Author Topic: Hydration revelation  (Read 149 times)

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Hydration revelation
« on: Yesterday at 09:12:51 PM »
Over the last year or so I have gone from 58% hydration + 1.5% oil (with All Trumps) to 64% hydration + 0% oil, I think (with Superlative flour) and back down to 56% hydration + 1.5% oil (with Superlative). I have found that the lower hydration dough makes better pizzas, which are infinitely more like every pizza I've ever eaten in New York.

Thanks to the lower hydration dough I used a few days ago, I now realize I've been pretty much in the dark for the last year with NY style. I may go as high as 58% again someday, but I will never go higher than that because it simply does not create pizza that resembles pizza I've eaten in New York or New Jersey. Rather, it creates pizza bread, which is not as good as pizza pizza.

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Re: Hydration revelation
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:48:10 PM »
Ryan,

Do you think home ovens vs pizza ovens has to do with this?  Do u have any pics to share?

Nate
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #2 on: Today at 12:16:59 AM »
Ryan, glad you found the key for the pie you want to make. ;D  NEVER is a long time! Can you imagine a day when you want to make a different style of pie. Say, as a challenge to yourself, just to see if you can perfect it, not necessarily cause it is your favorite? ???
Will you ever get bored with the same formula? :o

Hmmmmmmm, perhaps not?

Glad you found your key.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:25:49 AM »
Ryan
Glad you've reach hydration nirvana! As was previously asked, what is your baking apparatus and what temp are you using with that hydration?

Mark
I have gotten bored. I'm now on to my third or fourth recipe change in 10 years and moving on to another as soon as my starters ready. Variety is the spice of life as long as it good pizza, right? As seen on this forum, that's completely different for everyone.

P.S. I like butt and brisket  ;D

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #4 on: Today at 11:36:53 AM »
Ryan
Glad you've reach hydration nirvana! As was previously asked, what is your baking apparatus and what temp are you using with that hydration?

Mark
I have gotten bored. I'm now on to my third or fourth recipe change in 10 years and moving on to another as soon as my starters ready. Variety is the spice of life as long as it good pizza, right? As seen on this forum, that's completely different for everyone.

P.S. I like butt and brisket  ;D

I definitely agree about changing the recipe here and there.  Things seem to get old and boring. 
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.