Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza Training with Roberto Caporuscio and Peppe Starita!  (Read 9928 times)

Offline stephent

Re: Neapolitan Pizza Training with Roberto Caporuscio and Peppe Starita!
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
Did anyone get the measurements for the dough?  Another video on the same cite showed Roberto making a smaller quantity of dough (6 pies) and the measurements were 60 milliliters water, 1 teaspoon fresh yeast, 1 kilo bag of "00" flour, and 1 oz. salt.  I'm trying to calculate whether that's right.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2011, 01:51:03 PM »
I haven't paid attention before to which side goes up, so I guess I will start.  The crust in that 2nd video looks outstanding!
I've tried, but my feeble mind is easily confused and I usually lose track.  ???
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 01:55:10 PM by Bill/SFNM »

scott123

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
I've been maintaining an awareness of face positioning for quite some now- ever since I noticed that my rims were a little bit better off cosmetically if I kept the top of the dough as the top of the pizza.

As I ponder it now, though, I'm wondering if face positioning plays any role in blister generation. I almost always get blisters on the undercrust, but not always on the top.

parallei

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

stephent:

Did anyone get the measurements for the dough?  Another video on the same cite showed Roberto making a smaller quantity of dough (6 pies) and the measurements were 60 milliliters water, 1 teaspoon fresh yeast, 1 kilo bag of "00" flour, and 1 oz. salt.  I'm trying to calculate whether that's right.

A milliliter (mL) is 1/1000 of a liter (L), so 60 ml is 0.06 L.  A mL, weighs 1 gram (g), so 60 mL = 60g.  The hydration of this would be 60/1000 (weight water/weight flour), or 0.06 or 6%.  I think you have the units confused (easy to do!).  You must have seen 60 centiliters (cL).  A cL is 1/100 of a liter, and would weigh 10g.  So, 60 cL = 600g. The hydration of this would be 600/1000 (weight water/weight kilo flour), or 0.6 or 60%.  60% is a reasonable hydration. 

1 oz of salt = 28.3g.  So 28.3/1000 = 0.0283 or 2.8% salt.  This seems right.

I once weighed a tsp of fresh yeast (on a scale that only reads to 1 g) and it was 5g.  So, 5/1000 = 0.005 or 0.5%.  I donít use fresh yeast, so I donít know if that is reasonable or not.  But it seems like it.

Offline stephent

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2011, 03:49:11 PM »
Parallei,
Thanks for doing the hard work.  Much appreciated.

Offline nbickett

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2011, 04:29:09 PM »
I was told that the gravitational force for hours orients the mass in the dough ball downward toward its base. And, if you use the base (which is denser and heavier) as the garnished face, then the baked dough may experience a minute loss of puff, depending on the temperature of the oven. Moreover, since the base seems to be denser than the face, it may be less susceptible to tears.

This being the case, and suppose one wanted to dress the face, would one avoid exposing the face to pressure while shaping and stretching? In other words, might there be structural disadvantages to pressing the face into a surface while shaping and then flipping it to dress it? Surely there is no absolute answer, however, I do think it's an interesting point of inquiry.

Offline mnapoletano

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2011, 10:37:31 PM »
EatItalian.com had the rare opportunity to document a Neapolitan pizza training class given by Master Pizzaiolo, Roberto Caporuscio of Keste' Pizzeria & Vino in NYC  and Peppe Starita from world famous Pizzeria Starita in Naples, Italy. Learn how to make 'real' Neapolitan dough, fresh mozzarella and techniques handed down from generations.

Watch part 1 of this training series.

http://www.eatitalian.com/feature/67044/neapolitan-pizza-making-masters

I was just wondering if anyone had any issues in understanding what they are saying?
I'm Italian and I live in the states but I can't really understand what language they are speaking?
Can anyone subtitle the video, please ...

I really wonder what "ammaccare" means ... does anyone knows?

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
I've been maintaining an awareness of face positioning for quite some now-

Me also.  I always put the bottom to the top when I cooked on the 10 stone.  Somehow I convinced myself that the bottom was wetter and burned more easily if it was on the bottom.  Thats what a newbie gets for thinking..... ::)
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Matthew

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 08:15:23 AM »
I was just wondering if anyone had any issues in understanding what they are saying?
I'm Italian and I live in the states but I can't really understand what language they are speaking?
Can anyone subtitle the video, please ...

I really wonder what "ammaccare" means ... does anyone knows?

