Author Topic: going from greek style pizza to ny style pizza  (Read 571 times)

Offline Kostakis1985

going from greek style pizza to ny style pizza
« on: July 27, 2011, 12:11:14 PM »
My brother and I are looking to start our own pizza store because its what we love to do. However we want to make pizza like ny style or neo neapolitan style, but the pizza shops where we learned to "open" pizzas were streched in a pan and baked eithe in a conveyor oven or deck oven. We want to use only a deck oven and use only hand strecthing techniques. is there any good ways to practice hand strecthing pizza dough we want to be great at it. I just want the most efficent way to do it so when our shop is busy I can keep up. thanks!
Jamie

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: going from greek style pizza to ny style pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 12:30:17 PM »
My brother and I are looking to start our own pizza store because its what we love to do. However we want to make pizza like ny style or neo neapolitan style, but the pizza shops where we learned to "open" pizzas were streched in a pan and baked eithe in a conveyor oven or deck oven. We want to use only a deck oven and use only hand strecthing techniques. is there any good ways to practice hand strecthing pizza dough we want to be great at it. I just want the most efficent way to do it so when our shop is busy I can keep up. thanks!

Kostakis1985,

Maybe you find this video helpful in learning to stretch NY style pizza dough. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Kostakis1985

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:00 PM »
Thanks Norma working on a stainless steel counter like he suggested in the video made it about 100 times easier then how i was doing it working on a wood table!
Jamie

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »
Kostakis1985, mastering stretching is probably one of the most difficult areas for the aspiring NY style pizza maker. I've spent many hours pondering the best methods for training, and, I have to admit, there aren't any workarounds that make the process faster or easier.

The only aid that I've been able to think of is to make relatively small dough balls (maybe 14" size) and keep stretching them as far as you possibly can.  The final product probably won't be bake-able, but the extremely thin stretch will give you a considerable amount of time with the dough and it will give you an excellent idea of how far you can take it before it begins to tear. Generally speaking, if you can stretch a dough that's meant for 14" to something extreme like 24", then, when the time comes for your regular 16" pies, then you should have no problem.

Great NY or Neo Neapolitan style pizza demands a great oven.  Have you picked out an oven yet?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
Something to be aware of:
We offer a pizza class every year in October, here in Manhattan, Kansas. It is designed for both experienced and soon to be pizzeria operators. In the class we teach everything from the technology of the different ingredients, to how to make dough, sauce, and assemble pizzas, including all of the various dough shaping procedures. This is a fun filled week long class with both classroom and hands-on instruction. You can get more information on the class by contacting Jeff Zeak at <jzeak@aibonline.org> and requesting information on the Practical Pizza Production Course.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
Thanks Norma working on a stainless steel counter like he suggested in the video made it about 100 times easier then how i was doing it working on a wood table!

Kostakis1985,

I have opened dough balls on a stainless steel table, my home wood kitchen table, and my marble slab at market.  Really after you learn the basics of opening a dough ball, at least for me, it doesn't make any difference what I am opening the dough on.  I don't use the semolina and flour mixture, but just flour my bench a little and dip both sides of the dough in a container with flour in, trying not to get a lot of flour on the dough ball.  Even the hydration of dough you make can make a difference in how a a dough will open.  I have made doughs that are much different in opening, based only on hydration.  You just need to practice.  I took some videos a long while ago of me opening dough balls and they really aren't that good, but If you want to see them, I will post them.  

I am sure, after a little while, you will be able to open dough balls easily.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!