Author Topic: thin crust dough  (Read 1488 times)

Offline 3.14 Guy

• THIS GUY loves great pizza!
thin crust dough
« on: July 22, 2011, 09:09:44 PM »
Just had an incredible thin crust grilled chicken, red onion, mushroom, tomato, gorgonzola over pesto pizza at New Holland Brewing Company in Holland, MI.  I've done toppings like this at home before, but never over a thin crust like they do it.  The dough was tender, soft, but very thin (very much UNLIKE) what I am used to making at home (I usually prefer a Sicilian/Detroit style crust).

Is this what you refer to here as "California style"?

Can you offer any recipes for dough like that?  I always associate "thin" with crackery, dry, etc.  This was not like that, it was incredible!

Thanks!
Making great pizza, outstanding beer and fantastic BBQ.  This is my passion!

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Re: thin crust dough
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 08:01:19 AM »
No, the California thin crust is moderately thin and crispy, more crackery than what you have described. What you have described sounds more like a Philadelphia style crust. This type of crust gets its characteristics from the high oven temperature (800F) that it's baked at along with the requisite short baking time, typically about 90 to 120-seconds. Paper thin, crispy, but does not maintain the crisp for very long.
The dough is a pretty basic one, just flour (high gluten), salt, yeast and water. The formula looks something like this: Flour: 100%; Salt: 2.5%; Yeast: (compressed) 1%; Water: 60%. The Dough is allowed to ferment overnight in the fridge, then opened into dough skins on the following day, and baked directly on the oven hearth. In Philly they eat this type of pizza with a knife and fork.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor