Author Topic: Help with dough appearance after mixing  (Read 367 times)

Offline jooost

Help with dough appearance after mixing
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:41:44 PM »
Hello.. a question for some of the experts. 

I know the goal is to have a nice, beautiful, smooth surface on the dough (bulk or ball) once the 'mixing process' is complete.  I'm a little confused about what has been happening to me, so I'm hoping someone might provide some advice.

Formula from this morning:
100% caputo 00, 63% water, 1.9% ischia, 2.8% salt

I knead in kitchenaid with the sub-par j-style dough hook for about 5 minutes.  Take out, put on marble, hand knead for maybe 30 seconds.  At this point, it's relatively smooth.  Then I let it rest, generally about 7-10 minutes.  I'd say about 10 minutes this morning.  Then, I incorporate some stretch-and-fold's in an attempt to get more air into the dough.  I'm using no bench flour at all, it's on marble.  At this point, the dough gets sticky again.  As I understand it, as I continue to stretch-and-fold, the dough should get smoother and smoother.  This does not seem to happen.  I think I did maybe 20 stretch-and-fold's this morning (normally I only do 5-8), and it still had a tacky, slightly rough appearance.  Once it settles, it will definitely look smooth, but it's not that gorgeous, smooth look that I've seen in some pictures, right after mixing is complete. 

I can't take a picture because I'm not at home anymore, but I would describe it's appearance almost like the fake texture on house walls.  Just slightly rough.  Tacky. 

Anyone have any ideas for how to get it fully smooth?  I know kneading too much is generally not a good thing, but perhaps that is the solution?  The kitchen-aid / original dough hook isn't the best combo, I know, but it appears others are able to get it working. 

Thanks in advance!

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Help with dough appearance after mixing
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 03:24:50 PM »
Don't be afraid of bench flour.

Offline jooost

Re: Help with dough appearance after mixing
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »
I'm not necessarily afraid of it, I just don't generally feel the need for it on the marble.  However, if you're suggesting that will help me achieve a proper dough, then I'm all for trying it.

pizzapan