Author Topic: Giordano's-style Deep Dish  (Read 27789 times)

Offline buzz

Re: Giordano's-style Deep Dish
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2005, 02:15:25 PM »
I'm sure you're right!

Offline PizzaKev

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 07:28:30 PM »
I've had a lot of Girodano's deep dish (which they call "stuffed") pizzas and have watched them make them step-by-step, and there is no second crust--only the single dough layer in the pan. Not that you couldn't make it with a second crust (more to enjoy)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure which Giordano's you go to but the one on Golf at Greenwood in Niles, IL definitely puts a second crust over the ingredients (I'm eating it right now)

On that note, I've been trying to re-create a Giordano's taste for a while, but I can't seem to find a cheese or cheese combo that is close enough. Does anyone here know what cheese(s) Giordano's uses or what I can use to come close to it? I like the taste of the cheese I've been using but I like what Giordano's uses more.

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:33 PM »
I'm guessing its a high quality cheese, I can definitely tell a difference between their cheese and the one I use.  But I couldn't tell you what kind.  With Giordano's average prices between $17-$24 it should be a pretty good quality one.

If you like the Giordano's double-crust stuffed  variety, I suggest the recipe I posted a couple of days ago based on Buzz's fantastic recipe.  As for 2 people like us that eat at Giordano's regularly, its probably as close as you could find.

I'm going to make one this weekend, and will post some photos to go with the recipe.

With only 2 Giordano's outside of the Chicago land area, I never realized how lucky I was to be born and raised here.  A friend of mine and his wife were contemplating moving out of state, and one of the points of contention was wether or not he could live without his regular Giordano's fix.  3 years later, hes still here.  That's dedication.

Offline stymie

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 12:42:01 AM »
Here is a 4 minute video on Giordano's stuffed pizza. It will only be available for 7 days or it will expire after so many downloads (they don't say how many) Sorry I don't have web hosting, if someone would like to host it please feel free to do so.

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3T3X21K9TXLZ43OA544KIU0LR9
20mb file

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 08:47:37 AM »
Here is a 4 minute video on Giordano's stuffed pizza. It will only be available for 7 days or it will expire after so many downloads (they don't say how many) Sorry I don't have web hosting, if someone would like to host it please feel free to do so.

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3T3X21K9TXLZ43OA544KIU0LR9
20mb file

Excellent video. I could host it here, but it's a Travel Channel video and I'm not sure about copyrights.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline IlliniPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:32 AM »
Watched the Video

That's step for step how I assemble my stuffed crust pizza.

I was going to post photos, but whats the point.  Just watch the video.

Offline buzz

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2005, 10:29:26 AM »
As for the double crust--I can only relate my experience from the Giordano's I go to where you can stand at the counter and watch the workers making the pizza, from sheeting to assembling. One guy sheets the dough twice, tosses it in the air across the room to an assembler, who drapes it into a pan, adds cheese, toppings, and a couple of ladles of sauce. No top crust. Maybe this isn't what other franchises do, but that's what this one does!

You're right--anyone not lucky enough to be in the Chicago area is mising out on a great pizza!

Offline buzz

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2005, 11:16:08 AM »
As for the cheese--I've tried Stella, Frigo, Sorrento, Kraft, and some independent Chicago brand whose name I can't remember, and combinations thereof, but none match Giordano's. The closest, INO, in texture and feel is Sorrento, but the taste is different. Not that any of them are bad cheeses, but they don't match!

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2005, 12:54:36 PM »
Have you tried Grande?
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline buzz

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2005, 01:03:51 PM »
Not familiar with it--where do you get it?

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2005, 01:16:14 PM »
It's very good cheese. Not available to the general public, but I found a local pizza shop that sells it to me. www.grande.com

Offline stymie

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2005, 04:09:03 PM »
I was going to post photos, but whats the point.  Just watch the video.

you still may want to for others later on IlliniPizza. That link will not last very long where as your pictures can stay. Unless someone can host the video. The copyright thing could be a problem. Maybe blur out their logo   ;)

I know I need to head west sometime to get me some of that.

