Author Topic: Biagio's Stuffed Pizza from the 1980's in the Chicagoland area  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Saturday Coffee

Biagio's Stuffed Pizza from the 1980's in the Chicagoland area
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:25:50 PM »
Does anyone remember a pizza from the 1980's in the Chicagoland area called Biagio's.   I am pretty sure it was called Biagio's or a name very similar.

They had a stuffed pizza (as in top crust and bottom crust - like a real pie) that was packed full of cheese and meats (sausage). 
I had it twice in the early or mid 1980's.  It was round maybe 10 inches in diameter and 2 inches high.  It was a take-away or take-out  we drove there to pick it up while it would still be piping hot.

If they are still around I would like to re-visit them someday.  In the meantime, I am seeking a recipe for something similar to this taste I remember.  This would be my all time favorite pizza pie... if only I could find them.

Offline pizzard

Re: Biagio's Stuffed Pizza from the 1980's in the Chicagoland area
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »
Bacino's perhaps?   ::)

This was my favorite Chicago Style pizza when I lived there, but a few years ago tried their pizza in LaGrange and it wasn't even edible...globs of cheese and very little sauce.  It was quite disappointing, but perhaps we hit it on a off night. 

Offline Saturday Coffee

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:16 AM »
I found it....

Biagio Cirrincione (or the family) now operate under Suparossa Pizza and Banquets By Biagio.  He must be in his late 70's or close to 80 by now.

Has anyone tried the stuffed Pizza at Suparossa?     http://www.suparossawoodridge.com/carryout_pizza.html

His pizza from the early 1980's -- would be the the benchmark I strive for when making a stuffed pizza.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »
I found it....

Biagio Cirrincione (or the family) now operate under Suparossa Pizza and Banquets By Biagio.  He must be in his late 70's or close to 80 by now.

Has anyone tried the stuffed Pizza at Suparossa?     http://www.suparossawoodridge.com/carryout_pizza.html

His pizza from the early 1980's -- would be the the benchmark I strive for when making a stuffed pizza.

I used to get the stuffed at their Central Ave. location. IMHO,their stuffed is better than Giordano's, Edwardo's, or many of the "big" name stuffed joints. If anyone is thinking about it, definitely try it.

Offline shwishdeen

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 01:18:19 AM »
Suparossa on Central between Montrose and Irving - best stuffed pizza in Chicago (and therefore, obviously, best anywhere). Compared to Giordano's / other places - sauce is better, crust has better texture and taste, toppings are large chunks and super fresh.

I always get shrimp and garlic with anchovies on top of the sauce. Three slices and then I pass out.

You may think my choice of toppings is gross - but seriously - Suparossa is the best. Biagio's is still the name of the catering and special event arm of the company.