Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 68582 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #540 on: October 17, 2011, 10:41:47 PM »
Norma,

The numbers you quoted for the protein content and the absorption value for the Mondako flour do not square with what is recited for the Mondako flour at page 8 of the Pendleton booklet at http://www.pfmills.com/filebin/pdf/technical_informational_booklet_v1-opt.pdf. Is it possible that they are sending you the pizza mix that is sold under the Mondako name? Or possibly something else?

Peter

Peter,

I didnít have that pdf. document up on my computer today when I spoke with Alex.  I did have a tablet handy, and that is what Alex told me about the Mondako flour.  I wasnít even concerned about the Mondako flour, because I have been talking to Alex about the Power flour.  When Alex said he sent me a sample of Mondako on Friday and to expect it soon, I wondered why he would be sending me a sample of the Mondako flour.  That is why I told Alex I had wanted to try the Power flour.  I will wait and see if Alex even sends me any flour, then I will call him again.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #541 on: October 20, 2011, 01:00:30 AM »
PE101,

Got the new scale in.

It's a AWS-100 and comes with a 10 year warranty. Measures in grams, ounces, carats and grains, up to a 1/100th of a gram.

Just to keep you posted...

Mike, I just ordered this scale.  Should be in by end of next week maybe.  Can't wait to get it.  No more winging it!  Thanks Mike for the tip on this scale.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #542 on: October 26, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
I was surprised a little while ago when the FexEx man came to my door to give me a delivery.  Alex did send me a bag of Mondako bleached and enriched flour. and also a bag of Power flour enriched and unbleached in the same box.  Alex also sent me 3 dough scrapers and a Pendleton Pen. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #543 on: October 26, 2011, 01:54:22 PM »
Norma

scott123

« Reply #544 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:10 PM »
That's great, Norma, that you were finally able to get your hands on some Pendleton flour. From the Power Flour results in this thread and Gene's experimentation with the Mondako, I think you'll be pleased.

Those dough scrapers are a great acquisition. I've been looking for those locally to no avail and, online, they're about 5 bucks (including shipping) and I just can't pay $5 for something that should cost about 50 cents.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #545 on: October 26, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Scott,I found some plastic dough scrapers in a Dollar store of some kind.It works very well.If that doesn't do it,get some auto body filler-scrapers from the Body shop supply store,or an good Parts store.They sell large ones as well.Very durable stuff.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 04:01:23 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

scott123

« Reply #546 on: October 26, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »
Bill, do the dollar store scrapers have the same curved edge?

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #547 on: October 26, 2011, 04:52:41 PM »
Scott,

I am not 100% sure what you are referring to.But to explain this cheap one I have somewhat,the scraper has a back side and a front.The back side is completely flat.The front has a knife-like edge going all the way around the scraper body to help it cut into flour or scrape stuff up.Is this what you mean by curved edge?

If so then yes.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #548 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »
 I looked closer at the photos above and the plastic scraper I have is very similar,just maybe not as thick as the ones norma received.The edges around the scraper are the same as the one I have.I could be wrong about the thickness,they could be the same and Its just hard to say from the photos.
 :)

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #549 on: October 26, 2011, 05:42:16 PM »
That's great, Norma, that you were finally able to get your hands on some Pendleton flour. From the Power Flour results in this thread and Gene's experimentation with the Mondako, I think you'll be pleased.

Those dough scrapers are a great acquisition. I've been looking for those locally to no avail and, online, they're about 5 bucks (including shipping) and I just can't pay $5 for something that should cost about 50 cents.

Scott,

I was happy to receive the flours from Pendleton today.  I will use some of the Power Flour for some Luigiís pies and might try the Power flour in my preferment Lehmann dough to see if it makes any difference.  Do you have any suggestions for the Mondako flour?  I have been following Geneís experiments with Mondako flour.

If you have been looking for one of these kind of dough scrapers, and want one of the dough scrapers, just PM me your address, I will send you one.  I only need one for home and one for market.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #550 on: October 26, 2011, 05:54:57 PM »
Norma, looking forward to hearing about your results.

Just got my gram scale but won't get to use it now because all in the name of pizza making I almost broke my pinky on my left hand.  I have mallet finger now.  It is a breakaway of the tendon from the bone.  I can use my other fingers but it is a severe hindrance.  In a finger splint.  Maybe 6 weeks to heal.  Hard to type. Can't use pinky, slow to type.  I was picking up a 50 lb pound bag of flour, it slipped and bam my finger was pushed violently down by it and my finger is stuck down and can't move until it is healed.  Can't wait to try my scale when I am better.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_finger

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #551 on: October 26, 2011, 06:10:11 PM »
Norma, looking forward to hearing about your results.

