Author Topic: Are any Forum Members In the Wholesale Dough Making Business?  (Read 2283 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

I've often thought about starting a dough production business, making and providing dough balls to pizzerias. I know many chains are provided by headquarters, but I often wonder if the smaller mom and pops would be interested in having someone provide them their dough. Would like feedback from people who know.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Are any Forum Members In the Wholesale Dough Making Business?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
Dave,

I remember a friend of mine in Massachusetts telling me about such a company near where he lives. So I called him this afternoon and asked him if he remembered the name of the company. He told me and I did a Google search and found their website at http://www.thedoughboysonline.com/index.html. I am sure that there are many other companies, both big and small, that do the same thing.

Peter

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:46:21 PM »
Thanks Pete, I'll have to investigate a little, I have some friends over in Massachusetts. Seems like it might be a good way to be in the pizza business without having to deal with all the intricacies of the restaurant business.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
In Baltimore we have Nino's Fresh Pizza Dough (Nino's Inc) and Alsham Inc.

On two separate occasions I have gotten up early in the morning, staked out Nino's and then followed a truck around for a few hours.

The pizzerias employing these products are mostly comprised of conveyor and gas deck pizzerias cooking pizzas at lower temperatures and utilizing moderate to poor quality ingredients (I have visited nearly all of the places the trucks went to).

I have to believe that pizzerias looking to cut corners or save time by purchasing dough are likely not interested in a quality product....more of a quantity focus. DMC, while a market for a better pre-made dough may exist and certainly is worth looking into, I would also speculate that many operators interested in a better quality pizza are going to be intent on making their own dough.
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline patdakat345

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:05:01 AM »
Hello, dmcavanaugh. I notice that your in Glenmont, NY. My brother had a restaurant called the Chez Rene' across from Capitol Volkswagon.
As to the wholesale dough making business. You may have heard of Futia's Famous Pizza Dough in Schenectady (Rotterdam Industrial Park).
They sell over a million pounds of dough to Hanaford every year. Who else they sell to? I don't know.
They were a formerly a pizzeria and started making pizza dough.
They were formerly renting space in the Industrial Development building on Albany Street in Schenectady. They outgrew the space and went to the
Industrial Park in Rotterdam.
If there is room in the marketplace, it could be a profitable idea.
Good luck, pat

Offline PizzaPolice

• Supporting Member
  • WFO-Where Art & Physics meet - Heat is the Arbiter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:30 AM »
On two separate occasions I have gotten up early in the morning, staked out Nino's and then followed a truck around for a few hours.

Dude, you are killing me!  I guess that is why you are THE pizzablogger.

To me, the dough is the soul of the whole process.  It's very personal and it is what makes it MY pizza.
There are times when I wished I could buy dough formulated for a WFO.  I've had to turn down gigs because the dough couldn't be made in time.  My poor DLX runs at full capacity @ approximately 14 lbs.  Usually I make four batches so the time element is considerable.  In essence, I need a bigger mixer or a dough fairy.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:42 PM »
Thanks for all the input from everyone, I know there's a market out there, just not sure if I want to take the plunge. I'm thinking of a retirement business that I would enjoy, more or less a hobby rather than a job.Wasn't aware that there's a place doing it in my own backyard, but do know that there's a big operation out in the Utica, NY area.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »
pm me i know a person in ohio that sells to a lot of pizzerias, he even does a caputo based ball.

Offline dragas

Offline aawshads

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
You would be up to stiff competition.  I am in R&D for a pizza company, and there are literally hundreds of premix or pre made dough products out there.  every food vendor is going to carry some of them or be able to get them in.  Good luck

Offline olsonmatt

• Pie Oh My
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 12:45:20 AM »
Late here, but DM, I've thought about this  too.  It seems like one good way to get in on the small side is to sell at farmers markets and gourmet shops like this woman did: http://pizzatonight.com/blog/.

pizzapan