Author Topic: Giordano's-style Deep Dish  (Read 27574 times)

Offline burn8

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: Giordano's-style Deep Dish
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2006, 04:43:01 PM »
I can confirm that there is a top layer of dough on the stuffed Giordanos. I stood and watched the cooks make probably 20 pies this way. To get the clean top edge, they were running a small, apparently quite sharp, knife around the top of the pan after setting the top layer of dough and pinching approx 8 small holes in it.

the

Offline Wazatron

• 100% Pizza!!
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »
Hi all - Buzz, I was able to try out your recipe this weekend and it was a smashing success!! I'm afraid I don't have pictures, but I'll make it again at some point and take pictures.

The only problem I had was that the bottom burnt on me, but I'm 99% sure that it was because I left the oven rack at the lowest position (I had baked anotehr pizza earlier) so when the oven would cycle on the pan was right next to the heating elements. Amazingly it still tasted great.

Even though I didn't get pictures I thought I'd share the recipe I used, since I changed it to IDY instead of ADY.

•   3 cups KA Bread Flour (I meant to use AP, but when it came time to make it KABF was all I had)
•   0.12 oz/3.15 grams/1.2 tsp IDY
•   ~1 cup total water (the dough was fairly dry, even when I quit adding water)
•   1.5 tsp. sugar
•   1.5 tsp. Kosher salt
•   9 TBS (not tsp.) oil (7 canola, 2 extra light olive oil)

Like I said it was still pretty dry, and I'm assuming I ended up at 1 cup since I started with .75. But it rose nicely on the counter for 8 hours and rolled out easily. Overal it was a great success! I will try again with pictures!

Offline buzz

« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2006, 11:08:25 AM »
Glad you liked it! Middle position is better in the oven!

Offline munman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2006, 08:34:15 PM »
Here is my question.  I have the dough down pat.   It took some work but I got it.  Help me with the layering.  Is it cheese, toppings, crushed tomatoes then repeat.  If so, how many layers before I put the top crust on.  My wife and I argue about it everytime I make the pie.

Offline RSMBob

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2006, 01:22:02 AM »
Good question...here's how I understand it from what I have eaten and made"

From the bottom:
Dough pulled up the side
Sliced (not shredded) mozz/cheese
Toppings/Fillings
Optional: some sauce
2nd dough layer
Sauce/Tomatoes
Sprinkle of Parmesan or Romano Cheese

Oh great...now I'm hungry!

Offline templeofsamadhi

« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2006, 02:02:36 PM »
Nooooo.....not quite if you are trying to make a Giordano's style deep dish. Here is the breakdown from bottom up:

Dough
toppings
cheese(NOT sliced, SHREDDED--Gino's East uses sliced)
2nd dough layer
sauce
sprinkled parm cheese

Note there are no 2nd layers of sauce or toppings. Giordanos follows this very closely. BTW, Black olives are a topping that doesnt follow these rules, they are left out of the middle and put on the very top, right before the pie being sprinkled with parm cheese. I assume its because they arent drained well and would release alot of unwanted moisture into the center of the pizza.

Offline smokeyglass

• I Love Pizza, Barbeque and Glass!
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2006, 03:13:32 PM »
Hi, I am new.  I just found this great site, as I was trying to locate the key to the unique crust on the Girodano's stuffed pizza.  What a find!  I am in Oregon and had 2 pizzas shipped to me by a Chicago friend.  We cooked them yesterday and they were wonderful.  I am excited to try out the recipes on this thread.  We have a wood-fired brick pizza oven - does anyone else out there have this type of oven?  I am curious about baking times as it differs a lot from regular ovens. 

Thanks in advance. 

Jeanette
Jeanette B

Offline buzz

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2006, 12:52:52 PM »
Smokeyglass--

if you have Leonardo's frozen deep dish in your area, the crust is practically identical to Giordano's (so you wouldn't have to have it shipped, if you don't want to make your own). The sauce is not Giordano's-style, but you can make your own, if you'd like (it comes in a separate packet).

Offline smokeyglass

• I Love Pizza, Barbeque and Glass!
« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2006, 05:40:10 PM »
Thanks, Buzz.  I have never seen Leonardo's but do appreciate the tip.  I have never purchased a frozen pizza so it may be out there somewhere and I have just not seen it.  I was fortunate enough to have a friend in Chicago send these Giordano's stuffed pizzas to me.  I am going to try making it myself, need to purchase some deep dish pie pans first.  I am used to making the thin crust pizzas with my own recipe and do not use a pie pan. 

Thanks again for the info, and what a great bulletin board this is! 

Jeanette
Jeanette B

Offline timza

• My very first pizza.
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
I am confused...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:20:23 PM by timza »
Eratosthenes calculated the Earth's circumference around 240 B.C.

Offline goosen1

• What can Brown do for you??
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »
This is the recipe that I have

Scaled for 9inch Pizza

Dough Ingredients:
3 cups Ceresota or King Arthur Brand All-Purpose Flour  (Measured Scoop and Sweep using a butter knife)
1 ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 ½ teaspoon Granulated Sugar
11 teaspoons Wesson Canola Oil  (individually measured level tsps.)
1 teaspoon Bertolli’s Classic Olive Oil
¾ cup Warm Water
1 ½ teaspoon SAF Yeast

Sauce Recipe:  Make Ahead of Time

1 – 28oz. Can Escalon Brand 6-in-1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes (completely drained in a double fine strainer) (When I used escalon straight out of the can I got soup).
3/4  teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Sugar
¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 teaspoon Dried Basil
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 09:16:01 PM by goosen1 »
Arguing with a truckdriver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.. After a while.... you realize the pig enjoys it!!!!

Offline timza

• My very first pizza.
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2007, 08:03:20 AM »
The first recipe by buzz the original poster had 9 teaspoons canola oil, then there was some discussion about reducing that amount of oil to 7, then a calculation to 7.10, then buzz wrote "The ratio I use is 3 tablespoons (not teaspoons) oil/ 1 cup flour", which would make the first recipe (because the first recipe had 1.5 cups flour) have 1.5 times 3 tablespoons of oil, or 4.5 tablespoons of oil, which I believe is 13.5 teaspoons.

So I am confused.

Tim
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:21:42 PM by timza »
Eratosthenes calculated the Earth's circumference around 240 B.C.

pizzapan