Author Topic: to sell booze or not to sell booze on Sunday....  (Read 868 times)

Offline all1knew

to sell booze or not to sell booze on Sunday....
« on: July 20, 2011, 03:32:23 PM »
Hello all,

I have a bar, and now I have a kitchen. My county is a dry county on Sunday's, meaning no liquor sales unless you own a restaurant and serve food. In order to be approved to sell liquor on Sundays, your gross for the year has to be 60% food sales, 40% liquor.

Does anyone have any tips for me on how I could increase my food sales in a bar?

Looking forward to any ideas and thanks in advance.

Bill

Online TXCraig1

Re: to sell booze or not to sell booze on Sunday....
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
Push it. Have your bartender offer it. Have the offer up in their face all the time. Pay your servers a bonus for selling food. Have specials on a chalkboard or similar where people see them all the time. Have menu's lying around - you should not have to open the menu to read it. Offer things people like with whatever sort of drinks are popular. Have good prices. You don't need to make a mint on the food. Sell foods that make people thirsty. Coincidentally, these tend to be the foods people like to order when they drink. Get a deep fryer if you don't have one. If you do, you're in tall cotton. What person with a few drinks in their belly can say no to fried food? They may not ask for it, but if you offer and make it visible...

There are tons of fully cooked, heat and serve foods available that taste great and require no skill to prepare properly. Talk to your distributor and local food brokers. They can give you tons of ideas and lots of samples of things to try. You want things that can be stored in a freezed and prepared from the frozen state. Then you have little worry about spoilage and can offer more options. Don't print expensive menus. You can run them on your computer daily. That way you can change them based on what you have and what is working for you. Run lots of specials and try lots of new things. Keep the ones that sell well and dump the dogs. Have some local favorites and some things they can't get other places.

I'd have lots of options finger foods and some larger items like hamburgers (go precooked), pizza, etc. Labor is your biggest challenge, so think simple, easy, foolproof, little labor.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline all1knew

Re: to sell booze or not to sell booze on Sunday....
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:39 PM »
Craig in Texas,

Thanks for the tips. I have a conveyor belt style oven in my kitchen now, and I'm hoping to do pizzas of course and buffalo wings (pre cooked, reheat like you're talking about)

I'm going to be running delivery for the business between 6-10 so if I can sell enough pies I can do this.

Great idea about incentives for food sales, that will work very well during the slow hours when tips aren't coming in.

Bill