Author Topic: Cafe Capriccio, Albany, NY  (Read 1340 times)

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Cafe Capriccio, Albany, NY
« on: June 13, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
Cafe Capriccio has long been one the best restaurants (ignore the 50's decor) in the capital region and now they are making real Neapolitan pizza in a wood fired oven. Caputo 00 at 1000 in an oven from Italy!!!!!! I did not try to see the oven as they were very busy but the waiter told me it came from Italy. They offer a number of different pizzas, my wife and shared a "Cappriccioso" (Mozzarella, tomatoes, artichokes, black olives and prosciutto) for an appetizer and it was fabulous.

I understand the owner, Jim Rua is opening a more casual place in Saratoga called Capriccio Saratoga that will be modeled after a Neapolitan-style trattoria and will have pizza as well.

The website has not been updated for a while and does not mention the pizza
http://www.cafecapriccio.com/
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: Cafe Capriccio, Albany, NY
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Thanks for the heads up mmarston, I'm presently living in Albany, soon to be Glenmont, so I will put it on my to-do list. I have never been there. While we're on the suject, have you ever tried Pizza Mare on Central Ave? They've been advertising a lot lately on radio, and supposedly they won some of the catagories in the "Pizza Wars" event that was held at Proctor's during the winter. I went to Proctor's that night and never made it in, too crowded.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline mmarston

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 08:48:52 PM »
I have not been to Pizza Mare as I usually make my own but I'll look into it.

Offline AndreasMergner

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
My wife and I went to Cafe Capriccio this last Sunday.  On Sundays they have Family Night where you pay $25/person (2 minimum) and get to share a Margherita pizza, a salad, a pasta dish and then each person has a choice of an entree.  It is quite a deal and a ton of food.  The pizza was great!  My pasta was even better!  (I forget what it was called, but it is the one with caramelized onions and pancetta).

I talked to the head chef, Franco, and took a look at the oven.  It is a refractory oven burning wood.  He also showed me his fancy new dough mixer from Italy.  The oven going in at Saratoga will be a brick oven.  Franco is a really nice guy and was manning the oven, which is located on the upper dining area. 

I always have an exceptional meal there, although I think their wait staff can be a little snooty.  They do know their food and wine though.

I'll have to check out Pizza Mare one of these days.  We should have an informal get together for the Albany area Pizza Making group!

Offline mmarston

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 09:10:41 AM »
Family night is a great deal. I've never done it but i can imagine taking home a lot of leftovers as my wife and I usually share a few things.