Author Topic: WalMart Great Value Crushed tomatoes in puree.  (Read 6377 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
WalMart Great Value Crushed tomatoes in puree.
« on: June 10, 2005, 11:01:13 AM »
Bought a can of Walmarts crushed tomatoes in puree and tried them on a Chicago style pizza last night.  From the can, the  taste was very good and very close to the 6-in-1.  I used Penzeys pizza seasoning to make the sauce and thought in a blind fold test it would be tough to tell the difference with 6-in-1.  The color was a bit lighter than the 6in1 but still close.
If I were to use them on a shorter cooking time pizza like my American hand tossed or DKM's thin crust then I would strain them like Jeff describes on his web site.
If you run out of 6in1 or the budget is tight I would try a 98 cent can of these.

Randy

Offline MT

• I Love Pizza!
Re: WalMart Great Value Crushed tomatoes in puree.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 03:07:51 PM »
Thanks for the great tip Randy.  On your recommendation, I tried Walmart's crushed tomatoes w/green pepper and mushrooms.  I simply drained them and spooned them on the pizza.  They tasted great straight from the can.
Thanks again.

MTC

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 05:04:35 PM »
I was surprised at well they tasted.  Using them tonight on a thin crust.   The 6in1 are better but the Great Value was surprisingly close.

Glad someone else tried them.

Randy

Offline pam

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 02:39:51 PM »
I was surprised at well they tasted.  Using them tonight on a thin crust.   The 6in1 are better but the Great Value was surprisingly close.

Glad someone else tried them.

Randy

Thanks for the tip, Randy. I tried the GV petite diced last week, and even though my expectations were high, it surpassed them. That one's definitely a keeper.

Also picked up a can of GV pear tomato strips in puree with basil. Big disappointment: great color and texture, but extremely salty and very bland. Oh well, the good news is it only cost 88 cents.
When an eel bites your eye and the pain makes you cry, that's a Moray.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
Glad you like Wally worlds best Pam.  I tried Hunt's crushed tomatoes last week and they were way down the list from good.  I still prefer the 6-in-1 but the Great Value crushed tomatoes have a little differant flavor that is quite good on cracker thin crust having a hint of green-ness that would make me believe they are not always perfectly ripe.  This hint of flavor is what makes it an excelant choice for the cracker crust.

Randy

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:31:07 PM »
I'm bringing this old topic back up.I tried 2 cans of WM GV crushed tomatoes and I added NOTHING to it.It tasted just right out of the can for me.It ended up tasting even sweeter once cooked on the pie.

I made 2 NY style pies,and each got their own can for the experiment.Both cans tasted exactly the same.I also did not tell my wife about the sauce until after we ate.She said it was very good and tomatoey.Very surprised how good it tasted with nothing mixed in.

I did sprinkle some oregano and garlic powder on top of the pizza after it came out of the oven.That aside,I'm very impressed and have to say this is a simple easy to get can of tomatoes crushed up already.

This is a great alternative to other brands that are more difficult to locate.WM is everywhere,and it's Super cheap too.Maybe $1.24 for a 28 ounce can.

Before I forget,the chunkiness of the crushed tomatoes compared to a straight puree,was not even noticeable after the cheese melted and pie was done.I could not tell it apart much from my puree sauces.That was another plus.Thats my experience,your's may vary.
 8)

-Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 06:48:08 AM »
chickenparm

I have nothing against Walmart GV tomatoes, i have eaten them and will keep a few on hand most of the time. However, there are many brands of canned crushed tomatoes to choose from, many that for just a nominally higher price are better than these. I'm in the process of taste testing several brands for a report that will be presented at the Serious Eats/SLICE website sometime this fall. Keep an eye out for it because I have several brands and am still accumulating more as I go along. I will say, that Walmart's own GV brand are better then just about any others you will get at a Walmart.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »
Bill thank you for your post.  Since reading several posts from various members about how they like the Walmart GV tomatoes, I have always been curious to try them myself but for some reason haven't done so.

I'm always on the hunt for a good deal, whether it is tomatoes or anything else.  Of course there are plenty of terrible tasting inexpensive tomatoes on the market, so saving money alone is pointless if the tomatoes don't taste right.

Your post has definitely peaked my curiosity so I will pick some up to do a taste test against the carmelina brand Italain peeled tomatoes I am currently using.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 03:58:18 PM »
Thanks DM and YW Chau!

DM,

I know you are working on your project for that now.I recall you mentioned it and I look forward to reading the results when your done!
 8)

I'm a Cento and 6 in 1 fan for the most part. However,I do keep looking and testing local store cans,and was very impressed so far with the WM units.Will I use WM all the time? Nope.I do want to try some other brands.

Theres a lot of cans I have not tried and will have to mail order.Where I live sucks.I cannot purchase them anywhere close to home.So my focus has been on what I can find locally from my stores.I'm about done with the local supply because theres not that much left to try around my area.

