Author Topic: Bosch Recommendation  (Read 2020 times)

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
Bosch Recommendation
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
I am considering ordering a new Bosch Universal Plus mixer to replace my KA which is only capable of a single batch at a time.  I've read a bunch of good things about the Bosch but am wondering what is the recommendation on the preferred bowl to get?  My usage will pretty much be for pizza and bread, so I'm wondering if the "dough only" SST bowl (without the center post) is the best option.  My wife might try to horn in and use it for holiday cookies, but I can cross that bridge later and get the appropriate accessory if necessary.

thanks

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Bosch Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:37:37 PM »
I have never used the ss bowl, just the plastic one that came with it.   I love it!     I have been experimenting with super hydrated doughs lately thanks to many regular forum members going that route, and I have to admit, the bosch may not be the best mixer for this style.   I don't know if you ever go above 65% hydration, but if you do you might be better off with an electrolux.   For under 65 I like the bosch much better, and it certainly does a great job with other things like making icing/whipping egg whites etc.   Good luck.  
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:04:59 PM by scott r »

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
I *love* the SST bowl for dough, especially high hydration.  My wife loves the white bowl with cookie paddles though it's so efficient that she gets nervous and sometimes will default to the slower, more familiar KA.

If your budget can stand it you might consider the blender.  Great for smoothies and saved us from upgrading our old one.
Always make new mistakes.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:00 AM »
I *love* the SST bowl for dough, especially high hydration.  My wife loves the white bowl with cookie paddles though it's so efficient that she gets nervous and sometimes will default to the slower, more familiar KA.

If your budget can stand it you might consider the blender.  Great for smoothies and saved us from upgrading our old one.

Dmaxdmax, I have the regular plastic bowl and unable to mix high hydration doughs with it.  Does the SS bowl mix dough differently that it can handle high hydration doughs?  With the regular bowl, the dough just gets wrap up on the center post.
When you refer to high hydration doughs, can you give an example of the hydration along with the type of flour?

Thank you so much.
Chau

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:41:07 PM »
Jackie,  I have the older Bosh Universal, not the plus, with the dough hooks and the center column, and had the same problem as you with a hydration of above 75%. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:14:54 PM by barryvabeach »

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 08:28:18 AM »
The SS bowl has no center post but a 3 prong thingie that connects at the bottom with the arms pointing up.  It isn't perfect, I usually have to pause and give the sides a quick scrape with a wet scraper but that takes all of 10 seconds.  I actually wonder if the outside bar could be closer to the side but it isn't. 

I've made focaccia with bread flour @80%, neo-nea at 75% and recently a sprouted wheat dough at 92%.  There's no way I could have done that in the white bowl.

I'll post a link to a thread that has pictures.  Check back in 2 minutes.
120, 119, 118....

Dave

Offline inSaNE iRIsH

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 08:30:49 AM »
thanks guys, I just placed my order for one with the SST dough only bowl...can't wait.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 08:34:14 AM »
I thought I had more bowl pictures and this doesn't show the mechanism well but it gives some small idea.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14587.msg145314.html#msg145314

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
The SS bowl has no center post but a 3 prong thingie that connects at the bottom with the arms pointing up.  It isn't perfect, I usually have to pause and give the sides a quick scrape with a wet scraper but that takes all of 10 seconds.  I actually wonder if the outside bar could be closer to the side but it isn't. 

I've made focaccia with bread flour @80%, neo-nea at 75% and recently a sprouted wheat dough at 92%.  There's no way I could have done that in the white bowl.

I'll post a link to a thread that has pictures.  Check back in 2 minutes.
120, 119, 118....

Dave

Thank you Dave, exactly what I was looking for.   Good to know the SS bowl can handle high hydration bowls.   This is very important as I know some members have avoided the bosch mixer b/c the regular white bowl can't handle higher hydration doughs.

Now if only someone can figure out how to slow down the mixing speed, that would be awesome!

Chau