Author Topic: mobil oven  (Read 16996 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
mobil oven
« on: July 11, 2011, 12:45:25 AM »
 starting to get comfortable with the mobil oven. we did a local winery and did as they suggested prepped for 50 to 75 people. sold out in 90 minutes. 175 customers that night, lot of disappointed people. seem there is a big demand for wood pizza!! will be better stocked next time. we did get asked back as the winery made the customer projections. pics

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: mobil oven
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:03:53 AM »
And a beauty she is! The oven and pizza that is....ahem.. :angel:  

You and John getting paid to throw pizza parties? I'm totally envious!

Chau
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 09:59:47 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
Looks great Larry!!
100% Caputo right? Nothing like being a little off on the head count . When they tell you 50 and 175 show up? that would  be a bit frustrating! I generally leave with 12+ dough balls and don't mind flour is cheap (sort of) but better safe than sorry. I have Friday and Saturday parties this week, and 7/28 is being capped at 60 people. fun fun!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 08:20:11 AM »
john, thanks next time i will be better prepared. friday was a day from hell. i was setting up this event, cooking and setting up for a rehearsal dinner, as well as my normal friday business. it was quite an interesting day. very happy when midnight hit. oh, and the health department called me at 5 pm to ask about my preparation and temperatures on my mobil oven. glad my crew had the temperature gun i had them shoot the oven and cambros, she left happy.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
Great post, thezaman!

So I've got a question for you and other mobile oven operators: what do you with the coals/ashes after the event? Do you just seal up hatch and drive on home or do you empty out and dispose of the ashes? If you leave them in the oven, are there motor vehicle codes that regulate transporting something that could be hazardous in the event, heaven forbid, of an accident?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
Bill ,
As far as transport I just scoop out as much as I can and leave it open not seal. the oven creates a vacuum going down the road and all ashes head to the back of the oven. I am not sure of Motor Vehicle codes nor do I plan to check on them. Then I can just say honestly  "really I didnt know that" truthfully this is so unique and new in this area they may stop me just to check it out but I dont think the fine officers of the law have a clew what is is, or what is does, or the fact that it gets to 1000 degrees.  I hope to never be involved in an accident. I must say I am very cautious when cruising around with a 2000lb oven behind me.  But hey you never know right. I also ride a motorcycle and my beliefs are based on fate and using extreme caution.
JOhn

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:39:50 PM »
Great post, thezaman!

So I've got a question for you and other mobile oven operators: what do you with the coals/ashes after the event? Do you just seal up hatch and drive on home or do you empty out and dispose of the ashes?
Can't speak for Larry or John but I have seen more than one operator pack up after an event. In each case they just put the door on and drove away. No issues at all (regarding ash or cinders) is what I was told when I asked the same question as you.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 08:41:28 PM by jeff v »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:55:08 PM »
my door locks shut. the oven cools and i take it way. i have not gone over 15 miles away from home. i always ask if the truck can sit overnight for safety.i have always taken it right after the event is over.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:26:11 PM »
 we were invited back to matus winery friday night. the last visit we sold out in 90 minutes. this time i came with 85 dough balls . for a two and a half hour event. this was a blast the dough and oven cooperated my daughter, her boyfriend an i handled the event. their goal is to take over the mobil oven and turn it into a buisness to supliment their incomes. i will still be helping whenever possible . they needed to do as much as possible friday night to see if they are ready to go solo. we made it to 8 pm,left with 5 pieces of dough and plenty of all ingrediant but cheese. i cut that one to close. we sold the last five as marinara pizzas with whaeever meats they wanted . extra 80.00 in sales. thanks john of flirting with fire for all of my new gi metal.he got it to me in one day. it was delivered before the check arrived at his door!!! i am including a few pics.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 08:12:19 PM »
Larry,

