Author Topic: pizza in rack oven  (Read 681 times)

Offline mcduffies

pizza in rack oven
« on: July 22, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
I operate a wholesale bakery in upstate NY and have just recently opened a retail store, We are going to offer pizza and have been experimenting with baking Pizza in a hobart rack oven. The pizza tastes great, but am not getting the color on the bottom or crust. It's crispy but looks pale. I am baking on a screen that sits on the rack on a upside down perforated bread pan. What can I do to get the char on the bottom. I baked at 400 degrees

Offline scott123

Re: pizza in rack oven
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »
Brian, quite simply, you get char from lots of  heat, ideally, a pre-heated stone (or steel) hearth and intense top heat from a broiler element or from a bottom heat source that uses deflectors to redirect the heat to the top of the pizza. Is this NY Style pizza you're trying to make? You can't make NY Style pizza in a 400 deg. oven. You get a little bit of leeway temperature-wise depending on the materials you bake it on, but I would say 500 is the bare minimum, although, the higher the better.

What model oven is this? Is there any documentation for it online?  Do you have a manual for it? Is it convection? What's the peak temp?