Author Topic: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !  (Read 120530 times)

gd125 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Jet_deck

Re: FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #450 on: September 02, 2012, 11:27:14 PM »
Nice pie.  Glad you were excited. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »
It is fascinating to me to see the step-by-step evolutionary path that some of our members take from their day jobs or careers to becoming pizza professionals. It is though the path is preordained and inexorable and once set in motion cannot be stopped no matter how much effort is put into resisting it, much like a moth being drawn to the flame. Query: Who's next?

Peter

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
Boy, his floor sure came out nice!!  Wonder what was wrong with ours...  Oh well, I love our custom floor.  So Antoine can order the "B" ovens?  I saw on his website that he stocks only the "C"s.  Glad to hear of another happy owner, and yes, we still love ours and are grateful to you, John, for recommending it.  You probably didn't actually measure his floor - ours is closer to a full 39 inches, almost 40".  I wonder if his is too?  Thanks for the update, John!!

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2012, 04:41:18 PM »
@ Peter , If you are saying I am a professional, thank you  I really appreciate it! If there is a semi pro weekend warrior I opt for that.  At this point you are correct there is no stopping! ;D except for a little 6.5 year old ! I will not give up my family for  brick and mortar pizza business at this point in life.  (and with the other job I have)  I have looked ;) and probably should never say never However  after reading and speaking to Many pizzeria owners and operators its a tremendous commitment in time no matter the $$ or Passion.  My pizzas pale in comaprison to many here on the forum but its hard to be spot on doing "production" well 50-75 pies each time I miss the onesy- 2zy sometime and have only used my earthstone 4 times this year !  :'(
@ Robyn yes the floor was perfect ! I never even tough to ask how it went in or worked out and yes, it seemed to be as big as my mobile 40" and you really don't notice the dome height while cooking. Owner is a fireman  (chief?) and everybody that was there was really happy watching the low rolling flames
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #454 on: September 03, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »
except for a little 6.5 year old !

My dilemma as well.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #455 on: September 03, 2012, 04:55:58 PM »
That is a great looking oven! And its on wheels? Is it in NJ?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #456 on: September 03, 2012, 06:34:02 PM »
yep its on 4 Casters, and 4 people can push it  around 

Craig  yes Family first, #1. Pizza a very close second  :pizza:
very happy with 1-2 days per weekend or less, remeber this has all paid for itself  already  ;D
Oven, truck/van, mixer....  now its time to save for the Italy trip!  gonna be a good one!
John

scott123

« Reply #457 on: September 03, 2012, 06:41:43 PM »
Boy, his floor sure came out nice!!  Wonder what was wrong with ours...

Maybe FGM read your post and fixed their floor tiles  ;D As much as I think, right now, FGM is the oven to get, after seeing the tiles they gave you, I think replacing the tiles should be a forgone conclusion on any newly purchased FGM.

Nice job, John.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #458 on: September 03, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »
Scott These are very nice ovens I must say you would love it at a very similar price point I think I would go this way as well. They lok as good as they cook too! I will ask  if there were any issues with the floor. He asked me alot of questions during the install but the floor never came up? and I forgot the issues Robyn had.  I am assuming it went in without a hitch. Nice thick tile for sure !
John

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #459 on: September 03, 2012, 06:56:33 PM »
John: Was this oven made in NJ (Im in NJ)? I really like the look of that oven and I value your opinion about the results coming out of it. Besides the obvious, was there a reason he had the oven built on casters? What is the cost for something like this? Thanks in advance!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #460 on: September 03, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
Chaze yes its in Rahway NJ by way of Maryland.
Hewas just not sure whatkind of Patio space he was going to end up with so went mobile. Nor something you want to push around often but does move will probably find a final resting spot when outdoor kitchen is done FYI he has about $6-7000K? into this beauty  all said and done. Not too bad for this quality. I can get you pricing or you can talk to Antione about the Ovens he has them in stock as far as I know.
john
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:27:15 PM by JConk007 »

Offline breadstoneovens

• Vendor
    • Bread Stone Ovens
« Reply #461 on: September 06, 2012, 03:23:29 PM »
Thank you John for the nice comments  :-[

To answer Robyn's ( and others ) question on the floor, I have not had any issues with any oven's floor, however I brought it up to the FGM owner's attention. He told me that he bought and took over FGM about 7 years ago and for what I understood the oven Robyn got was ordered by the the distributor in CA about 10 years ago.
The new owner is committed to providing the best quality and has had some molds redone, back when he first arrived, as they didn't meet the quality standards.
In any case, should an oven be defective, the warranty will cover such issue.

Regarding the question for the oven mounted on wheels, attached is a picture of my latest creation. This is a 700 C Raised, mounted on a cart and fitted with multiple options such as a tool rack, an ash box and landing area/counter top in front of the oven. Such installation can be done for any residential oven and I am working on doing the same thing for a business who wants to move their oven inside during the winter and then outside when the weather allows.

Antoine
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:28:37 PM by breadstoneovens »
WFO cooking is about passion.

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #462 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:03 PM »
Nice Antione, I really enjoyed the 950B  as I mentioned.
 I think you should this post this over in your thread, someone already asked if this is what I have ? or you can give it to me for demo purpose! :) and I will answer all and any questions potential  north east buyers may have  ;D
I would  be proud to sell them  for you!
John

Offline Vinny G

FLIRTING WITH FIRE !
« Reply #463 on: September 08, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
Hello John, I'm new to the forum but have been following your thread for some time now and have been very impressed by your passion and the quality of the products you have been making.  Honestly, I check this thread almost daily to see if you have posted pictures of your operation and pies.  I honestly enjoy seeing the pictures of the setup and gigs you have had.  You truly are living the dream and I can tell by your smiles that you have not "worked" one day since owning the oven. I have made pizzas for about 10+ years from the age of 13 in pizzerias in Brooklyn and Manhattan, and loved making a quality NY pie. Left the pizza industry for the last 20 years and retired last year at the age of 44.  I moved upstate from Brooklyn in '94 and have been throwing around the idea of building a WFO in my yard for some time now, but have decided I may want to take it on the road one day so it looks as though I may buy a mobile oven to suit both needs.  I have contacted Peter from Fired Up and I may take a ride to see his Bedford operation.  Is there anything that you would recommend since operating one of his ovens for a good while now that you think I should look into as a first oven owner?  It will be a big difference for me going from making gas fired 18" pies at 550-600 degrees to 8" wood fired pies at 800 degrees!  Any advice will be helpful and hopefully you don't mind me reaching out to you.
Thank you, Vinny.

Offline rumper

« Reply #464 on: September 09, 2012, 11:18:21 PM »
Vinny if you retired at the of 44 then I think it may be you living the dream

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #465 on: September 10, 2012, 12:30:27 AM »
Vinny, Thanks for the kind words! I would be Glad to help. Where are you located in Upstate? I can tell you about the Bedford operation as thats where I went to see my first real mobile as well. If you have made that many pizzas I am sure you will pick it up very quickly. I may consider seling my baby for a touch larger size it  can put out some pretty good pizza for sure but I am getting pretty busy and may need to go  a bit bigger. Please keep my posted or feel free to ask any ?
John

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #466 on: September 10, 2012, 07:07:22 AM »
Vinny, Thanks for the kind words! I would be Glad to help. Where are you located in Upstate? I can tell you about the Bedford operation as thats where I went to see my first real mobile as well. If you have made that many pizzas I am sure you will pick it up very quickly. I may consider seling my baby for a touch larger size it  can put out some pretty good pizza for sure but I am getting pretty busy and may need to go  a bit bigger. Please keep my posted or feel free to ask any ?
John

John: If/when you consider to sell, i would be interested. Im in NJ and would love to check out your operation when the time comes. Im very impressed and intrigued by your jump into the mobile business!

Chaz
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #467 on: September 10, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
Chaze where in Jersey ?? I am in northern Bergen County but travel all over
John

Offline Vinny G

« Reply #468 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
Thanks John, I am actually leaving in a few minutes to go see an oven at the Bedford location before it heads to it's new owner.  Peter is on a business trip but he put me in touch with his partner/brother John who does the fabrication and he invited me to see the oven up close and personal and to ask any questions about construction and such. I like to see a product I might purchase up close and personal rather than viewing pictures and catalogs.
I am located on the NY/NJ/PA border in the far end of northwest Orange Cty.  Probably passed your neck of the woods in Mahwah on Rt. 17 every day going from/to work. Thanks again for your help and I may be asking a few more questions in the near future about the behind the scenes aspect of the business, as I have been doing my homework the last few weeks and I hope to overcome some obstacles that may be in the way, so it's good to have a seasoned veteran who has done it before like yourself to get advice.
Thanks again, Vinny.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 05:41:03 PM by Vinny G »

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #469 on: September 10, 2012, 09:17:38 AM »
... so it's good to have a seasoned veteran who had done it before like yourself to get advice.

+100!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #470 on: September 10, 2012, 11:00:28 AM »
John,
You have always generously offered your help to all of us and I think that is so awesome.
I'd like to ask that you please keep me in mind also when/if you decide to sell. Or maybe at least put up a post- notice when you are ready. Thanks.
Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #471 on: September 10, 2012, 02:40:53 PM »
G
Vinny  get some pics for me and email them to me at doughlicious@hotmail.com chances are its the  pavesi brick finish oven he is sell which I think also think is very nice oven. I am interested in helping you make a knowledgeable descision on based on my experience,  as bob says I want to and glad to  help anyone considering this business. Glad you are not buying a fancy website. But there may be other options and considerations also available shortly.  that's why I ask you reach out to me in a pm or email
Thanks ,!
John

Offline Vinny G

« Reply #472 on: September 10, 2012, 03:03:00 PM »
Just got back and will send you off an email soon. Thanks sir.
Vinny.

Offline Chaze215

« Reply #473 on: September 10, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
Chaze where in Jersey ?? I am in northern Bergen County but travel all over
John

John: I am in Toms River. Do you ever make it down this far?
Chaz

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #474 on: September 10, 2012, 09:36:07 PM »
Toms River Yacht  Club called for end of year event ! The new Scooby doo van will go anywhere they need some good  :pizza:
John