Thanks for sharing your pictures at the Mantus Winery.  Looks like your daughter, boyfriend and you had a great time.  Nice looking pies!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 09:32:01 PM »
Larry,
Thanks for the plug on the GI tools, glad to help out ! Set up looks great! and the pizzas even better!  I dont see the 3 bay sink anywhere? 85 pies in 2 1/2 hour is a nice pace. you were cooking 2 at a time at some point right?  I can only imagine the positive comments and feed back you received  with a product like that and a good red wine to wash it all down!  :P fun right? and a nice break from the pizza restaurant as well right?
John
the curiousity is killing me, how many pounds of cheese for the 80 pies, 15ish? I know I use about 2 lbs for 9-10 pies
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:35:46 PM by JConk007 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 11:26:25 PM »
 john, i can't say enough about the members of this forum and their trust for each other. i have had exchanges with many and the followup and trust has been wonderful. when i place my order with you and you told me the order was on its way,i put the check in the mail that day. I'm glad i did the next morning every item showed up.
 the sink is a 4 compartment it is really nice you could build one easily, the base is a Rubbermaid product. it was behind us.
  i used 20 pounds of grande curd. we tried to put 3.5 ounces on each pizza. we did have to cook two at a time. usually i would dome on and the other was loaded in the back of the oven. i would then drop the first pie and finish it.
  you don't know how nice it was taking a friday off and really having fun learning a new skill, especially with family. i got to say i lingered awhile after the event partaking in the non food part of the night. they asked us back on october and wanted some winter events cooking in the barn.
  aside note there is a corn recipe in the a-16 cook book using shucked corn with sea-salt,evoo and fresh ground pepper baked in the wfo.the winery gave me a bunch of corn which i cooked for them they went crazy over it.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »
No problem Larry. I trust most members , they cant leave or the learning ends, so I I'll track em down here. its the non members I am worried about ???
so you are good with the health dept now right? Must be fun for you and its really great you are doing it with the family. I would love my 5.5 year old daughter to learn the ropes and be a mobile pizza girl as well. There is No better  teacher than real life!
John
could you get me som pics of the 4 bay so I can gather the goodies. I will attempt to build one this winter. Maybe Jet deck will consult for me  :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:49:35 AM by JConk007 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 03:57:54 PM »
john here are the picks. the sink is 4 compartment. hand wash, soap, rinse,sanitize.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »
Thanks  for posting Larry ! Yep gonna try that. Does not look too overly complicated.  What are dimensions of the sinks? What size is the water heater ? gal? is this unit NSF? where the faucets at? doesnt look to bad to try, just need to find the base.  Its electric right?  pump and water heater, so you need power right?
Some rum on car batter too right?

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Larry, that margherita posted above is freggin' gorgeous. I'd say the same about your daughter there but I'm married, and I don't want you to kick my a$$... :-D

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »
 craig, she is becoming a good pizzaiolo. she takes it serious and will not put out garbage. next visit to new york  she want to visit roberto for some help.
  john c, here is a picture of the faucets . took them off fearing damage while transporting . the company is the peanut king .call them they will give you details on heater size. the sinks are 1/3 ss cambros 6 inches deep.

Offline Tman1

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
I had found a 4-sink unit on Craiglist over Labor Day. The gal told me I couldn't get it until Tuesday and sold it out from under me. I was ticked... could've had one for $300!!

Does make me wonder how much a home built one would be..

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:10 PM »
ABOUT $4-500 ALL IN
pump , water heater, base cabinet, some pvc, and a few camping containers, fuacets,  the ss sink is the biggie from $99-$365 for a drop in.
J

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2011, 11:55:34 PM »
Larry, can you post the brand name and model number of the heater ?  It matters alot.  Tankless water heaters (110 V.) range in price alot.  Also, alot of pumps like the one pictured in your unit are 12 V and not 110 V.  If you could get the name and model number of the pump also.  The rest is easy.

I wish you continued success, everthing looks excellent!
Thanks in advance, Jet.

ABOUT $4-500 ALL IN
pump , water heater, base cabinet, some pvc, and a few camping containers, fuacets,  the ss sink is the biggie from $99-$365 for a drop in.
J

John, I think it is going to be in the $650 - $750 range.  But, lets see what Larry is able to report about the heater and pump. :)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

pizzapan