Author Topic: DOP San Marzano Tomatoes  (Read 31644 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: DOP San Marzano Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2006, 12:39:58 AM »
Just made one of my better sauces tonight with the La Bella san marzano's.  My wife and the friend that I had over immediately commented on the sauce.  I don't care if these are DOP or not, they taste really good.   No acidic taste in this batch.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2006, 09:00:14 AM »
Just made one of my better sauces tonight with the La Bella san marzano's.  My wife and the friend that I had over immediately commented on the sauce.  I don't care if these are DOP or not, they taste really good.   No acidic taste in this batch.

Scott,

I've got a can of these I want to try. How did you make the sauce? Chopped, pureed? Seasonings? Did you use any of the liquid from the can? Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2006, 10:09:33 AM »
La Bella is definitely NOT grown in San Marzano. I love the label:

La Bella San Marzano
Brand

Ya gotta love the little word 'brand' at the end. Plus, on Amazon, you can tell they wrote their own 'customer' review because it's worded just like their website.  Their website is full of distortion.  I wouldn't buy them on principle, because it's a very shady thing to do. These guys are SLEAZY, SLEAZY, SLEAZY. They are selling regular tomatoes and lying to double their price. They fooled me the first time and tasted watery and acidic.

Jeff
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 02:41:32 PM by varasano »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2006, 12:02:02 PM »
Scott,

I've got a can of these I want to try. How did you make the sauce? Chopped, pureed? Seasonings? Did you use any of the liquid from the can? Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

I crushed them by hand and put them into a strainer.  I took a decent amount of the water out, but not all of it.  I put them in a blender to puree.  I added salt.  On the pie I use fresh garlic marinated in oil, and some really good oregano.   

I have been avoiding them because my first experience with them was very bad.  I bought two cases (one of pre crushed, one of whole) and both cases tasted acidic.  After giving them a bunch of bad press here on the forum I ended up using another can that I purchased from a local market.  This can was much better, so I thought they had promise.  I figured I would try them one more time, and again they were really good.  Also, they were not watery at all.  Not sure what is going on with the consistency, but I totally understand why Jeff did not like them at one point.  Neither did I .  I hated them the first time I tried them.

Still not sure they are as good as the La Reginas, but now I am rating them as my second favorite San Marzano.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:09:49 PM by scott r »

Offline PizzaNPastaGuru

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
La Bella San Marzano Brand is real!

Hey, Just found this site! I have something in common with some of you. I live in upstate NY and have been to San Marzano Imports in NJ. My Cousin lives about 30 minutes from there in Toms River. I have been there three times so far and my cousin goes there now as well. Being skeptical, I did some research and noticed they had an article on the site from a story Saveur magazine did on the owner and his family. After speaking to Nick the owner I found out his family actually lives in the San Marzano region of Italy! The article confirmed this as well.

Anyhow, certifications or not here is my opinion on the topic: Being in the restaurant business for over 25 years, I love the LaBella brand for pasta sauce. Lets face it thats when you separate the good from the bad. I find this brand to be the best for my taste buds anyway and make a special trip down there every now and then. I also have a large quantity shipped up here from time to time (via carrier for special customers only) it's way too expensive any other way. I like dealing with Nick and love his products. Again, I like the LaBella brand and after doing some research they are from the San Marzano region. Thats good enough for me and actually too good for my general customers. They are fine with lesser brands. Good luck and stay well by eating a lot of pasta and tomato sauce! :)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:19:29 PM by PizzaNPastaGuru »

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
Can the public purchase the LaBella brand direct from the company? I have tasted these and they are a great product
Thanks

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:31 PM »
Can the public purchase the LaBella brand direct from the company? I have tasted these and they are a great product
Thanks
MTPIZZA, They are available in one of the local grocery stores right near me here in PA, so I would have to say yes to your ? HTH, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »
Does anyone one know if you can buy them in Detroit? I will search some of the local Italian markets.
fb66

If I find any. I will tell you.

Offline Nickey

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
 Im the proud owner of San Marzano Imports dot com
Also I am one of only 2 importers of the La Bella San Marzano Brand entire line of tomato ,Legumes etc.............. I am amazed that so many people on this forum have called my company ,both myself and my daughter (Marilena ) have been nothing but honest with each phone call.Please please please dont be fooled by DOP marked cans.We arent trying to confuse anyone.Our business here in New Jersey is family run for over 20 years.The Manufacturers in Italy are Raffaelle Viscardi in business for over 57 years.Also family run.So we are family run from San MArzano Italy all the way to Howell New Jersey.These are the real San Marzano tomatoes.We challege everyone to spend the furtunes you spend on DOP tomatoes then spend the $33.00 per case on 12 -28oz. cans from us.Open the cans up taste test for yourselves.Raffaelle Viscardi growns and cans these products in Italy.Anyone wishing to take the trip out there and do a real research story on this brand of tomatoes please do so.You will see what separates these tomatoes from the rest of them.Each tomato is inspected and looked at carefully before going into the cans.There is hardly any acidity to these tomatoes.We made Raos cookbook,Karen Duffys cook book(A Slob in the kitchen) We are loved by David Letterman,PAt Cooper Etc................but the proof is in the pudding.Thank you for appreciating our tomatoes.Please incourage others to call us ,view our website and if you dont want to order 2 cases tell us .We will let you order one,just dont judge us before trying us.When you do order you wont be sorry.Thank you for all of you who are loyal customers.We appreciate your loyalty to us.
Sincerely,
San Marzano Imports Inc.
Proud owner-Nicholas Soccodato

Offline scott123

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 02:24:51 AM »
We challege everyone to spend the furtunes you spend on DOP tomatoes then spend the $33.00 per case on 12 -28oz. cans from us.

