Author Topic: secret spice topping ingredient--coriander  (Read 1825 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
secret spice topping ingredient--coriander
« on: July 17, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
Hi all,

Haven't been around in a while, but I wanted to pop in and share a minor discovery I made about a nice little spice combination to use when topping pizzas.

I was in London not too long ago and stopped a gluten-free pizza place.  It was some kind of Mediterranean pizzeria.  They had this really interesting little spice combination on the pizza, with a taste I couldn't quite identify.  It was very familiar-tasting, almost lemon-y, but it escaped me.

When I got back, I went into my spice rack and tried to figure out what spices were happening in the mix.  I finally figured out the one that was making the biggest taste splash in the mix--CORIANDER.

So I did a little more experimenting, and came up with this spice mix that isn't an exact match, but it captures the spirit of it, anyway.  The proportions are as follows (amounts can be whatever you want):

1/3 basil
1/3 oregano (not in the fine powder form...the actual spice)
1/3 coriander (I ground it from whole coriander seeds...I haven't tried it yet pre-ground in fine powder form)

Sprinkled in moderation on top of pizza, you guys might like it.  Give it a shot :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:58:47 AM by canadave »

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: secret spice topping ingredient--coriander
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 09:51:31 PM »
Very cool.  I'll have to remember to try that next time on a cheese pizza.  My mother used a lot of coriander when I was growing up.  I love the smell of it.

Offline jerrym

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 11:32:24 AM »
now and again for a change i sprinkle fresh chopped coriander straight after the pizza is out of the oven.

will give a different taste to using the ground seed but worth considering.

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
I use chopped cilantro alot myself,
Don

pizzapan