Author Topic: Big Green Egg Pizza  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Papa G

Big Green Egg Pizza
« on: July 16, 2011, 09:02:59 AM »
Hey everyone.  I tried my first BGE pizzas and had trouble with the crust burning.  I have an XL BGE, used a plate setter and a BGE pizza stone.  The temp was @ 600 degrees.  In order to cook the cheese and toppings, the pizza needs 8-10 minutes, but that seems to be too much for the crust.  Any suggestions for a fix?

Offline wolldog

Re: Big Green Egg Pizza
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
Piece of cake !! (no pun intended)

1.Go to a building supply and get three fire bricks, they should cost less than $2.00 each.
2. Place the plate  setter in the egg feet down.
3. Place the fire bricks on the plate setter on their edge, placing them equidistant like spokes ( i.e. 120 degree angle between the bricks.

4. Place the pizza stone on top of the bricks

On an extra large egg this will put the  top of the pizza stone about 1 1/2 inches below  the end of the thermometer. The plate setter and 4 1/2 inches of air ( height of the bricks)  will insulate the pizza stone enough so that it will be at the same temperature as the air in the dome ( i.e. the temperature shown on the thermemoter.)

I fill the firebox and get the fire really ripping before Ii put the platesetter, bricks and stone on. I then leave the bottom damper open wide, close the lid but leave the top control damper off. When the egg temperature goes above 700 degrees I put the control damper on but leave it open wide ( this creates just a slight air restriction.) The egg should stabilize around 680- 700 degrees and maintain heat for several pizzas. Time the pies at about six minutes each.

- ENJOY

pizzapan