Author Topic: Brother's Pizza Crust from General Mills Flour-High Gluten  (Read 6099 times)

Offline $Circle$

• OIP Crust Recipe - I NEED IT!
Brother's Pizza Crust from General Mills Flour-High Gluten
« on: June 13, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »
I have been lurking for a bit since I am trying to come up with a pizza dough formula that OIP (Original Italian Pizza – Mid-State PA. Chain) or the pizza dough formula that Brothers Pizza (Mid-State Chain) uses.

I don’t know much about the protein / gluten levels and how it effects the dough these pizza chains use, but I know for a fact the Brothers Pizza uses General Mills “All Trumps - #50111” flour.  I know this because I got an empty bag out of their garage bin.  I know, I know…low move, but I am desperate to learn this dough recipe. 

I ended up talking to a General Mills (GM) Rep. about getting a sample 50lb. bag of this #50111 High Gluten (“All Trumps”) flour and believe it or not he said he would ship me one.  He did say that he only deals with Truck loads, 25-50 pallets with each pallet holding 50 bags.  I would need to find a Food Service provider to sell this to me in smaller quantities.  I have not checked into this yet, but I just received my sample bag today. I have yet to try and reproduce the Brother's Pizza (BP) dough.  I did find out, from the BP owner that he uses the 24 hour raising method and sugar in his dough.  Didn’t get amounts though.  Below are some formulas I got from GM from what I can tell I should first be trying the “Thin Pizza Crust” formula but it does not call for any sugar … any guesses of how much I should start with?

I also got the “GENERAL MILLS BAKERS FLOUR
PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS” on the “All Trumps” flour.  You can download it and read it from here  www.pennswoods.net/~luke1027/AllTrumps_50111.doc.

You can also download the formulas from below in "word" doc format from here  www.pennswoods.net/~luke1027/GM_Flour_Formulas.doc.
Any help is getting this BP dough figured out would be great.

Thanks,

$Circle$

Basic make-up
Use bowl and hook. Mix 8 to 10 minutes at low speed. Take dough directly to the bench and divide into pieces of desired size. Form into balls and place on lightly oiled sheet pan. Apply a light coating of oil to each dough ball. Cover trays with plastic and place on rack in the retarder. Refrigerate the dough balls overnight. Remove from retarder one hour before anticipated use to allow the dough to warm up slightly. The dough can remain at room temperature over the next three hours for use. You can tailor any of these basic formulas to your needs, depending on the style of pizza you wish to make.
Function of Ingredients
Flour   Provides structure; extensibility, gas retention, nutrition.
Yeast   The function of the yeast is fermentation, providing leavening, dough conditioning, flavor and aroma.
Salt   Salt helps control the fermentation process by slowing it down. It also toughens the dough.
Sugar   Sugar provides fermentable food for the yeast. A small amount of the residual sugar helps with crust browning.
Shortening/Oil   Shortening provides lubrication for mixing as well as tenderness to the finished product.
Whole Eggs   Provides both flavor and natural color.
Water   Hydrates the flour to form gluten and is a solvent for other ingredients.

Thick Pizza Crust (Overnight Process)
Ingredients
Ingredients       Quantity
Gold Medal
Superlative Flour   25 lbs.
Water (variable)    12 lbs. 7 ozs.
Salt               7 1/2 ozs.
Sugar                   8 ozs.
Vegetable Oil          16 ozs.
Instant Yeast           2 ozs.
1. Place water in mixing bowl.2. Add remaining ingredients (except yeast).3. Blend on low speed for 30-45 seconds.4. Add instant yeast to center of mixture and continue mixing on low for additional 5 minutes.5. Scale and round into desired size. Cover doughballs lightly with oil and place in covered containers.6. Place into retarder (refrigerator) overnight or until needed (minimum 6 hours, maximum 72 hours).7. Allow to come to room temperature prior to use (approx. 45-60 minutes).8. Roll or press out, top and bake as usual.
Gold Medal
Water (variable)    13 lbs. 4 ozs.
Salt               6 3/4 ozs.
Sugar                   8 ozs.
Vegetable Oil          16 ozs.
Instant Yeast       3 1/4 ozs.
1. Place water in mixing bowl.2. Add remaining ingredients (except yeast).3. Blend on low speed for 30-45 seconds.4. Add instant yeast to center of mixture and continue mixing to full development (8-10 minutes).5. Allow dough to double in size (1-2 hours).6. Scale and round into desired size doughballs, cover skin slightly with oil. Place in covered container.7. Roll or press out dough, then top and bake.

