Author Topic: Sous Vide Dough Fermentation, thoughts..........  (Read 347 times)

Online Jackitup

Sous Vide Dough Fermentation, thoughts..........
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:55:22 AM »
I mentioned this in maybe 1 or 2 posts just as an off hand remark, but I've started to think more about it.......What does anyone think about sous vide control of fermenting doughs??? Anova has a low of 25c° or 77f°. Any apllications for doughs or anything else at those temps? Any applications to combining sous vide and vacuum sealing doughs or other items given different vacuum or sous vide temp cominations of temps and vacuums with perfect control. Grains, poolishes, alcohols, you get the idea, just thinking out loud. Seems like something could be done here......or maybe just a few shots tooo many on my side...........I know some of you get it???

jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Re: Sous Vide Dough Fermentation, thoughts..........
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 06:34:22 AM »
Some idiot already thought of this:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35924.msg357834#msg357834

After lots of messing around, he concluded it was a dead end.

Online Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 05:17:07 PM »
Some idiot already thought of this:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35924.msg357834#msg357834

After lots of messing around, he concluded it was a dead end.

Bill, thanks for saving me a lot of time, never seen this thread, good read. I may still try a few things because we always have to tinker :P
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
I sometimes utilize a poor man's setup if I want to hasten fermentation by putting the tub of dough inside a bigger tub and filling it with warm water, around 100f.  But ultimately it's easier just to warm ferment in the home oven using the oven light. 

Online Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 06:55:18 PM »
I have done the same many times Chau. I also have put a screen on top of a 5 gallon bucket with an aluminum coned trouble light shining down. These were for mostly tough, low hydration doughs like cracker crusts to make them more manageable when rolling. This is where I think the sous vide may play a workable role is in those kind of crusts. Nice, even, heat control over a given period of time.
Bill, have you ever tried the sous vide with a cracker crust or equivalent?

jon

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 07:14:53 PM »

Bill, have you ever tried the sous vide with a cracker crust or equivalent?

Cracker crust? Never heard of it!  :D

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 08:48:09 PM »
I have done the same many times Chau. I also have put a screen on top of a 5 gallon bucket with an aluminum coned trouble light shining down.
jon

I like this idea.  Put a dimmer switch on it and you'd have a good warm proofer.

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:29 PM »
Sous vide works great for activating your starter (or yogurt making.) It's just such an efficient way to get your starter to its desired activation temperature quickly and keeping it exactly there indefinitely.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:30 AM »
Sous vide works great for activating your starter (or yogurt making.) It's just such an efficient way to get your starter to its desired activation temperature quickly and keeping it exactly there indefinitely.

That's a great idea.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 12:04:59 PM »
I haven't made homemade yogurt but I'vd thought of it, may give it a shot. Also the starters or poolishes is something to ponder too

jon

Offline ponzu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 01:54:07 PM »

I haven't made homemade yogurt but I'vd thought of it, may give it a shot. Also the starters or poolishes is something to ponder too

jon

SV yoghurt is great!

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easy-delicious-sous-vide-yogurt

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
SV yoghurt is great!

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/easy-delicious-sous-vide-yogurt

+1

The ChefSteps "Beyond the Basics" SV class has some very nice recipes for mason jar cooking in the water bath: creme brulee, flan, lemon curd, cream Catalana, etc. Brings a smile to everyone's face when you serve individual desserts in little mason jars.

Online Jackitup

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 03:58:21 PM »
+1

The ChefSteps "Beyond the Basics" SV class has some very nice recipes for mason jar cooking in the water bath: creme brulee, flan, lemon curd, cream Catalana, etc. Brings a smile to everyone's face when you serve individual desserts in little mason jars.
:drool: