Author Topic: American Style: How much sauce?  (Read 1098 times)

Offline ScottTX

American Style: How much sauce?
« on: July 27, 2011, 02:51:24 AM »
I've got a 16", 0.13 thickness factor skin doing the long, cold ferment thing in the fridge right now, and I was wondering if anybody had some guidance on how much sauce would be appropriate.

I got burned on my last 0.10 TF 'ny style' pizza using basically this same dough, the center was a little soggy and gross because I sauced too heavily (by eye) and it pooled in the middle during baking.

Thanks!

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: American Style: How much sauce?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
I've got a 16", 0.13 thickness factor skin doing the long, cold ferment thing in the fridge right now, and I was wondering if anybody had some guidance on how much sauce would be appropriate.

I got burned on my last 0.10 TF 'ny style' pizza using basically this same dough, the center was a little soggy and gross because I sauced too heavily (by eye) and it pooled in the middle during baking.

Thanks!

ScottTX,

I posted a picture of the Burkeís portion guide for light, medium, or heavy toppings at Reply 4 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14822.msg147190.html#msg147190 I donít if that will help you are not.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline ScottTX

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 02:19:02 AM »
Thanks Norma!

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 02:51:46 AM »
most places use 5oz of sauce for 14" pizzas that are commercial operations,  most mom and pop places seem to use a wider spread of 4-6oz, at least around here.  imho, the amount of sauce is more dependent on sauce strength and thickness, style of pizza, and overall thickness of sauce, more then a 'size vs oz' measurement
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 09:16:13 AM »
Here's another option to using sauce. Use thin slices of fresh tomato rather than "sauce". Slice a ripe tomato (any garden variety works well) into approximately 3/16-inch thick slices and arrange as you would sauce, except, you don't need to go for 100% coverage as you would a sauce, just arrange around the edge, keeping an exposed dough edge of about 1/2-inch, then fill in to the center, don't worry about the gaps between the round slices. This makes for a wonderful flavor as well as presentation.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:07 AM »
most places use 5oz of sauce for 14" pizzas that are commercial operations,  most mom and pop places seem to use a wider spread of 4-6oz, at least around here. 

c0mpl3x,

Are the sauce amounts by volume or by weight?

Peter

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:18:10 AM »
c0mpl3x,

Are the sauce amounts by volume or by weight?

Peter

volume.
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.

pizzapan