Author Topic: Focaccia alla Genovase - No commercial yeast  (Read 15719 times)

Offline jasonmolinari

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Focaccia alla Genovase - No commercial yeast
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2007, 08:28:41 AM »
Bill, if you're interested.
Traditional genovese focaccia is brushed with a 50/50 mix of oil and water as soon as it comes out of the oven. Don't worry, it won't make your focaccia soggy. Try it.

Offline KoolDO

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 03:03:01 PM »
Bill, just out of curiosity how come you decided not to bake the focaccia in your Earthstone?  If you have I'm curious how you would go about baking breads in there?  I have read here and been told that bread is baked with little or no flame, is that correct?  Is that the same for foccacia?

On another note, I tried to make some focaccia on my stone last week using a KA recipe with a 15 hour poolish using my stone, and they didn't really come out that great.  I wasn't sure if I should have stretched the ball out a little bit like a pizza or just throw the dough ball right on the stone and let it bake, so I kind of stretched it a little bit and try and put those dimple marks with my fingers.  Anyway, I had trouble getting the focaccia to bake evenly and the dimple marks werent there when it came out of the oven, lol.  I'm gonna give it another try this week after I attempt Peters NY style pizza recipe he posted on my thread.

Joe

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:33:02 PM »
Bill, just out of curiosity how come you decided not to bake the focaccia in your Earthstone?  If you have I'm curious how you would go about baking breads in there?  I have read here and been told that bread is baked with little or no flame, is that correct?  Is that the same for foccacia?

Usually I bake breads the day after baking pizzas using the residual oven heat (~450F-500F). Ashes/coals are removed or I place a steel barrier between the coals and bread to prevent uneven baking. For whatever reason, I usually don't feel like eating focaccia the day after eating pizza so when I do bake focaccia, it is almost always in the kitchen oven.

Bill/SFNM

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 11:21:08 PM »
Bill,  I finally got around to trying out your recipe in reply 13 on this thread,  I did not realize until during mixing that I should have deducted the starter quantity from these proportions but just added some extra flour to bring the hydration down a bit.  I also added about .5 tsp IDY to try and get this done in less than 10 hours.  Anyhow,  I really like the results and with a couple more little tweaks this could become an old standby.  A very good sandwich bread!  I used KABF which I had on hand.  Thanks!    -Marc