Author Topic: Broiler Timing Mini Breakthrough  (Read 2090 times)

Offline communist

Re: Broiler Timing Mini Breakthrough
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 09:47:48 PM »
Scott, Ya, I do like that color!  I will continue to play around with broiler timing.  I have my pizza making processed streamlined, and with four kids efficiency is important.  I really like my NY pie, and am hesitant to get into preferments right now.  It seems most of the experienced pie makers on the forum do not think that preferments are key to the NY pie, that is, with a lot of experience and talent, they may add a bit, but are far from essential to the NY pie.  Would you agree?  Thanks, Mark

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:02 AM »
Strictly speaking, I consider preferments to be well outside the 4-7 minute classical NY style pizzamaking canon.  If someone lives in NY, has lived in NY or visited, had a slice and wished to re-create it exactly, I would do my best to discourage them from using a preferment.

Peter includes preferments in the 'artisan' pizza specification:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,10173.msg89410.html#msg89410

which I fully resonate with.

As far as my personal feelings about preferments go... if someone would have mentioned them prior to my joining this forum, I probably would have had some choice words for them.  But, now that I've seen what preferments can do in a NYish setting (Norma, Brian Spangler, Terry Deane, Peter, etc.) I'm much more tolerant.  Norma, especially, has had some incredibly creamy looking preferment based crumbs. Out of all the long time NY aficionados on the forum, I'm pretty sure that every single one of them has dabbled at least once with a preferment. I'm a slice guy at the core- I bleed paper plates :) so my personal preferment journey may be later rather than sooner, but I'd never attempt to prevent someone from exploring that area themselves.

So, yes, try preferments, but, hey, there's no rush  ;D

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 08:10:31 AM »
I procured a 16"x16"x3/8" metal plate this weekend, I am looking forward to trying it. under the broiler.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:31 AM »
Communist, that first crumb shot you posted is picture perfect for me.  As much as I like the flavor starters bring, I have a harder time getting the desired texture, unless it's a young/low acid starter.   I may end up there someday, but I've gone back to IDY and CY many times. 

Offline communist

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 10:39:04 AM »
Scott, Jackie, thanks for the advice.  Jackie, I am enjoying your thread on NY pie in the wood fired oven!  Mark

Offline jjdec05

• The more I learn,the more I know how little I know
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 06:43:18 PM »
Communist, those pies are quintessentially NY pizzeria pies.  Looks great.

Offline communist

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 10:27:06 PM »
Thanks JJ!

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2011, 01:58:44 PM »
Mark, I think you'll be pleased with the results.  For every dough and oven setup there's going to be an ideal broiling start point, so you might get better results a little earlier, but I think the generally concept of initial bottom heat to send the crust soaring/billowing and then later top heat to set it and brown it is sound. I have no doubt that there will be an ideal window to apply the top heat so that the spring is at it's peak- too early and the dough will not have risen enough, too late and the dough might possibly collapse.

At some point I want to connect a webcam to my oven door so I can approach this a little more scientifically.  Until then, though, I'm very confident that late broiling is the way to go.

Scott,
Interesting information you've got here.  I have a feeling you can take most of the guessing out of when to broil by baking your pizza the way we do commercially....that is, bake from the bottom up.  Constantly monitor the bottom of your pizza, and based on how long your particular oven browns the top on broil, use this info to figure when to turn on the broiler.  I'm guessing one could figure out when he had a minute or minute and a half to go on the bottom, then turn on the broiler....and if by chance the broiler isn't working fast enough, simply throw a screen under your pizza to stop the bottom form browning further.   Very, very interesting stuff Scott.

John