Thin Pizza Crust
Ingredients
Gold Medal
Active Dry Yeast     2-3 ozs.
Water (100°-110°F)   3 lbs. 7 ozs.
Salt                   8 ozs.
Oil                  10 ozs.
Water
(variable,
room temperature)   9 lbs. 13 ozs.
1. Scale active dry yeast, add to 100°-110°F water in mixing bowl; let dissolve 5 minutes.2. Add flour, salt, oil and remaining water.3. Mix 1 minute on low; 10-12 minutes on medium until developed.4. Divide dough and refrigerate until ready to use (in covered container, doughballs lightly oiled), or allow floor time at room temperature (approx. one hour).5. Let stand one hour before topping and baking.

Deep Dish Pizza
Ingredients
Gold Medal
H&R Flour    25 lbs.
Water (variable) 15 lbs.
Salt               6 1/2 ozs.
Sugar               9 1/2 ozs.
Corn Oil          16 ozs.
1. Place water in mixing bowl.2. Add remaining ingredients (except yeast).3. Blend on low speed for 30-45 seconds. Add instant yeast to center of mixture and continue mixing to full development (8-10 minutes).4. Scale and round into desired size. Cover doughballs lightly with oil and place in covered containers.5. Place into retarder (refrigerator) overnight or until needed (minimum 6 hours, maximum 72 hours).6. Allow doughballs to come up to room temperature prior to use (approx. 45-60 minutes).7. Sheet/roll out each dough piece to desired size.8. Place in lightly oiled deep-dish pan (pan bottom and sides should be oiled).9. Build up a dough edge along the sides of the pan.10. Let dough rise 15 to 45 minutes (dependent on thickness desired).11. Top and bake in a 450°F oven until golden brown.

Focaccia (Onion and Poppy)
Ingredients
Ingredients     Baker's Percent
Gold Medal
Superlative Flour     100%
Water (variable)      50%
Olive Oil           4%
Yeast (compressed)       2%
Salt                   1.5%
Sugar                   1%
Diced Onion,
(rehydrated)          10%
Poppy Seeds           2%
Italian Seasoning   
(marjoram, thyme,
rosemary,   
sage, oregano and basil)     .4%
1. Weigh all ingredients into mixing bowl.2. Mix dough 1/2 to 3/4 development. Desired dough temperature: 75-80°F.3. Scale and round immediately into desired size pieces. Coat each doughball lightly with vegetable oil. Cover and retard overnight.4. Remove from retarder and allow to warm to room temperature.5. Press out the dough into the desired size with your fingertips.Leave the indentations in the dough.6. Brush the surface of the dough with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt.7. For a thick crust focaccia, allow dough to proof 30-60 minutes.8. Bake until golden brown at 450°F.9. Immediately out of the oven, brush with olive oil or melted butter.10. Cut into strips or wedges to serve.

Classic French Bread
Ingredients
Ingredients    Baker's Percent
Gold Medal
Superlative
Unbleached Flour     100%
Water (variable)      62%
Yeast (compressed)       2%
Salt                   1.8%
1. Mix dough until fully developed. Dough temperature 77-80°F.2. Ferment 1 1/4 hours, punch and take to bench in 15 minutes.3. Give full proof. Bake at 400°F until golden brown.4. Slit top and bake in pre-steamed hearth oven at 425°F.

Allow to cool before serving.
Add salt 2 minutes before end of mixing.
Allow full 90 minutes fermentation.
Bake fully to achieve optimum flavor and crust characteristics.

Italian Breadsticks
Ingredients
Gold Medal or
Superlative Flour     1 lb. 12 ozs.
Butter or Shortening       2 ozs.
Sugar                   2 ozs.
Salt                 1/4 oz.
Onion, dry minced       1 oz.
Italian Seasoning     1/4 oz.
Instant Dry Yeast       1 oz.
Milk                   8 ozs.
Water, hot          12 ozs.
1. Combine liquids in mixing bowl.2. Add seasonings, shortening and flour; sprinkle yeast on top of flour.3. Mix on #1 speed of 3-speed mixer for 1 minute and then for 5-6 minutes on #2.4. Cover and rest in warm area to double.5. Divide dough into 1 1/2-2 oz. pieces; roll into lengths.6. Brush with egg white and roll in cheese or salt. Let rise 20 minutes.7. Bake at 375°F for 15 minutes.

Thin Pizza Crust
Ingredients
Ingredients        Quantity
All Trumps Flour
or Supreme
High Gluten        25 lbs.
Active Dry Yeast     1-3 ozs.
Water
(variable,
room temperature)   10 lbs. 5 ozs.
1. Scale active dry yeast, add to 100°-110°F water in mixing bowl; let dissolve 5 minutes.2. Add flour, salt, oil and remaining water.3. Mix 1 minute on low; 10-12 minutes on medium until developed.4. Divide dough and refrigerate until ready to use (in covered container, doughballs lightly oiled), or allow floor time at room temperature (approx. one hour).5. Let stand one hour before topping and baking.

Pizza Crust
Ingredients
Ingredients        Quantity
Gold Medal
Active Dry Yeast     2-3 ozs.
Water
(variable,
room temperature)   9 lbs. 13 ozs.

Breadsticks
Ingredients
Gold Medal
H&R Flour    25 lbs.
Water (variable) 15 lbs.
Salt               6 1/2 ozs.
Sugar               9 1/2 ozs.
Corn Oil          16 ozs.
Although most pizza dough will make good breadsticks, for ideal results use the deep dish crust formula variation.1. Divide the dough into 2 oz. pieces and roll into lengths.2. Brush with egg white and roll in cheese or garlic salt with Italian Seasoning.3. Let rise for 20 minutes then bake at 450°F until golden brown.

Calzones (Pizza Pockets)
Ingredients
1. Prepare thin or thick crust dough from the pizza recipes.
2. Divide dough into desired weights.

Suggested scaling weights:
4" calzone    3 oz. doughball
6" calzone    6 oz. doughball
8" calzone   10 oz. doughball

3. Round doughballs and coat each lightly with vegetable oil.Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4. Remove pieces for make-up as needed.
1. Sheet or roll out each dough piece into a circle.2. Place calzone filling (use your favorite pizza toppings) on lower half of each circle. Avoid overfilling and leave a border around the circle of dough.3. Fold top half over the filling and crimp the edge.4. Allow the calzone to rest for 30-60 minutes.5. Cut small slit in top of each calzone. Brush tops lightly with olive oil.6. Bake at 400°F until golden brown.

Cinnamon Twists
Ingredients
1. Prepare thin or thick crust dough from the pizza recipes.
2. Divide dough into 8 equal pieces. Round doughballs and coat each lightly with vegetable oil. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
3. Remove pieces for make-up as needed.
1. Sheet or roll out dough into rectangular shape approximately 8 X 16 inches.2. Brush dough surface with melted butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar (raisins optional).3. Fold the dough in half to form an 8 X 8-inch square.4. Cut into 1-inch wide strips.5. Twist strips to form rope and tie into loose knots or place on greased sheet pan in braids. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with additional cinnamon sugar.Bake at 400°F until golden brown and serve immediately. Do not make up more than one hour in advance.