Offline abc

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 06:39:03 PM »
anyone can put up the video again??

Offline T-Man

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 07:19:21 PM »
Whenever I go to Chicago, which is not often, I get Giordano's first.  If I'm there two nights, it's Gino's on night two.  In the interim, for periodic gift occassions, my wife will have Fedex deliver me 4 pies from Giordano's.  Not as good as fresh, but still extremely good.  Have one in the freezer at this moment.  ;D

Offline Perk

• Supporting Member
  • Dreams of Pizza!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2006, 10:26:11 AM »
PICTURES!!
Buzz! I need Pictures!! LOL!!

You are looking at a guy that never ate Chicago Style Pizza and
I want to see what your pie looks like.  :chef:

-Dave
Jacksonville Fl.

Offline buzz

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2006, 11:31:11 AM »
Lol! There are lots of photos from others on this forum, so do a little digging (no time now to give you links).

Giordano's, BTW, uses a restaurant-grade Stella mozzarella.

Offline Chicago Rules!!!

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Chicago Pizza!
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2006, 08:00:29 PM »
Hey Buzz, you wouldent happen to have that Giordano's video that was post on here back in the summer. I would love to see it.

Offline buzz

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2006, 11:29:13 AM »
Sorry--I don't!

Last night I made a Giordano's-style and as I was eating it, I was getting all these sensory flashes of eating a real Giordano's pizza. So good!

Offline cameron

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2006, 12:35:58 AM »
As for the double crust--I can only relate my experience from the Giordano's I go to where you can stand at the counter and watch the workers making the pizza, from sheeting to assembling. One guy sheets the dough twice, tosses it in the air across the room to an assembler, who drapes it into a pan, adds cheese, toppings, and a couple of ladles of sauce. No top crust. Maybe this isn't what other franchises do, but that's what this one does!

You're right--anyone not lucky enough to be in the Chicago area is mising out on a great pizza!
I just returned from a week-long vacation back home in the Chicago suburbs (we had pizza three times in 5 days!).  I wasn't able to watch them make the pizza at Giordano's, but I very carefully analyzed the side profile of the cut pizza.  There was, in order from bottom up: Crust, pepperoni, liberal layer of cheese, extremely thin top-crust, very thin layer of cheese, sauce.  This was the Glen Ellyn Giordano's on Roosevelt Road.

There definitely was a top-crust, though it was very, very thin and almost unnoticeable from the cheese layer above it.  One clue was the fact that the cheese layer above it moved separately from the cheese below, with no toppings between.  When I traced the line back to the side crust, I could see where the two crusts met, and found that this is what causes that great "splitting" along the top edge of their crust! 

They use significantly less sauce than I remember, perhaps as little as half as much as I have been using.  On the other hand, their cheese layer is thicker than what I have been making -- and OH SO TASTY.  I need to find some Stella.

I took some pictures of the pizza, and I'll try to post them if they turned out okay.  I'll be tweaking my own recipe this weekend for another attempt.

Has anyone experimented with real butter in the dough recipe?  My dough never turns out quite as flaky/layered looking as real Giordano's.

Offline buzz

« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »
Interesting!

I recently ran into a guy who owns his own pizza shop and he said something like, "We make real stuffed pizzas, unlike Giordano's." So I asked him if Giordano's uses a top crust and said "no". So I decided to call up a Giordano's restaurant and ask. At first the manager said "no, there is no second crust" and then he amended this to, "Well, there's a very thin layer of crust that we add, but it's almost not there."

Now, I used to watch the workers make Giordano's deep dish from the dough put through the sheeter to the pie going into the oven--and there was no second crust. I even asked the order-taker about their use of the word "stuffed". She said, "Oh, that's just what we call our deep dish." So the only thing I can think of is that this particular store was deviating from the norm.

The trick to duplicatng the Giordano's taste is with the formula 3 tablespoons canola oil/ 1 cup flour and kneading for 2- 2.5 minutes.