I pay $30 for twelve 28 oz. cans. $3 less than what you're charging. And that's retail.

Offline Nickey

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
Wow!Thats great.What is the brand ,we would like to try it out to compare it.Always up to check out any competition.Is it at all possible to post video on here?We are kind of new at this ,but do have some coverage of the canning process at the Raffaele Viscardi plant were our La Bella San MArzano brand tomatoes come from.Just thought it could help with the understanding of our tomatoes and the pride we have in them from Italy to NJ.If we cant then perhaps we will post it to our website.If anyone has any further questions please call us or email us.Thank you! Happy cooking!
Sincerely,
Sanmarzanoimports Inc.
Nicholas Soccodato  :D

Offline Nickey

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
[La Bella San MArzano Brand Tomatoes are real and are really from Italy) Do the research ,Call the company that manufactorers this brand which is in San Marzano.It doesnt have to have a DOP stamp to really be from Italy.You dont have to pay a fortune for the tomato to be good.I agree with some other comments I have read,Please do your own taste tests dont trash any sauce or tomato till you actually taste and try it.We do not sell our tomatoes on Amamzon but lots of restaurants and business buy from us and obviously resell on Amazon which we cannot prevent.Please do not associate us with the words that they are using.They steel information from us and they mis advertise .Want the facts? Rafaele Viscardi is our Manufactorer for our Brand La Bella.Fact they are located in San MArzano Italy.Fact they can and grow the tomatoes for our brand. Tase test for yourselves.You can use the entire contents from the cans.We have restaurants in NJ and NY who tell us they use the whole peeled tomatoes for pizza or they blend them down for sauce and then they use the pulp from the can for marinara.These tomatoes come in their own puree not water.So you get alot for your money.HAppy cooking to everyone.Any questions call us .Thank you!
Nick
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:35:50 PM by Nickey »

Offline matermark

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 02:54:16 AM »
Almost a year later, I'm paying $2.49 retail for a D.O.P. competitor.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:56:46 AM by matermark »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
Years later and there's still confusion and fraud.  The NY Times recently weighed in:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/the-real-san-marzanos/
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
...and fwiw I have completely given up on San Marzano tomatoes.  In my pizzeria I use only Alta Cucinas, superior to and much cheaper than anything I've tried that's labeled San Marzano.
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline matermark

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
My local Walmart still has a little stock of the Cento, they don't even bother separating the "Certified" from the "D.O.P. Certified" anymore and sell either for $3.88. I'll check Price-Rite again next time I go but I think I bought up most of the 35oz cans of unlabeled San Marzano tomatoes for around $1.69. The certified last time were $2.49. Just look for the barcodes starting with ROA I think...

Offline VINNYB13

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
trust me the best imported tomatoes by far san marzano and dop=  NINA TOMATOES
In Phila. area
LANCI FOODS
WWW.LANCIFOODS.COM

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
trust me the best imported tomatoes by far san marzano and dop=  NINA TOMATOES
In Phila. area
LANCI FOODS
WWW.LANCIFOODS.COM

If you talkings about these they are not that good at all. They have a lot of water and are very grainy feeling. http://www.eatitatlanta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img_0531.jpg

Offline VINNYB13

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »
I definitely prefer an imported tomato over domestic we also sell our imported tomatoes cheaper than what some california tomatoes are getting for theirs.
your San Marzano types are from the San Marzano region only those stamped DOP and have the certificate on the label are genuine.
There is a good article at WWW.squido.com/canned-tomatoes.
they did an independent test and found what i believe that Nina, and Pugliese won

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »
I definitely prefer an imported tomato over domestic we also sell our imported tomatoes cheaper than what some california tomatoes are getting for theirs.
your San Marzano types are from the San Marzano region only those stamped DOP and have the certificate on the label are genuine.
There is a good article at WWW.squido.com/canned-tomatoes.
they did an independent test and found what i believe that Nina, and Pugliese won

Did you sign on to advertise your products freely,for sale? It sure looks like it.I have no problem trying new products,but when people sign up here to sell their work products,and have no intentions of being a real contribution to this forum,I tend to ignore them after the fact. I won't even buy the stuff for sale or browse any links provided.If you want to sell products,become a supporting vendor and pay for the advertising space at least.

-Bill