Author Topic: Anyone heard of Les Cheminees Domestico?  (Read 1423 times)

Offline espeedy123

Anyone heard of Les Cheminees Domestico?
« on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:53 PM »
I am a newbie to the forum.  I arrived here trying to research outdoor wood fired pizza ovens.  I have an opportunity to get a new model Les Cheminees Domestico that was purchased and imported from Italy but then not used on a jobsite.  The seller wants $1,000 for it.  I know how pricey these can get but I am having trouble finding more specific info about this particular oven.  Any thoughts you have are appreciated!  Thanks, espeedy

Offline shuboyje

Re: Anyone heard of Les Cheminees Domestico?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
I don't know anything about the ovens other then what I just saw on their website, but they look like pretty standard cast ovens.  Nothing really alarming in what I saw.  Do you know if the oven is complete? Does it have insulation for under the floor and over the dome?  Some of their ovens look to have a vent casting, if this oven has one is it there?  Pictures would be great.   
-Jeff

Offline espeedy123

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 09:48:34 PM »
Attaching a photo.  All I really know is that it is the 120 model.

I am weighing this vs. something more portable.  I don't have an upper limit on the budget in mind, but I do not plan to live in this house more than a couple more years, so it might be nice to be able to move it.

I find the idea of the Fontana Forni ovens now available through Wms-Sonoma intriguing.  I like what they say about the efficiency of less wood burned and faster heatup.  But I have a lot yet to read and learn about this.  I appreciate your input!

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 03:36:03 PM »
Hello espeedy:

I just purchased a Forno Piccolo from a company in California called Forno Classico. The Piccolos run between $2300.00 and $2600.00 and weight about 500 lbs. The picture in my profile is the Tuscany Model.

Good luck!

Edgar

Offline flavorguy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:28:12 PM »
Edgar -

I am doing some research on a small WFO and I stumbled upon the Forno Classico Piccolo...

What are your impressions thus far of your oven?

How was their customer service and delivery?

Did you buy their stand along with the oven?

Any regrets?

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
Hello Flavorguy:

So far I'm very pleased on the performance of the piccolo. Because of the high humidity in my area it takes me about between 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get a good heat but then the pizzas are done between 2 to 4 minutes. The oven design and style is also something for the guess to talk about when they see the whole process of firing and then cant believe how good is the end product.

As far as customer service, this still is a memorable experience. Giuseppe, the artisan and owner of Forno Classico was sending my pictures of the different construction stages, from the base, heart, and dome. Then a final picture when the oven was inside the crate ready for shipment. We always communicated as well with updates of the construction. I say I'm still because periodically Giuseppe call me to see how I'm doing with the cooking process since this is my first oven and I'm just learning to cook with Fire Wood. The crate and oven arrived in perfect condition and thats saying a lot considering the trip from California to Puerto Rico by road and ship.

I'm attaching a picture that I have on hand were you can partially see the stand I made. I used 4x4 wood for the legs and angle steel for the frame. The Wood stand that you see in fornoclassico.con is very attractive but not as functional since it has a high center of balance and can trip while moving, so this was not recommended. There is a metal stand available but I decided to make mine because of shipping costs.

Basically I can tell you that I'm really convince that I made the right purchase and the only "regret" I might have (if it can be called that way) is that because its size I'm going to have to buy a bigger one in the long run. It works fine now but friends and family are really enjoying this and I would like to make more amounts of pizza at one time. And I'm really enjoying this experience.

There are other good ovens available around and when I this my study to purchase one I had 5 runner ups. But considering price, style and quality and then the customer service I don't have second thoughts.

pizzapan