Author Topic: Too Crispy  (Read 2006 times)

Offline frascatano

• I Love Pizza!
Too Crispy
« on: June 14, 2005, 04:01:21 PM »
What's the most common cause of an overly crispy crust in a home oven with bricks and baking stone?  The recipe is good, and I am a good baker, so my rise, bench work, and ingredients are correct.  It would seem as if the pizza is just the slightest bit too crisp on the bottom when it comes out of the oven.  And I mean just on the wrong side of crisp.   It is really close to perfect.  Thoughts?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Too Crispy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 08:25:58 PM »
frascatano,

Without knowing further details, it is difficult to pinpoint the cause of the crispiness you have been experiencing, but some of the more common causes include baking at too low a temperature and for too long a time, a lack of sugar in the dough, and little or no oil in the dough. If you aren't using sugar or oil in the dough, you might try increasing the bake temperature and shortening the bake time. If that doesn't reduce the crispiness, then in a future effort you could add some sugar and/or oil to the dough to shorten the bake time and make the crust a bit more tender and less crispy. Even though you are baking on a stone, you could put a pizza screen between the pizza and the stone to keep the pizza off of the stone. This might be done during the last minute of baking so as to reduce the crispiness by just a small amount.

Another thing you might try using you present methods is to put the finished pizza on a flat tray and let it set for a minute or so before cutting. This might drive some of the steam back into the crust and soften it somewhat so that it isn't as crispy.

If you find a solution to your problem, please let us know.

Peter

Offline dinks

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 03:46:35 PM »
PETER:
  Good Afternoon to you my friend. I have read your posting with much interest. What I didn't read is the oven baking temperature nor the baking proceedure of that that Gentleman's subject pizza. Learning that perhaps the solution can be successfully speculated. I am sure you will get a handle on this Gentleman's pizza question. Have a nice day Peter.
  ~DINKS.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 05:12:35 PM »
If you are happy with the suagr-fat content if any then go below 60% water but not much, say 58%.

Hope that helps.

Randy

pizzapan