Author Topic: Pizzeria Bianco Review  (Read 4915 times)

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
Re: Pizzeria Bianco Review
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Need names please! I plan to eat a lot of pizza that week!  :pizza:

Off the top of my head, I can think of Centurion (between 2nd Ave and 3rd Ave on Roosevelt).  The owner of the place is a friend of a friend. He doesn't specialize in pizza, and has a tendency to undercook the crust, but other than that, is really pretty good.  In Tempe, there is Classic Italian Pizza (Just east of Rural Rd on Baseline Dr).  They've been pretty good when I've been there, but judging by comments on the online reviews (and the experience of one of my coworkers), the quality can be fairly hit-or-miss.

There are several Graimaldi's in the Valley.  The one I'm most familiar with is in Chandler (56th St and Ray Rd... I think...).  When I took my wife there a few weeks back, she was very impressed by it, and said she'd rather eat there again than try Bianco again.

Going down a notch, there is a BJ's (chain restaurant/brewpub that makes decent deep dish pizzas) in the Chandler Fashion mall.  In Tempe is the Four Peaks brewpub, which makes good (not outstanding) pizza.

I'm mostly an East Valley guy, which explains the number of places in my list that are in Tempe or Chandler.  Maybe we have some *actual* Phoenecians that can recommend some places at the other end of the Valley/downtown?

[EDIT]
Forgot to mention - for those following the thread on the American Style discussion board - there is a Mellow Mushroom in downtown Tempe.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:56:12 AM by SquirrelFlight »

Offline David Deas

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 06:58:05 PM »
Not suggesting that Bianco does this, but I believe I read in Peter Reinhart's book, "American Pie", he suggested boiling pepperoni for a few minutes to lessen the grease on the finished pie. You might wanna try that and see if it is what you're looking for.

Or just top the pizza with the greasy stuff towards the tail end of the bake, or at the completion of the bake.  Pretty standard.

I had Bianco this past December on a pizza road trip and was not at all as impressed as the masses seem to be. It wasn't at all bad, but the hype built up around said establishment was not lived up to.

Meh.

Or you're just used to Dominos.  Or any of the multitudes of chain (or chain like) pizza establishments that hide fundamentally bad pizza beneath a mountain of meat, cheese and other assorted toppings.  

If you grab some random red neck from deep Alabama and take him out to UPN he won't understand the hype either.  I'm always cautious of these types of reviewers.  Based on what little you've posted here, its just not clear to me you ever had a *chance* to understand the hype to begin with.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:11:39 PM by David Deas »

Offline SquirrelFlight

• Who needs nuts?
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2012, 04:15:05 PM »
So Steve, when exactly is your trip out this way?

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2012, 07:33:00 PM »
So Steve, when exactly is your trip out this way?

Next week  :)

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »
Sitting at the bar at Bianco... My pizza just arrived! Yum!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 09:14:05 PM by Steve »

Offline randyjohnsonhve

« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2012, 09:04:14 PM »

Enjoy...It doesn't get any better...The passion, the product, the humbleness...

RJelli :chef:
"Pizza Evolves...Our Best Pizza Ever is Not Today." It is 'what' is right, not 'who' is right that matters.

Offline Steve

• Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
Pizza was delicious! Will post pictures when I get back home.  :chef: