carlo Orlando who was there also that invited me to pop in, A partner  in Amano and I think 3rd generation Orlando food Distributor, hes a really great guy I have known for some time. Roberto works or rents from him for these classes?
 Honestly I am not a big fan either of the desert pizzas, but I am a fan of pleasing the  the client after all it is a business, so I make what they want. You mentioned earlier the  WFO is about the show/theatrical part also, so after 50 Margheritas Its nice to put something else out to WOW them.
It amazes me how many people do love Nutella? My 5.5yr old daughter included. Not sure how I could spread the crust any thinner? if you look hard at #177 and #174 you can see just how thin it is. Its blows up  and then you split it in half like 00 pita. The finished product is like a sandwich that holds it all together. They also do a calzone style with the same ingredients that looks awesome as well. I am finding the groove and finding there are many more hours that go into a party than one might think. I shutter at the thought of actually making "another dough or sweet bead" for a party. Also the  sweet bread would probably work nice flavor wise but is there a 900 degree recipe for such breads? Sugar and heat =?  These Pizzas ( I call it that only because it is pizza dough?) are  done with the same baking temperature. You have to get in, and get out to make it worth while. Not sure on this but I believe its also an authentic dish, dessert, whatever, in Italy? Is it?   2-3 hours of constant cooking is enough for me and what I agree to for any given party . To hang around anther few hours for oven to come to temp and make breads and fancier desserts would be a drag. of course an extra $500 bucks could change that  ;) but I am just a wanna be pizza guy not really a chef. Ok so I have done Betty Crocker Brownie ( with and without additives)  Again time is money. Its a passion still and goal is still to keep it fun  but after 10 or so events ( and remember this is just a part time gig for me) I am trying to get to the business part of it now. If I personally have 15 hrs + time into it (yes it takes that much! I have developed a consistent spreadsheet) when all is said and done and cleaned  ::). Then the question is should I just fix the house for 2 -days for say just 4 hours a day and save the money the carpenter/painter/pllumber charges me for those 2 days? That puts me break even $$ wise but up 8 hrs time right? And really I like doing that stuff too  ??? or used to.
Your  right! I choose the  :pizza:Pizza
Labor day is all booked up! please feel free to come help me scott, I could really use your talents! oh and theres allways plenty of cold beverage!
again I appreciate any and all ideas and feed back as I press on.
Thanks again!!

John

« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 09:27:13 PM by JConk007 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2011, 05:09:12 AM »
John,

I have enjoy your posts, about your adventure into mobile WFO pizzas!  :chef:

I think the appeal for Nutella pies baked in a WFO, deck oven, or even home oven are good.  Other people and I did enjoy two Nutellaís pies I made at these two posts.
I made a Nutella pie at Reply 813 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg134137.html#msg134137
Using about the same methods as you did, but didnít include the banana and marshmallows inside.  I also posted about making a Símore pizza in Steveís WFO, at Reply 702 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12042.msg127525.html#msg127525

Thanks so much for watching very closely on how to make a Nutella dessert pizza.  ;D I will give that a go again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »
Thanks Norma they look great  too! Like Scott says keep it thin. I found the trick to be the sprinkle then back into oven to caramelize (of course 900 degrees helps)out and the sprinkle and chocolate swirl. I will try the calzone  one next :P
John

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #89 on: September 06, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
2 Parties Sunday and Monday both promised rain and.... nothing  :angel: good clean livin I guess.
Sunday 40-50 people  , band  the whole 9! Monday 40 people about 20 kids- cheese please. (and nutella!) People are still in awe of the mobile oven and cant believe their eyes?  :o guess they aren't members here? Still here questions  like where is the gas ? OMG How did you do that so fast??... Comments are still very positive about the Idea/concept and the especially the product. Developing Pretty good system. I am  now set up in < 1 hr.,  and cooking in 1 1/2 hours after droppig the oven. There is a rhythm to everything I am working out the order of loading / unloading, handling the crowd .... and yes still having FUN ! ;D
Sorry Chau not a lot of product pics as its crazy at times, but I will try to remember next time.
John
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:35:55 PM by JConk007 »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2011, 09:33:39 PM »
and Monday  ... Backyards are fun but set up in the driveway goes so quick and easy, Very hard to move the oven prep tables on grass. so gotta land em close. It takes some ingenuity and a few good boards!Theres a spot for everything  you can belrey see the blue running water in back of oven, dough tray table left of prep table, cooler with extra goodies just below that ... driveways are great venue just a drop and go push it here and there and Start Flirting with Fire! >:D Last shot is the skin for the nutella (volcano?) pies. The kids (and adults) were lined up again , for these even after the ice cream truck came by!made 8! and ran out of Nutella and yes ,  along with the extra RD boxes I bring for people for  delivery and leftovers (yes they were actually taking pies to friends and family) It added to the gratuity to make the kiddies ( and me) so happy ;)
John
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:48:46 PM by JConk007 »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2011, 01:17:11 AM »
John, I've said it before, and I'll say it again. You have life by the balls.

