Author Topic: dough problem ny style  (Read 732 times)

Offline aljo79

dough problem ny style
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:08:03 PM »
i would really appreciate any help i can get on this, i have some problems with bakers percentage. most of the recipes that i come across  usually require like 60 to 65% water, either i dont understand the bakers percentage at all or i am doing something else completely wrong to make my dough to sticky and wet and it does not rise in the fridge at all after 24h and than when brought to room temperature it rises but more like flat and soft.
here is my recipe

flour KASL 100%/ 1 pound /16 oz
water 60% / 9.6 oz
salt 1.25 teaspoon
sugar 1.25 teaspoon
olive oil 3 teaspoon
IDY .75 teaspoon

i use kitchen aid standard mixer, i mix the sugar and water for 2 min on low speed, than i ad the flour, salt and IDY allready blended together  and mix on low for two minutes, than i ad the oil and mix everything on medium speed for 10 min. after 10 min the dough is really sticky to touch, and if i use less water the dough and follow the same procedure the dough is usually firmer but not smooth like when  make the dough balls they look more rough than smooth.could someone explain to me what i am doing wrong, like i said either i don`t fully understand the baker percentage or i am doing something else wrong, i know that this site is full of pizza experts and hopefully someone would be able to help me out, any help is really appreciated, thank you

« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 11:26:20 PM by aljo79 »

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: dough problem ny style
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »
Yeast?

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:16:38 PM »
yeast oil and sugar are missing from your 'ny style' recipe.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline aljo79

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 11:28:57 PM »
i am sorry  i did not expect that quick of reply but i was not finished wit my post when i accidentally his send, i just finished it now.sorry

Offline theppgcowboy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
After you do the initial mix of just a couple of minutes at the beginning, just enough to get everything mixed up, an autolyse, rest for 20 minutes would probably help.  I noticed that everything gets hydrated better when I do it.  Then I begin the knead of the dough.  Works for me.  You may also want to take note of Normas preferment thread, it will take your pies to the next level.

pizzapan