I read a lot of information last week, and worried about when to put the salt into my dough, how to get proper autolyse, how to create perfect hydration, how much starter to dough % is overkill, how long to mix, what temp is my fridge, where should I place my stone, and multitude of other thoughts that I basically tossed out the window. Well, not all of it, but plenty of it. This is about experiments, and not what I have seen come before me...I did realize that 40% starter was probably not gonna work very well thanks to Craig, and that I should move my stone to the bottom of the oven, not the top like I tried last time. lol.
SO...I do want to use maximum starter, preferably using discard form my starter rather than actually discarding it, and have a dough that can sit awhile in the fridge and still be viable. Here's what I came up with.
I took my jar of starter out of the fridge about 4 pm last Thursday. It needed to be fed, and had a pungent layer of very strong hooch (but it was no IPA or I woulda drank it) instead I stirred it in. I was gonna discard half then feed, but I decided to just take out some unfed starter and use it in a recipe.
I used the same recipe as above for 20% preferment and 72.5% hydration with Sam's Bread Flour, 2% pure maple syrup, 2% olive oil 2% Kosher salt. Enough dough to make 4 balls of 210 grams each.
my 100% hydration Starter (unfed) 171 grams
Flour 392 grams
Slightly cooler than room temp water 261 grams
10 g maple syrup
10 grams salt
10 grams olive oil
I did nothing more than toss all of this into my plastic container, stir it with a spoon about one and a half minute (barely enough to just mix the dry into the wet) and covered it then straight to the fridge. (I checked and my fridge is 43 degrees
in the area where I keep my dough) I waited half hour then did a stretch and fold, and did this 3 more times that evening at 30 to 40 minute intervals.
I ignored the dough on Friday, and did one more stretch and fold either on Saturday or Sunday morning (seriously, I did not want to think about this dough too much, because I really doubted it was gonna work out)
By 3 pm yesterday I decided I should go ahead and make some pies (4 full days of cold ferment with minimal care) First I made sure I had pizza fixin's, then I got a phone call, so I finally took the dough out at 4 pm and it seemed really wet and slack, but not too bad. I think it could use a few more s/f's so I did a full on s/f on the table then cut the dough into 4 lumps and left them on the counter while I prepped my toppings. About 20 minutes later I got each lump did mini s/f's on them and let bench rest while my oven came to temp (500 degrees this timeand with the stone rack at lowest level)
I did have to use a lot of flour (50/50 WW/BF) cuz this dough was stickier but not totally unmanageable, and it opened up readily though it looked like it could easily tear if I weren't careful. Damn, I wish I had taken pictures of the dough. By far, these balls were easier to open than any I've previously made.
I checked the first pie at 5 minutes but it had to go to 7 to get a nice browning on the bottom, yet my toppings are still browning more than I want. All 4 pies were very good, very tender, not too chewy, and with a nice airy cornicione around the majority of the rim. Some areas had more of a bready crumb, but all in all a really good NO FUSS dough recipe that I will definitely try again.