Author Topic: mobil oven  (Read 14343 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: mobil oven
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Great stuff Larry! All day long !! Its all gonna pay off for your hard work! only 2500 to go!  :-D
Hows Lorenzos Holding up ?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2012, 12:24:31 AM »
tonight 280 ran out of cheese at the end of the night, lost some sales. oven control is of major importance. booted 10 pies because the bottom over baked.

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2012, 05:36:40 AM »
tonight 280 ran out of cheese at the end of the night, lost some sales. oven control is of major importance. booted 10 pies because the bottom over baked.

With the bottoms burning, are these due to pies left too long inside the oven or the oven floor is actually getting too hot?  I thought with the volume you're doing, the oven floor might have issues with it getting a bit lower than the ideal cooking temp. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2012, 07:21:53 AM »
Larry,

Can you tell us what you have learned from your experience thus far, especially in relation to all the advice you got?

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2012, 08:21:57 AM »
I have similar issues with the smaller mobile on a full day burn.  Basically all we are heating up it the floor tile. Not much mass for the heat to go into  so after 4-6 hours the floor tiles are very very hot.  I feel You need flame so you have to add Very small pieces or remove some of the coals earlier or every few hours  to control ther floor heat. I also find if I have a full bed of coals onone side with no andiron the area under the coals is actually cooler than the adjacent floor tiles. so I move them after 3-4 hours accross the oven. What are your thoughts Larry ?? Is the Price point OK for the area? and are you Having Fun Yet  ;D
John

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2012, 01:31:50 AM »
 day three 225 pies our neighbor said today would be the slowest day of the week.very little at lunch,4 to 10 we did 200 pies.it was a big rush, that is why i am writing at 1 am.i will get up at 6 to get my goods together for the day.

peter you asked how things have worked out in relationship to the discussions.i can say that pricing issues were right about 7.00 per pizza being to cheap.the main reason for this is that my makers over used ingredients during busy times.we are running a special pizza each day for 9 to 10 dollars and are selling them at a good rate,so, i could have got more. the other area is the amount of work involved and how that relates to profits.my cost per 9 inch pie is under 1.00 if made correctly. i have taken steps to get costs in line,most of my employees are used to the wineries and the bigger pizzas.another factor is the amount of labor involved in comparison to other vendors who buy frozen or make simple items.

i cannot asses the profitability till the weekend gets here which should push sales up considerably. at this time i would commit for another year. our neighboring vendors tell us they are shocked by the amount of business we are getting for our first year.
 a side benefit is the exposure that we are getting. i quoted a person last month on a catering job and his comment was to much for a pizza.he was at the fair today and said it was very good ,and had never tasted anything like it. he booked the flame for october!

the one point that was discussed was pizza by the slice,there are 4 of them in attendance. they all have glass counters displaying sick looking pizza. we can make a pie to order in under 5 minutes which would you choose? a few pics
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 06:45:22 AM by thezaman »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »
Larry,

You are doing a great job at selling your pizzas at the fair.  It also looks like you have a great crew.  The pictures really look good.  I know what you mean by the sick looking pizzas at fairs.  Your signage, t-shirts and set-up are beautiful.   ;D

I just get tired reading about all what you are doing.  I remember those days when I went to fairs, but wouldn’t really want to go back to those long days that needed repeated day after day.  I know you probably will be really tired at the end of the fair. 

Have fun and glad to hear you are doing well at the fair.  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Ev

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
That's awesome, Larry! I'm glad it's going so well for you. ;D

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2012, 11:13:28 PM »
Been following this thread a bit, awesome job on everything you are doing, and thank you for sharing.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2012, 12:28:16 AM »
Awesome Larry ! Za jr. should be there to round out the family ! Glad its going well! Please send a spy over to take a competition (slice) shot  ;)
Yes Mom is a little heavy on the cheese  :pizza: and
Umm nice Logo ! Kinda looks familiar  ???
great set up overall, Rest Up !!
john

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
 thanks, for the comments.today lunch was good for 101 pizzas and dinner accounted for 211 total sales 322 pizzas. we ran a three item pizza as a special for 10.00 and sold out. friday and saturday are supposed to have much bigger attendance. i am prepping 500 dough balls.
 durring the slow periods i put one of my employees on the midway tossing throw dough. that got some attention to our stand.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:50 PM »
Larry,

Looks like things are going great. Congratulations.

BTW, I notice that Pizzeria is misspelled on your sign.

Peter

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2012, 07:51:38 PM »
Larry keeps company with some of the most beautiful women/girls that I have seen at any  pizza event.  I'd buy a  pizza just to say Hi.  :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »
 peter, yes i know that it is misspelled,i did not proof the sign. it is being redone by the sign maker . ready for this to end, long hours not much sleep.
 on the positive side getting lots of practice on stretching, making ,and baking. lots of friends are helping during the evening,we are having a ball. enjoying some smuggled in beer and wine . we are creating lots of pizza based goodies with our neighboring food vendors. the best has been a nutella pizza cut into slices and each sliced topped with a different ice cream sundae. or, maybe the pizza made with our neighboring booths smoked  pulled pork, onion blooms and bbq sauce. my family feel like we are now officially carnies. 

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »
booted 10 pies because the bottom over baked.

That happens to me after a few hours.  Check your skins to see if they are too moist.  Once they are out and start to spread they seem to pick up the humidity.  I'll add semolina to the bench flour.  Just enough to break the full on contact with the deck.  Whatever burns up falls off during the turn and left on the deck floor and can be swept away.  Give it a shot.  It works for me.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2012, 11:52:20 AM »
  my family feel like we are now officially carnies. 
That is funny Larry ,and the "community" pies....man it sounds like you've had a great experience. Real happy for you.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2012, 01:16:53 AM »
 well we are done with the fair as of 10pm sunday. today was cleanup which will take a few more days to clean and organize all of the booth supplies. it was a great experience we sold 2200 pizzas and no one waited for more than 5 minutes. the 9 inch pies made it possible to cook 4 at a time when necessary.it was family ,friends, and employees who added a lot of excitement to our booth.the hours were very long but the learning experience made it worth while.i feel that i could now handle a dinner rush in a wood fired oven.the dough management was another area that got better as the week went on.a hot oven can do wonders with a dough that is just about spent.
 one of my friends that i meet thru one of the wineries was a cook in naples before he came to the US.he was knocking out 45 second pizzas as if it was nothing.his explanation was that the hot floor and dome allow the bottom to set quickly so that no steam escapes which makes it hard to get the peel under to turn the pizza.i enclosed a picture of him with a 45 second pie top and bottom,it looked really good.
  we got a lot of wonderful feed back from the fairgoers, the fair board,health department on our cleanliness , these food trailers can be a bit nasty. the report is over we will go back next year raise the price, add another item to sell,reduce my labor and build on our first year.my goal was to make enough to buy a imported wood oven ,got very close. we have two italian festivals coming up hopefully they will help make up the shortage.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 01:19:50 AM by thezaman »

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2012, 01:23:52 AM »
Congrats Larry.  I am glad that you get to rest.  The pies all looked stellar.  I am sure the fair goers enjoyed the pizza vary much.  Thanks for sharing the journey with us.  Top Shelf.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »
Yeah Ha its done  ;D Great stuff !! and glad you were able to post some of your results !  Go and rest up  and run the #s I thinbk the experience is a HUGE takeaway here beyond the $$ I cant wait to hear all about it see you in NYC next week right?
John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2012, 01:27:51 AM »
Congrats Larry, to you and your crew.   The pizza in reply 85 looks absolutely phenomenal. 

Chau