Author Topic: Olive Oil vs Vegetable Oil  (Read 10363 times)

Offline rkoler

• I Love Pizza!
Olive Oil vs Vegetable Oil
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:03:48 PM »
I am new to this forum, and made my first cracker crust pizza today.  I have to admit.  I have been making pizza at home for over 30 years.  Even though this is my first try with this recipe, it is the best I have ever made.

My question is this.  I used Olive oil.  Does it make a difference?

Also, I had a lot of dough left over.  Does anyone re-use the left over. 

I divided the recipe by 3 and multiplied by 2 to get a 2/3 recipe, and made two more batches.  With one of them, I mixed in the used dough, and am letting rest again in sealed bowl.  I will see tomorrow what it is like.

Maybe with the 2/3 recipe, I will not have so much leftover.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
Re: Olive Oil vs Vegetable Oil
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 06:04:59 PM »
Try using Crisco (vegetable shortening). You won't be disappointed!

Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 07:21:10 PM »
If using Crisco try the zero grams trans fat in the green can.  Much better for you and no taste difference.

You are right about how good this pizza is.  I was equally surprised the first time I tried it.

Offline buzz

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:29:20 AM »
This is weird--when my Mom makes her excellent pies, she uses tons of Crisco, and I don't taste it. But when I make a yeasted dough using Crisco, I taste it in the final product. Has anyone else had this experience?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 11:50:26 AM »
No, not in DKM's thin crust and not in the 3 tablespoons I use in my Chicago recipe.

Randy

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 02:10:53 PM »
Randy, I am into trying your crisco idea.  I usually only have strong flavored olive oil's around the house, and recently swithced to using vegetable because I found the flavor of the strong olive oil to adversly effect my crust flavor.  Just one question, will the crisco keep the right texture in New York and Neapolitan style doughs?

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 06:06:22 PM »
Scott, most of us on this site use Classico Olive oil from the grocery store.  It is much milder than extra virgin.  It is one of the great secrets that I found out when the forum got started.
Crisco will give you a little darker crust and is well worth a try.
Post a few pics when you give it a try.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2005, 06:13:01 PM »
As far as structure goes it will make the crust a little darker than oil and the external crust will be a little thicker is what I have observed.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2005, 06:26:06 PM »
thanks randy, I am psyched to try it.  Also thanks for the Classico tip! There has been so much to read and learn since I became a member that I have not had time to go too far back in the archives.  Also, maybe the crisco will help me to get my caputo to work better at 550 since it is even better at darkening than oil.

Offline buzz

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 10:11:55 AM »
Interesting--,maybe it's just my weird taste buds! I've done many, many experiments with shortening in pizza dough and find that it comes out way too greasy and "Crisco-y" tasting. Not so when I make a pie crust, which has way, way more shortening than a pizza dough, so it must be something in the rising process!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2005, 10:42:50 AM »
Buzz have you tried the zero trans fat Crisco?
I am that way about conala oil.  I hate the smell but everyone swears by DKM's Chicago crust that uses it.
I do use Classico olive oil at the rate of 1 tablespoon per pound of flour for my hand tossed pizza that is a close cousin to a New York style.  I have used Crisco many times but never had a Crisco flavor but I like my crust a little darker than most.
After Scott tries the Classico olive oil he will have more avenues to try.
By the way I make a real good pie crust too.

Randy

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2005, 11:25:42 AM »
Haven't tried the trans fat Crisco--I'm very leery of shortening now! I use canola is my deep dish, and don't taste it at all, but when I've experimented with olive oil (I use Carapelli extra light, which is an excellent oil), I find that it bakes up to a "burned" taste, which I find unpleasant.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 08:12:03 AM »
I tried the classico, and the pies turned out awesome. You can see the pics on the Lehmann thread. Really great flavor, thank you so much.  I bought some of the good for you crisco yesterday, and I plan on making the pizza inn crust next.   It is so much fun being able to make different styles with confidence thanks to you guys!  How did I exist before I found this place???????

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 09:41:23 AM »
Scott I think Classico is a secret that Italians did not want us to find out about so they would have a market for the stinky extra virgin stuff  that the TV chefs tout.  I bet before I found out about Classico I would not use a bottle up before it went bad, now we buy a  big bottle every month.  Try making your own salad dressing with it.  I use two tablespoons per can of 6-in-1 in my sauce to brighten the flavor.
And like you until I came to this site I had never tried a Chicago or a cracker thin crust.  Now, each week we have a differant style.

Randy

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 12:13:53 PM »
I know a bunch of people on the forum like to use penzy's spices.  When I was putting in an order for some dry pizza spices I decided to try out some of their salad dressing blends.  They make really good dressing.  My wife will not let me buy premixed brands anymore.  Highly recommended!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 12:19:34 PM »
I buy a lot of spices from Penzeys but I have tried the salad stuff.  The ladies on the baking list swear by the soup bases so I will order both.
Thanks for the tip Scott.

Randy

pizzapan