Author Topic: My try at "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza"  (Read 3667 times)

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
My try at "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza"
« on: June 28, 2011, 10:01:27 PM »
  This was my first attempt. I only had 6 hours for the dough to work, so I added a little more yeast to speed things up. I punched the dough down 3 times during the rise. The dough was very flexible, and easy to roll out. I did increase the proportions by 25%, I'd rather have too much dough and not enough. I put the round in a 14.5 inch perforated cutter pan that was sprayed with Pam. I lightly docked the skin. I put the pizza on a preheated 550 degree stone. I turned the oven down to 475 degrees so the crust would cook longer and get crisper. After 3 minutes I removed the pizza, added 6oz of Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage, 8 oz of ball mozz, and 4oz of Classico tomato basil sauce. I added some fennel seed and used a stick blender to smooth it out. I used fennel because I like the way it tasted on the old Pizza Hut thin crust Italian sausage pizza. I removed the pizza from the pan and set it back on the stone for another 5 minutes. I ran the convection fan for 1 more minute to brown the top. It turned out pretty good. It was crispy on the outside and just a little chewy on the inside. I had a lot of nice bubbles. It could have been a little thinner.

I still had about 14oz by weight of dough left over. I put it back in the fridge for 2 days. I took it out and let it set at room temp for 5 hours. I rolled it out to almost paper thin. I used the same procedure that I used for the first one. I made this more southwestern. I topped it with,  4oz of grilled peppered chicken tenders, 3oz Picante sauce, 5oz cheddar jack cheese. I used less toppings because the crust was thinner and lighter. It turned out great. It was very crisp, and had a nice light bite. It was a little chewy in the middle. The long rise made for a tastier crust with better texture, but the first pizza would do in a pinch. The first three pics are of the Italian sausage, the last three are of the southwest pizza. It was really thin. Pic 4 shows how thin and wispy the dough was.

Offline Mad_Ernie

Re: My try at "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza"
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:02:26 AM »
Looks very good.   :chef:

Can you give us more details on the recipe you used for making the dough, and any other ingredients you used (sauce, brand and types of cheese, etc.)?

Way to go!  Keep posting your results.
Let them eat pizza.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »
Thanks! I used the recipe found in the forum on the cracker crust thread, "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza".  For the Italian sausage I used Johnsonville Sweet Italian Sausage, a 8 oz ball of real mozz, 6oz of Classico tomato/basil sauce. I infused a teaspoon of fennel seed in the sauce to mimic the flavor of Pizza Hut's thin crust Italian sausage pizza from the 60's to 70's era. I used a stick blender to smooth out the sauce before using. I also precooked the sausage.

For the southwestern pizza I grilled Tyson's chicken tenders. I first coated them with fresh ground black pepper to give them a kick. I used Mild Pace Picante Sauce instead of tomato. I drained some of the liquid off to keep the crust from getting soggy, I shredded the Kraft cheddar jack cheese. I heated my pizza stone to 550 degrees, I then turned down the stove to 475 degrees. I did this to let the crust cook longer and to drive off more moisture. I lightly docked the skin, and brushed with olive oil to help seal and crisp the crust. It seems to keep the crust from getting soggy on top. I par baked the skin for 3 minutes, then loaded the toppings and baked it in the oven for about 5 minutes directly on the stone. I  used the convection fan for 1 more minute to brown the top. I warmed the leftovers the next day in the oven, it was even crispier, and still was wonderful. I used KA bread flour. I used the recipe below. It is from Steve's post... "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza." It is in the Cracker style thread, 3rd page down.

1 pound bread flour (Sam's Club "Bakers and Chefs bread flour")
2/3 cup warm water
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Using a KitchenAid stand mixer fitted with a dough hook, add water to the mixing bowl and add yeast. Run mixer for several minutes to dissolve yeast. Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. After yeast is dissolved, add flour mixture to water and set mixer to speed "2". Run mixer for about 10 minutes using a rubber spatula to scrape any dry flour from side of mixing bowl into the path of the dough hook. After 10 minutes, add vegetable oil and mix for 2 additional minutes using spatula to keep everything in the path of the dough hook. When finished, the dough will appear very scrappy and rough. Pick up the dough scraps and press them into a ball by squeezing them together with your hands. Place dough into a plastic bucket, seal, and and allow to rise at room temperature for 24 hours.

When ready to make pizza, turn dough out onto floured work surface. Using a large rolling pin, roll dough out very thin. Drape dough over an oiled cutter pan, press into place, and trim off excess with the rolling pin. Dock the dough, add sauce, cheese, and toppings. Bake at 500 degrees F. on the lowest rack in the oven (the cutter pan should only be inches from the heating element). I open the oven door frequently to allow the heat to escape... this causes the thermostat to kick on which keeps the bottom heating element on. This superheats the pan making the crust cook and become crispy. When the bottom is golden brown and crisp, remove from oven. Slide pizza out of pan onto a wire cooling rack. Allow to cool 5 to 10 minutes before placing in a serving tray and slicing.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:44:10 PM by nick57 »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »
Very nice work!
 8)
-Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 02:45:10 PM »
Nick,

It looks like you tweaked the starting dough recipe you used, so can you clarify which of the two cracker style recipes at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_recipes.html you used?

Also, in your discussion you mentioned that you pre-baked the crust but later in your discussion you indicated that you put everything on the pizza without first pre-baking the crust. It sounds like you may have used both methods and, if so, can you clarify which method you used for which pizza?

I agree that you did a nice job.

Peter

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
On the 3rd page of the Cracker style thread is the "Best ever thin cracker crust pizza." Steve is the author of the post. He says he used DKM's recipe. Looks like he has tweaked it quite bit as he experiments. The dough ingredients  and procedure I listed in my reply post, was from Steve's post. On his recipe, he does not par bake the skins first. Steve has really worked hard to perfect it. Between Steve and DKM I got some really great advice from the postings. I was really surprised how well the pies turned out. I'm used to working with softer doughs, but I had no problem with these. I will try again to reproduce my results. I have learned that I like the crust thinner as was my southwestern pizza. I par baked both skins before adding toppings. I don't do that with thicker pizza's or Vera Pizza Napolentana. I've been trying for over two years to get something that was really good. After much trial and error, and great help from the forum, I'm really pleased with the results. I decided to post my thoughts and pics. I thought that they turned out well enough that I would not get laughed off the site. Ha! Just kidding. I think everyone here is great. I thank my lucky stars I found it. I am a fine artist by trade, but pizza is my second love. Trying for pizza perfection is almost an addiction. One of the best that I can think of. Hope this clears the confusion.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 12:03:32 PM »
Pizza look great!  :chef:

Now I'm hungry!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Online nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 11:32:54 PM »
Thanks Steve!!!!!! I hate this site. Not! It makes me wanna eat some wonderful pizza. It's hard when you watch your weight. Thanks for all your time and effort in making this a great site. I think most members here make better pizza than you can buy. I have learned so much, and have so much more to learn. I  can't wait to try other recipes on this site. I am partial to thin crust, but I make a mean Pizza Bianca. I'll share my recipe when I am sure I can explain it  easily for the members to replicate. Pizza is the food of the Gods!!