Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 65203 times)

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #560 on: October 27, 2011, 12:32:19 AM »
Norma, you're actually the only member, at this present time, to have the Mondako and the Power Flour.  I don't think the results are going to be record breaking, but I'd like to see someone work with a 50/50 Mondako/Power blend. For the Mondako/Power blend, I'd shoot for 61% hydration for a crispier crust and 63% for a softer one, and, for the Mondako on it's own, 59% for crispy and 61% for softer.

And, thanks for the offer of the dough scraper, but I'm going to take Bill's advice and start looking at dollar stores. Thanks, though.

James, my sympathies regarding the finger.  I've jammed fingers playing basketball, but that's no where near what you're going through. Get well soon.

Scotty,

For what it's worth...my pizza guy thinks that the Mondako is just an average flour compared to the Power flour. He's tried both and in his opinion the PPF trumps most of the professional pizza flours out there.

With that said, I never used the Mondako so I can't really post any opinion on it except relaying to the board what my guy said. I hope Norma will prove us all wrong and come out with guns blazing for both flours.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #561 on: October 27, 2011, 12:34:41 AM »
I was surprised a little while ago when the FexEx man came to my door to give me a delivery.  Alex did send me a bag of Mondako bleached and enriched flour. and also a bag of Power flour enriched and unbleached in the same box.  Alex also sent me 3 dough scrapers and a Pendleton Pen. 

Norma

Norma,

Those are excellent news. You going to like the PPF...the Mondako, I don't know about. But hopefully both flours will be a winner.

When I ordered some flours from Guisto's, the mill in SF, I got exactly the same things...a dough scraper and a pen.  :)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Online scott123

« Reply #562 on: October 27, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
Mike, the Power flour is one of the best unbromated flours I've ever seen, but I've always felt that as you increase the protein, you also increase the potential for tough crusts when cooled.  At least, you do with 14% flours. 13.5% still seems a bit high to me, so I'd like to see what can be achieved with a blend.

Have you witnessed any toughness with the Power flour?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #563 on: October 27, 2011, 01:26:40 AM »

Have you witnessed any toughness with the Power flour?

Not yet. At least not with a hot crust. I can't comment on a cold crust, or pizza, since I'm not really a huge fan of those. It does provide a nice chew and crunch, though, but not the delicate and balanced crust All Trumps provided when I tried it. I also try not to over-mix/knead a high-protein flour such as the PPF. Five, maybe seven minutes, at the most depending on the hydration.

Bromated flour is regulated here in Cali and if a pizzeria chooses to use it, they'd have to make it public by posting a visible note saying their flour is, in fact, bromated. At least that's the last thing I have heard on that law.

Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #564 on: October 27, 2011, 07:46:10 AM »
Scott and others,

I wanted to let you know I ordered some pizza making supplies from a company,and I also ordered a metal blade dough scraper for under 2 bucks from them.

Its is so sturdy and strong,cuts dough with ease and scrapes flour away better than the plastic dough blades I found in the dollar stores.

When I ordered this blade,I also ordered some pizza screens,some large metal pizza serving pans with it.When I got the box,the dough blade had become loose,and nicked/scratched the heck out of one of my round serving pans during shipment.I took pictures,emailed the company,and they sent me another one right away,no charge.

They were so nice to send me another 16 inch metal pizza serving pan at no cost to me,nor did they want the old one back.Here is the link to the metal dough scraper I bought from them.

http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/blstsc.html

Bill,

Thanks for that link too!  :) In addition to their good prices on pizza equipment, they also sell blue steel pans.

Norma  

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #565 on: October 27, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »
Norma,

Those are excellent news. You going to like the PPF...the Mondako, I don't know about. But hopefully both flours will be a winner.

When I ordered some flours from Guisto's, the mill in SF, I got exactly the same things...a dough scraper and a pen.  :)

Mike,

Thanks for saying it was good news that I received the Power Flour.  I donít know about the Mondako flour either, but Alex told me that more pizza operators use the Mondako flour, than the Power Flour.  I wouldnít know why the Mondako flour would be better. 

Good to hear you also got a dough scraper and pen when you purchased the Power flour.  :)

I wanted to ask you or someone else a question.  When you used the formulas Peter set-forth at Reply 177 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg151870.html#msg151870 how did you know what way to scale them down since the formulas were for different size bags of Power flour?  I donít think I really understand how to scale them down.  Wouldnít there really be different amounts of ingredients in the formula, for different size bags. I think I am really confused on that.  ???  :-D

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #566 on: October 27, 2011, 12:29:44 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for saying it was good news that I received the Power Flour.  I donít know about the Mondako flour either, but Alex told me that more pizza operators use the Mondako flour, than the Power Flour.  I wouldnít know why the Mondako flour would be better. 

