Author Topic: DOP San Marzano Tomatoes  (Read 35639 times)

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: DOP San Marzano Tomatoes
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2007, 04:10:53 PM »
Can the public purchase the LaBella brand direct from the company? I have tasted these and they are a great product
Thanks

Offline Bryan S

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 11:44:31 PM »
Can the public purchase the LaBella brand direct from the company? I have tasted these and they are a great product
Thanks
MTPIZZA, They are available in one of the local grocery stores right near me here in PA, so I would have to say yes to your ? HTH, Bryan
Making great pizza and learning new things everyday.

Offline Fullback66

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 09:23:52 PM »
Does anyone one know if you can buy them in Detroit? I will search some of the local Italian markets.
fb66

If I find any. I will tell you.

Offline Nickey

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2010, 06:59:14 PM »
 Im the proud owner of San Marzano Imports dot com
Also I am one of only 2 importers of the La Bella San Marzano Brand entire line of tomato ,Legumes etc.............. I am amazed that so many people on this forum have called my company ,both myself and my daughter (Marilena ) have been nothing but honest with each phone call.Please please please dont be fooled by DOP marked cans.We arent trying to confuse anyone.Our business here in New Jersey is family run for over 20 years.The Manufacturers in Italy are Raffaelle Viscardi in business for over 57 years.Also family run.So we are family run from San MArzano Italy all the way to Howell New Jersey.These are the real San Marzano tomatoes.We challege everyone to spend the furtunes you spend on DOP tomatoes then spend the $33.00 per case on 12 -28oz. cans from us.Open the cans up taste test for yourselves.Raffaelle Viscardi growns and cans these products in Italy.Anyone wishing to take the trip out there and do a real research story on this brand of tomatoes please do so.You will see what separates these tomatoes from the rest of them.Each tomato is inspected and looked at carefully before going into the cans.There is hardly any acidity to these tomatoes.We made Raos cookbook,Karen Duffys cook book(A Slob in the kitchen) We are loved by David Letterman,PAt Cooper Etc................but the proof is in the pudding.Thank you for appreciating our tomatoes.Please incourage others to call us ,view our website and if you dont want to order 2 cases tell us .We will let you order one,just dont judge us before trying us.When you do order you wont be sorry.Thank you for all of you who are loyal customers.We appreciate your loyalty to us.
Sincerely,
San Marzano Imports Inc.
Proud owner-Nicholas Soccodato

scott123

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 02:24:51 AM »
We challege everyone to spend the furtunes you spend on DOP tomatoes then spend the $33.00 per case on 12 -28oz. cans from us.

I pay $30 for twelve 28 oz. cans. $3 less than what you're charging. And that's retail.

Offline Nickey

« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
Wow!Thats great.What is the brand ,we would like to try it out to compare it.Always up to check out any competition.Is it at all possible to post video on here?We are kind of new at this ,but do have some coverage of the canning process at the Raffaele Viscardi plant were our La Bella San MArzano brand tomatoes come from.Just thought it could help with the understanding of our tomatoes and the pride we have in them from Italy to NJ.If we cant then perhaps we will post it to our website.If anyone has any further questions please call us or email us.Thank you! Happy cooking!
Sincerely,
Sanmarzanoimports Inc.
Nicholas Soccodato  :D

Offline Nickey

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2010, 12:21:35 PM »
[La Bella San MArzano Brand Tomatoes are real and are really from Italy) Do the research ,Call the company that manufactorers this brand which is in San Marzano.It doesnt have to have a DOP stamp to really be from Italy.You dont have to pay a fortune for the tomato to be good.I agree with some other comments I have read,Please do your own taste tests dont trash any sauce or tomato till you actually taste and try it.We do not sell our tomatoes on Amamzon but lots of restaurants and business buy from us and obviously resell on Amazon which we cannot prevent.Please do not associate us with the words that they are using.They steel information from us and they mis advertise .Want the facts? Rafaele Viscardi is our Manufactorer for our Brand La Bella.Fact they are located in San MArzano Italy.Fact they can and grow the tomatoes for our brand. Tase test for yourselves.You can use the entire contents from the cans.We have restaurants in NJ and NY who tell us they use the whole peeled tomatoes for pizza or they blend them down for sauce and then they use the pulp from the can for marinara.These tomatoes come in their own puree not water.So you get alot for your money.HAppy cooking to everyone.Any questions call us .Thank you!
Nick
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:35:50 PM by Nickey »

Offline matermark

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2011, 02:54:16 AM »
Almost a year later, I'm paying $2.49 retail for a D.O.P. competitor.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:56:46 AM by matermark »

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 01:18:19 PM »
Years later and there's still confusion and fraud.  The NY Times recently weighed in:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/the-real-san-marzanos/
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 01:22:38 PM »
...and fwiw I have completely given up on San Marzano tomatoes.  In my pizzeria I use only Alta Cucinas, superior to and much cheaper than anything I've tried that's labeled San Marzano.
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline matermark

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
My local Walmart still has a little stock of the Cento, they don't even bother separating the "Certified" from the "D.O.P. Certified" anymore and sell either for $3.88. I'll check Price-Rite again next time I go but I think I bought up most of the 35oz cans of unlabeled San Marzano tomatoes for around $1.69. The certified last time were $2.49. Just look for the barcodes starting with ROA I think...

Offline VINNYB13

« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 08:26:45 AM »
trust me the best imported tomatoes by far san marzano and dop=  NINA TOMATOES
In Phila. area
LANCI FOODS
WWW.LANCIFOODS.COM

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
trust me the best imported tomatoes by far san marzano and dop=  NINA TOMATOES
In Phila. area
LANCI FOODS
WWW.LANCIFOODS.COM

If you talkings about these they are not that good at all. They have a lot of water and are very grainy feeling. http://www.eatitatlanta.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/img_0531.jpg

Offline VINNYB13

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2011, 10:17:46 PM »
I definitely prefer an imported tomato over domestic we also sell our imported tomatoes cheaper than what some california tomatoes are getting for theirs.
your San Marzano types are from the San Marzano region only those stamped DOP and have the certificate on the label are genuine.
There is a good article at WWW.squido.com/canned-tomatoes.
they did an independent test and found what i believe that Nina, and Pugliese won

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:09 AM »
I definitely prefer an imported tomato over domestic we also sell our imported tomatoes cheaper than what some california tomatoes are getting for theirs.
your San Marzano types are from the San Marzano region only those stamped DOP and have the certificate on the label are genuine.
There is a good article at WWW.squido.com/canned-tomatoes.
they did an independent test and found what i believe that Nina, and Pugliese won

Did you sign on to advertise your products freely,for sale? It sure looks like it.I have no problem trying new products,but when people sign up here to sell their work products,and have no intentions of being a real contribution to this forum,I tend to ignore them after the fact. I won't even buy the stuff for sale or browse any links provided.If you want to sell products,become a supporting vendor and pay for the advertising space at least.

-Bill

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
Bill,

I did not see any article on tomatoes at the link that VINNYB13 provided. Vinny is a food distributor and may have strong opinions on the best tomatoes to use, and he may even be selling those tomatoes, but as a Moderator who looks to keep the forum clean of posts that contain obvious self-serving advertising (other than by those who are Supporting Members), I am willing to give Vinny a chance to explain the point he is trying to make in this thread. Members who try to pump their own products and services on the forum do not get far.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2011, 12:41:59 PM »
Bill,

I did not see any article on tomatoes at the link that VINNYB13 provided. Vinny is a food distributor and may have strong opinions on the best tomatoes to use, and he may even be selling those tomatoes, but as a Moderator who looks to keep the forum clean of posts that contain obvious self-serving advertising (other than by those who are Supporting Members), I am willing to give Vinny a chance to explain the point he is trying to make in this thread. Members who try to pump their own products and services on the forum do not get far.

Peter

Thanks Peter,and I was not trying to step on anyones toes here by acting Bossy or anything.If Vinny is just trying to help out,I apologize for that and to him.Because I belong to a few other forums,I see people sign up all the time to advertise in very sneaky,subtle ways,and usually they will hang around for a very short time or get tossed out by the Mods if caught.It sort of Irritates me a bit.

The most common way is for them to say "we sell" or "we supply" such and such,but wait for the members to ask what it is or how to get it.Then they never come back and have like 10 postings.

-Bill

Offline VINNYB13

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2011, 11:41:51 PM »
Iam not trying to advertise anything, i sell many different brands of tomatoes and only wholesale, a lot of people i see here are talking about going into a store or walmart thats not my business so there is no interest there for me .
iam however a tomato expert and can tell people what i think is the best from my opinion and that site is definitely there just clicked on it twice to check.
www.squidoo.com/canned-tomatoes

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 10:03:07 AM »
Vinny,

Thank you for clarifying the matter. Today, your link did take me to that article on canned tomatoes. For some reason, yesterday I got the website but not the article.

Peter

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:33 PM »
Vinny,

Glad you are here for us.I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.It's nice to have an tomato expert on board with us.
 :)

-Bill