Chau,

Since WM is everywhere it seems,it can be a nice alternative to stuff one cannot find in the grocery stores.I do agree,if a better tasting canned product is a little more money,its worth paying for.I did not buy the WM for its price,but to see if it was any good.Yet for a buck and quarter,its hard to beat.

I really liked the WM GV crushed tomatoes alot.Their puree is decent as well.

The GV whole peeled tomatoes,are so-so.Sometimes have a lot of green or yellow tips that need to be cut off to use the middle.

Btw,I mixed up some GV crushed tomatoes with some of my Pecorino Romano cheese,and I loved it.Made a wonderful simple sauce.Gonna try some other spices soon and see what else I can do with it.

:)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 04:02:02 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:12 PM »
Bill,

Great experiment and excellent looking slices!

I have bought a can of Muir Glen Organic Puree yesterday and will try it some time this week. I normally only use 6 in 1's but since the Puree was on sale I had to try it.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:11:04 PM »
Essen 1

Please let us know what you think of the Muir Glen's. I know a lot of people love these, but they have almost doubled in price in the past few years. Also, I've been hit and miss on them, sometimes they're good, sometimes, meh! Consistency is valued in my book.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Thanks Mike!

DM,

Regarding Glen Muir tomatoes,The last few cans I bought tasted awful.I think its the calcium chloride they put in it.The tomatoes taste Bleachy or chemically heavy.

I had a good experience once,but so far has been disappointing.

I did find a can of Muir Glen Crushed tomatoes with basil again recently.I have it at home and will let you all know how it tastes soon.

The good thing is there is no calcium chloride in this.I think the cans with that stuff ruins it.

-Bill

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »
Essen 1

Please let us know what you think of the Muir Glen's. I know a lot of people love these, but they have almost doubled in price in the past few years. Also, I've been hit and miss on them, sometimes they're good, sometimes, meh! Consistency is valued in my book.

DMC,

You're right. It was still a bit more than the 6 in 1's even on sale.

I'll report back on it, though.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 06:32:21 PM »
chickenparm

What type of tomatoes had the calcium chloride? That's a firming agent more apt to be used in whole tomatoes so they stay whole, really no need for it in crushed tomatoes or puree.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:54:45 PM »
chickenparm

What type of tomatoes had the calcium chloride? That's a firming agent more apt to be used in whole tomatoes so they stay whole, really no need for it in crushed tomatoes or puree.

DM,the cans I used that had CC in it, were the Glen Muir whole peeled tomatoes,Diced tomatoes and fire roasted.There may be others I have not tried yet.My store does not carry a large selection of this brand.

I like to buy whole peeled tomatoes a lot and crush them up for a great sauce.I dont know what it is,but it seems the cans with the CC in it tastes like a bleach or something.I just cant use it for a sauce.

I will open my can of crushed Glen Muir tonight and sample it.Im hoping this one will be great.

-Bill

Offline voodoochikin04

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 08:36:11 PM »
Aftetr testing almost all the canned tomatoes that walmart sells, i came to the conclusion that the great value tomatoe PUREE was even better than the crushed.  Had the right water content, smooth texture, no salt or citric acid.  I like to add a few dried spices to it, some oil and slightly heat it to incorporated the flavors fully.  

Here is a picture of the puree on one pizza from the other night.  Nice bright red color.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:52 PM »
Aftetr testing almost all the canned tomatoes that walmart sells, i came to the conclusion that the great value tomatoe PUREE was even better than the crushed.  Had the right water content, smooth texture, no salt or citric acid.  I like to add a few dried spices to it, some oil and slightly heat it to incorporated the flavors fully.  

Here is a picture of the puree on one pizza from the other night.  Nice bright red color.
I concur,to a point.

I have use the Walmart Puree as well and indeed,its very good for the money,ease of locating a can.Its made with tomato pulp,not from tomato paste and water,which is why I have used them many times in the past.

Of all the local store brands I could find in my area,except for a cento puree,this is the only other puree I could find,not made with tomato paste and water.

Over time,I became a fan of a more tomatoey tasting sauce,and the crushed tomatoes bring a bit more flavor,due to tomato bits,so I don't use the purees by themselves,as often.

-Bill

Offline voodoochikin04

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 09:42:57 AM »
hmmm.. good point there also. maybe ill try the crushed again..

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 10:37:36 AM »
hmmm.. good point there also. maybe ill try the crushed again..
in my experience, this product is horrible.  tastes like i'm eating a box of matchbox cars melted down with tomatoes
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 02:14:18 PM »
in my experience, this product is horrible.  tastes like i'm eating a box of matchbox cars melted down with tomatoes

Maybe you got a bad can? I have gotten those with all brands.Even Cento,which I love,I had a few cans I had to throw away as well.

-Bill

pizzapan