Ammaccare is not a word.  Are you referring to "prima devi amare la pizza e puoi `e business"?

Matt

parallei

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 09:27:57 AM »
ammaccare

to dent

to bruise

from my 2001 Collins Gem Dizionario Inglese

Offline Matthew

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 09:58:52 AM »
ammaccare

to dent

to bruise

from my 2001 Collins Gem Dizionario Inglese

Paul you're right.  Late night & no morning coffee!

Matt

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:51 PM »
Dear Nbickett, you asked, "Suppose one wanted to dress the face [of dough ball], would one avoid exposing the face to pressure while shaping and stretching? In other words, might there be structural disadvantages to pressing the face into a surface while shaping and then flipping it to dress it?"

I am not sure if I fully understand your question. One way or other, whether the face of dough ball is pointing upward (away from the marble top) or downward (against the marble top), the face will be inevitably pressed into the surface either directly or indirectly while shaping the dough disc. However, some pizzaioli hardly let the face be directly pressed against the work surface. (Please, check out the following youtube link below.) I would assert that a dough disc fashioned in this manner would yield a softer crust than a dough disc that is manually pressed against the work surface on both the face and base. Have a delightful weekend!

Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline nbickett

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 02:22:29 PM »
I struggled with framing the question because, as you pointed out, either way one is apply pressure to the face, however, you in fact interpreted the question correctly -- the point on whether to flip the face while stretching. Thanks for the link, I will give it a shot tonight!

Offline Pizza Napoletana

• A Philosophy of Pizza Napoletanismo
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
I struggled with framing the question because, as you pointed out, either way one is apply pressure to the face, however, you in fact interpreted the question correctly -- the on whether to flip the face while stretching. Thanks for the link, I will give it a shot tonight!

Dear Nbickett, while the method demonstrated in the youtube video seems easy and effortless, it does take some practice and patience to master it. However you may have already reached that level of mastery. I have seen many people who impatiently dismiss the method as useless when it does not yield good results the first time they try it. Good day!  
Recipes make pizzas no more than sermons make saints!

http://pizzanapoletanismo.com/2011/09/27/a-philosophy-of-pizza-napoletanismo/

Offline eloise

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2011, 07:33:35 PM »
  ??? I AM SUCH A NOVICE AND I SO ENJOY WATCHING THESE MASTERS AT WORK.  IT MAKES ME STRIVE TO GET BETTER EACH TIME I MAKE PIZZA.  BUT IT CAN BE VERY FRUSTRATING SOMETIMES.

THANK YOU ROBERTO AND PEPPE!!!! :chef:

Offline Alligator

« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2012, 12:27:57 AM »
EatItalian.com had the rare opportunity to document a Neapolitan pizza training class given by Master Pizzaiolo, Roberto Caporuscio of Keste' Pizzeria & Vino in NYC  and Peppe Starita from world famous Pizzeria Starita in Naples, Italy. Learn how to make 'real' Neapolitan dough, fresh mozzarella and techniques handed down from generations.

Watch part 1 of this training series.

http://www.eatitalian.com/feature/67044/neapolitan-pizza-making-masters

I know i'm late to the party, but the videos are still up. :)

Good stuff very interesting to watch.  Thank you!

Offline nkozak

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Excellent videos! Thank you for this.
Nick

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
I've never seen anyone make the dough balls before tearing them off before... interesting. but what happens if they need to add/remove some dough to make it the proper weight?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2012, 11:00:40 PM »
I've never seen anyone make the dough balls before tearing them off before... interesting. but what happens if they need to add/remove some dough to make it the proper weight?
They don't.

They have been doing it for so long they know how much they need, it's not exact every time but they are usually within a couple grams of each other. Pasquale Makishima has a video dementrating this balling technique and he weighs each one after and they are all close to each other in weight and some the exact same. This technique is used for speed. Some places in Naples are making hundreds and some close to a thousand pizzas a day. If they had to cut, weigh, add, subtract each dough ball they would be balling all day.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2012, 11:37:10 AM »
They don't.

They have been doing it for so long they know how much they need, it's not exact every time but they are usually within a couple grams of each other. Pasquale Makishima has a video dementrating this balling technique and he weighs each one after and they are all close to each other in weight and some the exact same. This technique is used for speed. Some places in Naples are making hundreds and some close to a thousand pizzas a day. If they had to cut, weigh, add, subtract each dough ball they would be balling all day.

hard core!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

pizzapan