Cheers!

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2011, 07:10:25 AM »
Very cool, John! And very inspirational. The rusty old gears in my head are beginning to turn!

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
john.very nice!!! i have to diagram my set up for the health dept.i am going to use your set up for my drawings,hope you do not mind .  the only difference is i had to purchase a 4 compartment sink.found a nice one from a company called the peanut king. 1300.00. vs 4500.00 for a cambro.now i can hopefully get a mobil permit that will allow me to sell anywhere in ohio.

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:25 PM »
Very nice congratulations! That is totally a virgin market down here which I'm trying to develop. With the Piccolo I did an 18 people party. No complains and lots of compliments. It was just a free one just to gather inputs. I have the same comments like were is your pizzeria? When I say this is just a hobby the general comments are "well you should open your own shop". Maybe some day...

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:19 PM »
Yep I heard that as all of us home  Wood Fired Oven owners do for a long time, and most every party right? then I did a few demos and I was off to the races. Those were  the main  reasons I dove in and very glad I did,  all positive feedback and a passion to share the this true Neapolitan style of pizza with everyone ! . plus the fact I could keep my day job and see what developes oh yeah its paid for ,so as mentioned the open sign is lit when I feel the urge!
John
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:39:26 PM by JConk007 »

Offline pabsey

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »
hey John, I am doing a very similar gig up in Fargo ND. I currently run my rig up om car ramps to get it to a good height, I love your jacks, how do you gey them all cranked up to the same level? and do you have any problems with them. Appreciate any advice and looks like things are going great for you.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
Pabsey- I'm trying to better understand your question beyond the obvious 'I just turn the cranks'.

It sounds like you have an oven that sits much lower overall than John's given your statement of using car ramps. The jacks in John's use are only minimally (usually) lifting the trailer to level it out. There are some jacks that have an adjustable leg which could give more lift.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=adjustable+bulldog+jack&view=detail&id=31D9E8D71E9DD81AA86DD6D6B64D795E8FC8BAA5&first=150&FORM=IDFRIR
If you look at this link, you can see a pin in the lower portion of the jack that allows for faster deployment and multiple heights.

Maybe John will better understand your question, or you can expound upon it a bit more.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2011, 09:09:11 PM »
No Problem as mentioned by Terry They are for leveling and I raise the oven up off the wheeels about 6"+ the get a comfortable working floor height. 1 Jack will lift whole oven and there is no twisting or lateral movement any where on the trailer.  and it happen when I had a helper, and we were done I said OK crank it down. left for a second came back and the oven was teetering on 1 leg !! with no problem! I was not too thrilled!! >:( its just common sense you crank either up or down a small bit at a time and work your way around the oven. If there are 2 of us we do 1 side at a time. No drop out on bottom but if these jack every need replacing I will go with the drop down bottom , then lock /pin and crank up.
Do you have any pics of the car jack setup?
john
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 09:11:09 PM by JConk007 »

Offline rumper

« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2011, 09:17:50 PM »
I have just started a similar business in Australia with Saturday being my first event.  It was a festival with quite a few people, by the end of the night I had sold about 100 pizzas and enjoyed it thoroughly.  In the lead up to Saturday I have found inspiration following your posts.  My only problem was I was too slow and people were waiting up to 45mins which is way too long, do you have any suggestions?  I ahd someone helping shape the doughs and another slicing and taking orders while I did all the toppings and cooking.

pizzapan