Good to hear you also got a dough scraper and pen when you purchased the Power flour.  :)

I wanted to ask you or someone else a question.  When you used the formulas Peter set-forth at Reply 177 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg151870.html#msg151870 how did you know what way to scale them down since the formulas were for different size bags of Power flour?  I donít think I really understand how to scale them down.  Wouldnít there really be different amounts of ingredients in the formula, for different size bags. I think I am really confused on that.  ???  :-D

Norma

Norma,

To scale them down I used the Dough calculator and the Thickness factor of 0.075 for a NY-style pizza and then the percentages Peter's given us. But you also might have to deal with a different approach regarding the fermentation times since all Luigi clones have different amounts of yeast, salt, etc. But adjusting them shouldn't be a problem for you.
Mike

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #567 on: October 27, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »
Norma,

To scale them down I used the Dough calculator and the Thickness factor of 0.075 for a NY-style pizza and then the percentages Peter's given us. But you also might have to deal with a different approach regarding the fermentation times since all Luigi clones have different amounts of yeast, salt, etc. But adjusting them shouldn't be a problem for you.

Mike,

Thanks again for reminding me all I had to do was use the percentages Peter gave us.  I don't know what I was thinking.  I guess I must have just thought about using ADY or IDY.  I will probably go with the first formula I tried, to see if there is any difference in the taste of the crust, with using the Power Flour.  That Luigi's attempt wasn't the best in the taste of the crust.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #568 on: October 30, 2011, 11:54:58 AM »
I mixed a Luigiís clone attempt this morning with the Power Flour.  The Power Flour didnít seem to have any problems with a higher hydration.  The only thing I changed in the formula, was I lowered the amount of ADY for a 2 days cold ferment.  This is the formula I used and also how the dough balled looked.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #569 on: October 30, 2011, 11:55:49 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #570 on: October 31, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
This is how my Luigi's dough ball looked this morning.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #571 on: October 31, 2011, 10:09:41 AM »
Thanks everyone for the well wishes.  Even tho it's hard to type now I will post now and then.  See, my right hand is fine, I can type fast with it but my left hand with the pinky essentially broken it hinders that hand which throws off the rhythm of my right hand when I type which throws off the left even more so I make many typos that I have to correct. So far I made like 5 typos that I correct.  

Norma, I never heard of mallet finger also until I got it.  It's new to me.  The dough you made looks great.  Can't wait to see the results as a baked pie.

Bill, thanks for the private message on your quest for Grande cheese.  I'm gonna reply in a couple of days.  

Scott, how long did it take you to recover from your jammed finger?  What actions did you take to recover and is your finger working as before or do you have some residual issues from the jam?

Mike same question for you. Your mallet finger, how long did it take to recover and what actions did you take and is yours a full recovery?

Sadly not only do I enjoy making pizza but I play guitar.  Guitar is out of the question until I'm well but pizza I may attempt making pizza later this week maybe.  For now I'm hungry for pizza and will go out and buy some.

I'll post now and then even tho my finger is hindering me but won't post much.  Will lurke more than anything. 

Thanks much everyone!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:15:12 AM by PizzaEater101 »

Online scott123

« Reply #572 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:51 AM »
Scott, how long did it take you to recover from your jammed finger?  What actions did you take to recover and is your finger working as before or do you have some residual issues from the jam?

I just thought about the last time I played basketball and am embarrassed to say that it was at least 15 years ago.  I'm not really recalling all the details- just that the worst jam was excruciatingly painful and that it hurt for a day or two.  No residual issues. I've also had other gentle finger jams that hurt for a few seconds and then went away.

Btw, have you looked into voice recognition software?  I've played around with Dragon Naturally Speaking and thought it did a pretty good job after just a little training.  Windows Vista and 7 are also supposed to have voice recognition capabilities.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:17:12 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #573 on: November 01, 2011, 10:35:22 PM »
The attempt for a Luigiís pizza went okay today, but there could have been a little more color on the bottom crust.  The Luigiís pie did have a good taste in the crust.  The Luigiís attempt did seem like a NY style pie to Steve, my taste testers, and me. This is a video of Steve cutting the Luigiís attempt. 
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmDYGRS7ys" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxmDYGRS7ys</a>

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #574 on: November 01, 2011, 10:36:16 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: November 01, 2011, 10:37:17 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #576 on: November 01, 2011, 10:38:12 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #577 on: November 01, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »
Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #578 on: November 01, 2011, 11:06:49 PM »
Norma,

Can you describe the dough management you used for the Luigi's clone pizza? And did you rehydrate the ADY in a portion of the total formula water? And what was the bake temperature and time?

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #579 on: November 01, 2011, 11:25:15 PM »
Norma,

Can you describe the dough management you used for the Luigi's clone pizza? And did you rehydrate the ADY in a portion of the total formula water? And what was the bake temperature and time?

Peter

Peter,

The dough management I used for this Luigiís attempt was the dough was mixed on Sunday for Tuesday. (I know Luigiís dough is supposed to be only fermented for one day, but from my other attempt, I didnít think there was any flavor in the crust, so that is why I did a two day cold ferment.)  My final dough temperature was 76.2 degrees F.  The dough was balled and went right into the refrigerator after the dough was balled.  The dough was left to warm up at about 72 degrees F for 1 Ĺ hrs.  The dough ball did have a bubble on the top of the dough ball even before I left it warm-up, but the bubble got bigger while it was warming up.  I did rehydrate the ADY in a portion of the total formula water.  The bake temperature was about 525 degrees F for about 5 minutes.

Norma

pizzapan