Just got my gram scale but won't get to use it now because all in the name of pizza making I almost broke my pinky on my left hand.  I have mallet finger now.  It is a breakaway of the tendon from the bone.  I can use my other fingers but it is a severe hindrance.  In a finger splint.  Maybe 6 weeks to heal.  Hard to type. Can't use pinky, slow to type.  I was picking up a 50 lb pound bag of flour, it slipped and bam my finger was pushed violently down by it and my finger is stuck down and can't move until it is healed.  Can't wait to try my scale when I am better.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallet_finger

James,

Thanks for saying you are looking forward to my results.  I am not sure what formula Peter set-forth I will try first with the Power flour.

Sorry to hear in the name of pizza making you now have mallet finger.  :( I never even hear of that before.  Pizza making can be dangerous in many ways.  Lifting 50 lb. bags of flour isnít easy.  They are so flimsy and different times I almost dropped a 50 lb. bag of flour.  Last week and this week I burnt my arm and now hand on my deck oven.  Those darn ovens sure are hot.  Things happen quickly, even if you think you are careful.  Hope your pinky recovers quickly and you can use your new scales.  :)

Norma

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #552 on: October 26, 2011, 07:17:16 PM »
James,
Don't worry about writing me back a reply to my last email.It must be very hard to type.Im sorry you hurt your finger and hope you recover well soon!

Take care!!!

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #553 on: October 26, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
Norma,
Do be careful too! Hope your burns are ok now!

Look forward to your progress with your new flours!
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »
Norma,
Do be careful too! Hope your burns are ok now!

Look forward to your progress with your new flours!

Bill,

I do dumb stuff all the time, but I am a "tough old bird"!   :-D  My burns only hurt for a few minutes.  They are fine now.

Thanks for saying you look forward to my progress with the new flours.  I will try a Luigi's pizza either this coming week or the following week, with the Power flour.

Norma

scott123

« Reply #555 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:35 PM »
Do you have any suggestions for the Mondako flour?

Norma, you're actually the only member, at this present time, to have the Mondako and the Power Flour.  I don't think the results are going to be record breaking, but I'd like to see someone work with a 50/50 Mondako/Power blend. For the Mondako/Power blend, I'd shoot for 61% hydration for a crispier crust and 63% for a softer one, and, for the Mondako on it's own, 59% for crispy and 61% for softer.

And, thanks for the offer of the dough scraper, but I'm going to take Bill's advice and start looking at dollar stores. Thanks, though.

James, my sympathies regarding the finger.  I've jammed fingers playing basketball, but that's no where near what you're going through. Get well soon.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #556 on: October 26, 2011, 11:38:41 PM »
Norma, you're actually the only member, at this present time, to have the Mondako and the Power Flour.  I don't think the results are going to be record breaking, but I'd like to see someone work with a 50/50 Mondako/Power blend. For the Mondako/Power blend, I'd shoot for 61% hydration for a crispier crust and 63% for a softer one, and, for the Mondako on it's own, 59% for crispy and 61% for softer.

And, thanks for the offer of the dough scraper, but I'm going to take Bill's advice and start looking at dollar stores. Thanks, though.

Scott,

I will see if I can fit a Mondako and Power flour blend of 50/50 experiment for this coming week. 

My dough scraper I have at home was on .99 at the Webstaurant Store near me.  It looks about the same as the dough scrapers I was sent.  I don't know if you have a Webstaurant store near you or not. http://www.webstaurantstore.com/

Norma

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #557 on: October 27, 2011, 12:00:13 AM »
Scott and others,

I wanted to let you know I ordered some pizza making supplies from a company,and I also ordered a metal blade dough scraper for under 2 bucks from them.

Its is so sturdy and strong,cuts dough with ease and scrapes flour away better than the plastic dough blades I found in the dollar stores.

When I ordered this blade,I also ordered some pizza screens,some large metal pizza serving pans with it.When I got the box,the dough blade had become loose,and nicked/scratched the heck out of one of my round serving pans during shipment.I took pictures,emailed the company,and they sent me another one right away,no charge.

They were so nice to send me another 16 inch metal pizza serving pan at no cost to me,nor did they want the old one back.Here is the link to the metal dough scraper I bought from them.

http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/blstsc.html
-Bill

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #558 on: October 27, 2011, 12:22:16 AM »
Thanks for that link..  They seem to have a great selection of pizza stuff.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #559 on: October 27, 2011, 12:28:32 AM »
Mike, I just ordered this scale.  Should be in by end of next week maybe.  Can't wait to get it.  No more winging it!  Thanks Mike for the tip on this scale.

PE101,

You'll love it. It measures down to 0.1 grams and I'm glad I got it.

Sorry about your finger, man, and wish you a speedy recovery! I had that happen to me and it's no fun.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan