Author Topic: Rising temp & leftover doughs etc..  (Read 1646 times)

Offline xaolla

Rising temp & leftover doughs etc..
« on: June 11, 2005, 11:46:11 AM »
hi... i'm new to making pizza... just came across this pizza making website.. i cant get alot of the exact ingredients stated on the website.... so i've got a few questions here...   :)

I am doing the thin crust pizza according to the recipe given on pizzamaking website (its the original PizzaMaking.com thin & crackery crust pizza recipe, not the other Deven's pizza)... but i'm abit confused after reading the forum posts...

1) do i let the dough rise for 24 hours at room temperature or in the fridge... cos i read in a few posts in the forum that ppl let their dough rise at room
temperature so i'm confused.... ???

2) if there's leftover dough after baking... can i keep it for future use?? or i gotta finish baking all the dough on that day itself??

3) i am following the pizza sauce recipe on the same thin-crust pizza website... i dont really know the exact definition of the heavy puree here (28 oz. can whole peeled tomatoes in heavy puree)... in this case is it ok if i use a can of whole peeled tomatoes in tomato juice + a can of tomato puree??
or i can actually just use the whole peeled tomato with juice??

4) is it ok to use SAF instant dry baker's yeast?? i can only find 2 types of yeast in the super marts here... instant yeast & SAF instant dry baker's yeast... may i know which is better in making thin crust pizza??

Thanks...  ;D

Offline buzz

Re: Rising temp & leftover doughs etc..
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 12:00:21 PM »
For my cracker crust, I use three separate room temperature rises--it makes a beautiful thin crust!

You can freeze leftover dough--or make rolls out of it!

You can use tomato puree, crushed tomatoes, ground tomatoes with puree added (like 6-in-1), or whole tomatoes crushed by hand (make sure you drain them, though). For thin crust, I prefer a thinner pizzeria-type sauce, so I use a small can of tomato sauce (not paste) as a base and add garlic, spices, etc.  For deep dish I use 6-in-1's, or other crushed tomatoes--I have also blended a can of crushed or pureed tomatoes and added to this a can of whole peeled tomatoes (hand-crushed and drained of juice)--very tasty!

In short, experiment and find out what appeals most to you!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Rising temp & leftover doughs etc..
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 10:33:48 AM »
The answer to your first question is yes let it rise on the counter overnight.

The second question.  If you use a 16" pan you will only scraps left over although it looks like a lot.  I have cut up the scrap into kind of squares and made little bit sized pizza which were good.

The third.  Most of us order 6in1 tomtoes online but for your first pizza go to Walmart and buy you a can of Great Value crushed tomatoes in puree they will work for you.  If you have a fine strainer then let them drain for a bit to remove some of the moisture.

Again at Walmart SAF sells a Perfect rise yeast and an Active dry yeast in fat packets.  For this recipe use the SAF Active or any other Active dry yeast.  If you make a New York style then you will use the Perfect rise.
Hope this helps