Author Topic: new member - plus question  (Read 553 times)

Offline hana

new member - plus question
« on: July 20, 2011, 02:46:46 PM »
Hello pizza lovers and pizza makers:
I found your forum because I need to buy a pizza stone for the home I moved to.  My old pizza stone does not fit the new home's oven.  Unfortunately it is not turning out to be that easy to find a new stone.  I have been contacting tile companies to buy tiles but have found only one at the moment but the thickness is only 3/8".  I understand the stone thickness should be at least 1/2" and up to 1".  So my question is:  If I stack pizza stones so that the thickness is a minimum of 1/2", will the stones crack? Or will something else happen that makes stacking them pointless for the home pizza making process?

scott123

Re: new member - plus question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 03:22:58 PM »
Hana, I generally try to dissuade home bakers from stacking stones because, if the stones aren't perfectly flat, the heat won't flow from the bottom to the top stone fast enough and it will pretty much be just like using one stone.

Even perfectly flat tiles aren't going to be an ideal choice for pizza. At least not for the types you mention in your profile.  It depends, to an extent, on where you are in the U.S., but Grimaldis is generally a coal oven fast baked pizza (and Neapolitan pizza is even faster).  You can, in theory, use two layers of flat tiles, but in order to hit Grimaldi bake times, you're going to need some pretty extreme oven mods, such as hacking it to use the clean cycle. If you're not okay with extreme mods, then tiles are not going to be your answer.

Tell me a little bit about the new oven.

Inner dimension (width, depth)?
Peak temp on the dial?
Convection?
Gas or electric?
If gas, is there a broiling burner in the main oven compartment?

Offline hana

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:57:44 PM »
Actually it is a home oven and I am not trying to replicate a brick oven pizza experience, just enjoying making pizza with a crust that is better than making a pizza without a stone.  I like my pizza stone (bought from Bridge Kitchenware around 2003 and still fine but too large now) but I think I have to keep calling around to see who may have the right thickness and the size.  The size of a stone would be 21" x 11" - so there is about 1" around the stone and the wall of the oven.  I am also trying to find smaller stones that can align enough to fit in the oven to make small or medium pizzas.  I would also like to line the floor of the oven with a stone or stones that would provide enough coverage as well. I understand having a bottom stone helps as well.  The Home Depot near me does not have unglazed, lead-free, undyed tiles.

Offline minesamojito

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 12:32:37 AM »
Hey how about getting a piece of granite cut to fit your oven, if you got 2 pieces you could do 2 pizza at a time, even a heavy duty thick metal baking sheet can make nice pizza too, I have these for when i'm not firing up my wood fired oven
cheers
marcus
Visit my outdoor cooking and wood oven blog
http://countrywoodsmoke.wordpress.com/

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:24:15 AM »
Hey how about getting a piece of granite cut to fit your oven

Granite in an oven ? :o
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:58:20 AM »
I went through all manner of stones that broke too easily.  Then my baby surprised me with a Fibrament stone.  It works perfectly and lives in the oven.

http://www.bakingstone.com/

scott123

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 11:24:50 AM »
Hana, if you like Grimaldis and, with the right stone, can make it in a home oven, why not go for it? Why settle for good pizza when you can make great pizza?

pizzapan