I want to Learn the Secert to GOOD Crust!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Brother's Pizza Crust from General Mills Flour-High Gluten
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2005, 02:51:43 PM »
$Circle$,

If I understood your post correctly, it sounds like you would like to have a recipe that uses the All Trumps high-gluten flour (14.1%), as well as sugar, to make a single-pizza size dough ball (refrigerated) for a thin crust pizza. Is that correct? If so, it would help to know a bit more about the OIP or Brothers pizzas. Quite often, the All Trumps flour is used to make a basic NY style (thin). Is that the case with OIP or Brothers? If not, please indicate how thin or thick the crust is (e.g., 1/8 inch, 1/4 inch, etc.). Also, it would help to know the size of pizzas (diameters) of the OIP and Brothers pizzas that you would like to try to duplicate. If you can find out the weight of an OIP or Brothers dough ball for that size (if either outfit will give you that information), that would make your task all the much easier.

To use the GM thin crust dough recipe you posted, you will need to know the type of pizza you want to duplicate, the size of the pizza (diameter) and, if possible, the dough ball weight for that size pizza. Having all three of these data points will allow you to downsize the GM recipe to a single-pizza size. Missing one of these three data points isn't fatal, but it will mean having to guess a bit. Assuming there is enough data to proceed, do you understand how to calculate the baker's percents for the GM thin crust recipe and how to use the baker's percents to determine how much of each ingredient to use, including the sugar (which is not now in the recipe)? And, if so, do you have a scale to weigh at least the flour and water or do you use volume measurements?

Even if you get past the hurdle of coming up with a usable recipe, it is possible that you won't get the same results as OIP and Brothers because their processing of their doughs, even though they use the same All Trumps flour, may be different from the one recommended by GM. Just looking at the GM recipes, they strike me as being basic recipes--the kind that would be used by professional pizza operators. Chain pizza operators are into simplicity, so if I had to guess, OIP and Brothers are most likely trying to keep things simple and uncomplicated and not to try doing anything fancy with their doughs. Do you know offhand how the two companies bake their pizzas, i.e., on a hearthlike surface (such as with a Blodgett or Baker's Pride oven), a conveyor, using screes or disks, etc.?

Once you provide answers to the questions posed above, I think I can help you proceed with your objective. If there are any unique aspects of the pizzas or the doughs/crusts of the two companies (e.g, very sweet crust, breadlike crust, yeasty flavor, etc.),  it would be helpful to know what those unique aspects are since they may affect the recipe you end up using. Please feel to provide any other information that you think may be helpful in achieving your objective.

Peter

Offline $Circle$

• OIP Crust Recipe - I NEED IT!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:51:06 PM »
$Circle$,

Once you provide answers to the questions posed above, I think I can help you proceed with your objective. If there are any unique aspects of the pizzas or the doughs/crusts of the two companies (e.g, very sweet crust, breadlike crust, yeasty flavor, etc.),  it would be helpful to know what those unique aspects are since they may affect the recipe you end up using. Please feel to provide any other information that you think may be helpful in achieving your objective.

Peter

Thanks Peter ... I will be checking into this info.  I need to purchase a good digital scale, any advise on brand and place of purchase?  I would also like to get a good digital Thermometer ... any advice or place to purchase this?

Thanks,

$Circle$
I want to Learn the Secert to GOOD Crust!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 01:24:37 PM »
$Circle$,

There are any number of scales that would suffice although I would personally recommend a digital one. They are more expensive than the spring-loaded and similar analog scales, but in the long run I think you will be happier. You might want to take a look at one of the threads at this forum at which several digital scales were discussed: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,903.msg8224.html#msg8224. The scale I bought (the Soehnle Futura) is mentioned at that thread, but you should consider all the others and find the one that is best for you. You can also do a Google search and locate other possible scales that will best meet your needs and budget. Keep in mind that most digital scales can't weigh very small amounts of lightweight ingredients like yeast, salt, sugar and oil. For these, a good scale is the Frieling Accu Balance scale. When I recently looked for a source of the Frieling scale I could not find anyone with the unit in stock. It's possible also that the model 400 unit may have been discontinued.

As for thermometers, again I would go digital. Mine is a Chef's brand that I got from amazon.com. It's not as good as some of the much more expensive models (that can get close to $70-$80), but it's fine for my purposes. You should look for short response times and fast updates (mine has an 8-second response time and 2-second updates). It also turns off after 10 minutes if no change in temperature occurs in that time period. This is to conserve battery life.

Peter

pizzapan