Author Topic: 2 Hour Dough Rise Pizza Cooked Well Done  (Read 1014 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
2 Hour Dough Rise Pizza Cooked Well Done
« on: July 21, 2011, 02:31:42 AM »
I made another large doughball tonight,Intended size is for two 14 inch doughballs.With the bread machine being so small,this is a pretty big doughball!
 :-D
One half of the doughball after kneading in the bread machine,went into the fridge for a final cold rise for 1-2 days MAX,and the other half,I let it rise for 2 hours in the bowl,covered,at room temps.This time,I was not out to make the fastest pizza I could,but I wanted to see what would happen,if I gave the doughball some time to rise after it was done kneading and not use it right away.

I also wanted to see if this typical recipe I make at times,can even qualify as an emergency dough,if let out to rise at kitchen room temps for a certain time.It sure did in the end!!

The dough that I let rise for 2 hours,really exceeded my expectations.I was able to open and stretch it just as easily as any other dough ball that I made before.It was actually a bit extensible on its own,to where when I was shaping it,it could have easily made a very thin 16 inch pizza.

FYI,My large super peel,I marked circles on the cloth using pizza screens as a template,so I know what size Im at and how much I can go.

Since I was using a dough that did not ferment very long,I decided to cook the pizza to a longer timed,7 minutes,on the stone,no broiler.I love them well done anyways.It was a very well done pie,and it was fantastic.It had very little flop on the front and very crispy.I loved the char and crunch.

Here where it got interesting.I only ate a slice...After about 30 minutes or so of sitting on the screen,the slices sitting there is now stiffer.There is zero flop.I even flipped a slice upside down and same thing!Most pizzas I have made would get softer after sitting! Do longer cook times cause this?

Never seen this happen before either.I took some pics to show a little bit of that as well.Thanks for reading.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

Re: 2 Hour Dough Rise Pizza Cooked Well Done
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:33:01 AM »
Here is a slice that sat out for a little while.Second pic,its upside down.
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:37:28 AM »
Sorry folks,I forgot to add the dough recipe.Gawd I talk too much...
 :-[

Btw,KABF was used.

Flour (100%):    512.52 g  |  18.08 oz | 1.13 lbs
Water (64%):    328.02 g  |  11.57 oz | 0.72 lbs
IDY (0.3%):    1.54 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.51 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Salt (2.0%):    10.25 g | 0.36 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.84 tsp | 0.61 tbsp
Oil (2.0%):    10.25 g | 0.36 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.28 tsp | 0.76 tbsp
Sugar (2.0%):    10.25 g | 0.36 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.57 tsp | 0.86 tbsp
Total (170.3%):   872.83 g | 30.79 oz | 1.92 lbs | TF = 0.1
Single Ball:   436.41 g | 15.39 oz | 0.96 lbs
-Bill

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »
CP;
Good lookin' pizza!
You're right about the longer baking time helping to make a firmer crust. This is why I seldom ever use much, if any sugar in my doughs, as it allows me to bake the pizzas longer without developing excessive crust color.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 09:29:14 AM »
Bill,

Great experiment!  I agree with Tom, you pizza does look very good.  ;D  Looks like you found an emergency dough and longer cold ferment dough that works. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Malicon420

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
Looks good, I think I would have been happy at 5 or 6 minutes, but if you like it that's what matters most.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 12:55:06 PM »
CP,

Now that's good stuff! The pie looks excellent.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 10:53:54 PM »
Thanks for the nice words everyone!
 :)
I have made pies into the high 2 minute range,and prefer my pies best at around 3-4 minutes on the stone,Provided the oven got hot enough to do so and broiler mod.

I have also made pies with no oil or sugar,even salt,and a bunch of other experiments as many of you already know.What I really liked about this,was,even though it was very well done,it tasted very good for such a very short time of dough rising.

Most of my pizzas have been made with doughs that fermented in the fridge for 1-3 days after mixing,and this one not fridge risen has given me another insight on how my doughs turn out and what they taste like.I believe the bread machine I'm using does a great job kneading to where I can use the dough within 3 hours of making,and get almost identical results of the fridge risen doughs.

Of course,I love my longer,cold fridge risen doughs the most.I just did not think this one would nearly rival it.Always learning something and always willing to share no matter how small the changes may be.

8)

-Bill

pizzapan