Author Topic: You say Tomato, and I say Kumato  (Read 1658 times)

Offline Jevla

You say Tomato, and I say Kumato
« on: June 19, 2011, 07:27:49 PM »
Trader Joe's here in the Phoenix area is selling what they call "brown" tomato's. They have that distinct olive drab color similar to some vintage or "heirloom" tomato's except they are perfectly round. Inside is a dark crimson flesh high in fructose and low in acid (very fruity). We cut them up and make Martgherita style pizzas with no sauce. I'm telling you, these tomatoes are perfect for pizza. You just might be converted like we were...also they are not overpriced and keep well in the fridge.

http://www.kumato.com/en.aspx

Offline texmex

Re: You say Tomato, and I say Kumato
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 11:18:25 AM »
That sounds great!  Too bad Trader Joe's won't start a store here, but 5 hours away is too far to drive for quality food.
Reesa

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »
Too bad Trader Joe's won't start a store here, but 5 hours away is too far to drive for quality food.

texmex,

TJ's a comin': http://www.statesman.com/business/trader-joes-has-its-eye-on-austin-other-1452107.html. However, I don't know when or if it it make its way to West Texas where you are.

Peter

Offline texmex

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:43:18 PM »
Oh, how I wish we could get one here.  As it is, we've got only Sun Harvest (Henry's/Sprouts) and it's 16 miles from my home.  32 miles round trip to get my bulk baking goods, flax, wild rice, Boar's Head pepperoni and organic oats makes for some interesting planning, and a good chest freezer.  I drove out there this Saturday and was happy to find Red Bell Peppers at 49 cents each.  I bought 20 of them, and would have bought more, if I had time to prep more... Already roasted them yesterday, and will prep them for the dehydrator tonight.  If only I could find those heirloom tomatoes too. 

Trader Joes makes claims that they decide where to place stores based on ability to get their goods to market in a timely manner.  Whatever that means.  They've got TJ's in landlocked NM, so that reasoning just don't fly with me.. 
Reesa

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »
They are delicious!  I was jones'en for a good tomato, but here in Pennsylvania, we only get good tomato's from late July..  I first tried Kumato's in a salad several months ago..  A grocery chain called Wegman's carries Kumato's..  I have yet to try them on pizza..

pizzapan