Author Topic: this weeks keste's visit  (Read 1533 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
this weeks keste's visit
« on: August 28, 2011, 10:49:04 PM »
 had a chance to hit keste's this week and did the cold pizza test for toughness. there wasn't any toughness to the cold pizza!! the dough was melt in your mouth tender. i asked roberto about the fact that my dough gets tough when cold. his comment was oven and stretching kept it tender. the mixer didn't make as much difference as the other two factors.
 tonight for my wood pizza special i made two pizzas one early in the evening when the over was hot but not quite to where it needed to be. the second pizza later at higher temperature and delicate streching. the second pizza was much better al the way around. still a little tough cold ,but better. i used my vcm 75% caputo 25% kasl. next batch back to straight caputo. pics fist 3 keste last mine.

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: this weeks keste's visit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:58 PM »
lovely looking pies Larry.   All 4 of them.   ;)  Wish I could taste Roberto's Crust to compare it to my own. 

Chau

parallei

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 10:58:01 PM »
and stretching kept it tender

What are you guys referring to here with the "stretching"?

Thanks....

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 04:32:46 AM »
 the stretching method is what i meant to write. he is gentle with how he opens the dough.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »
Larry,

The pictures of Keste’s pies and yours look very tasty.  :) I had watched Roberto when I was at Keste’s opening his dough balls.  He did gently open the dough balls.  I wish I had thought to take a video of him opening his doughs. 

Very interesting questions you asked Roberto.  Thanks for posting what he had to say!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:06 AM »
The Keste pies have a slightly different look than other pictures I've seen. Less charring and oven spring maybe? Is the cheese on his filetti different from the cheese on his Margherita? The cheese on the Margherita looks whiter and appears to melt differently, or is it just the pictures?

Larry, your pie looks great as always.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

parallei

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
the stretching method is what i meant to write. he is gentle with how he opens the dough.

Thanks for the clarification Larry.  I was afraid there might be some new esoteric method I was missing out on. ;D  Your pie looks great.....as usual.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
 craig, the first pizza was a regina margherita which has buffalo mozz and cherry tomatoes on it. the other was the standard margherita  i think he is using cheese that he stretches in house. roberto was comming back from training in jersey, one of the members on the forum is in the class. he was in between shifts, his crew were making when we ate. they were being watch by roberto and the dough was handled gently. his pizza is slightly thicker than say motorinos and the pizza stands up to the  the toppings. not much on the plate to clean up with the crust. i always ask for olive oil to dunk that crust in. plates are clean when i eat there.
 he talked highly of a new pizza restaurant that just opened pizzarte. Neapolitan pizza, pasta and art from Naples artists. the pasta chef came from Naples to work at convivio which closed a few days after he arrived because of employee labor issues. will try it next visit.
 i also had pizza at colicchio and sons it was quite delicious a lite tender dough that was topped with exotic toppings. the pizza was about the toppings. it cooked in a woodstone oven which they cook most of their lunch items in. got a tour of their kitchen very impressive everything is done in house including the butchering.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 09:38:12 PM »
Larry you devil  >:D you went to Keste and didnt call me? I thought we were friends  :'( ?
oh well I will keeep it on my list pies look nice Did you see the dough boxes sometines the dough has a tendancy from what I have seen in the pics and in erson at amano to be slightly overfernmented ? might be reason for the lighter and smaller crumb craig?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 09:49:43 PM »
John, i should of called next time I'll come to nj or you hit the city . last night I took left over dough and cooked on my primavera 70. The results were very good . The same dough was lite and tender even cold!! The oven was hot and with the raised floor the heat was balanced . I think robertos comment on the oven making a big difference in the tenderness is right on. The dough was one day older at 72 hours but kept verynCold so aged very little

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 11:55:42 PM »
 the above post was on my i phone so i added pictures . the dough behaved so much better . i am reading ettore's post and i'm going to try adding flour a little at a time till it feels right to me. i'll pull out my sp5 which has been collecting dust for this test.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
the above post was on my i phone so i added pictures . the dough behaved so much better . i am reading ettore's post and i'm going to try adding flour a little at a time till it feels right to me. i'll pull out my sp5 which has been collecting dust for this test.

Hi Larry,
Hope all is well.  Pizza looks great!  With respect to mixing with the SP5, I add my flour a little at a time from start up until around the 8 minute mark.  I then let it go for another minute or so followed by a riposo for 15-20 minutes, a rigenero, a quick shaping & into a proofing container.  

Matt

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 08:02:53 AM »
matt, thanks when are you going to amano? looks like you have a lot going on. can you tell me what that max amount of flour the sp5 can handle

Offline Matthew

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
matt, thanks when are you going to amano? looks like you have a lot going on. can you tell me what that max amount of flour the sp5 can handle

Hi Larry,
Unfortunately the timing didn't work due to busy schedules on both ends.  The max flour is 8 lbs.  Most of my work lately has been on a Pietroberto Fork mixer which does an absolutely amazing job at incorporating air into the dough. 

Matt