Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 82551 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #625 on: November 13, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
James,

Good to hear you sauce and pizzas turned out good!  :) Glad to hear you could also work with your bad finger. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #626 on: November 13, 2011, 12:18:40 PM »

Got my 25# bag of Power Flour last night!

Scott,

Best of luck with your Luigi's clone!  :)  Good to hear you were able to get some Power Flour.

Norma

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #627 on: November 13, 2011, 01:02:52 PM »
Got my 25# bag of Power Flour last night!

The attached picture is of the below recipe with the sugar at 2% and the ball of the left at 63% hydration and the one on the right a 65%. Neither were sticky at the least and least almost 0% bowl residual. I will be baking tomorrow after a 24 hours cold ferment
It is amazing that is flour can adsorb 65% so easily without being sticky and slack. It is like it is begging for more water.

Question: I used IDY, instead of ADY and reduced the amount by 25%, does that sound about right?

Scott,

I'm glad to see you do the side by side experiments with the 63% and 65% hydration values. Like scott123, I wondered whether Luigi might be using a hydration value below 65% even though the Power flour has a higher than average rated absorption value.

Your adjustment for using IDY is correct. The adjustment should be by weight (or baker's percent), not volume.

If you get good results with your experiment, it should be easy to adjust the dough formulation you started out with to reflect the actual amounts of ingredients you are using for your experiments.

Peter

Offline scottserena

« Reply #628 on: November 13, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
So today I baked both my 63% and 65% hydration clone. with the sugar uped to 2%

I started with the 63% at 550 degrees.  This is what happen after 6 minutes.

I figured that 550 was too high and lowered the temperature to 525 for the rest of the pies.

Taste was good. But I wasnt going for a nearly neo pie.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:42:39 PM by scottserena »

Offline scottserena

« Reply #629 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »
so next was the 65% baked at 525

Better but not exactly what I was looking for. I am baking 12" pies, as that is the biggest my stone can handle.
But I think I need to increase the TF. I am using a TF of 0.070736. I think it need to be a touch thicker.

Everyone thought this one was pretty good. But I would like the crust to be a little crisper.

Offline scottserena

« Reply #630 on: November 13, 2011, 09:27:16 PM »
next was a tomato pizza like they make at Luigi's.  This was the 63% dough

Flavor of the tomato's were excellent, but they were too watery and made the bottom crust to mushy.

I always have to make a few cheeseless for my lactose intolerant wife!

« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:42:07 PM by scottserena »

Offline scottserena

« Reply #631 on: November 13, 2011, 09:31:19 PM »
Same one as above, but the 65% dough. Again very watery. This time the color of the crust was very grey, I am not sure why.

All of the pies at about a 6 to 7 minute bake. Maybe lower the oven temp even more? 500 degrees?

So I am not sure where to go for here. The 65% baked at 525 was good, but I would like it crisper.

I am thinking about making a 63% with the original sugar amount, not the sugar increased to 2%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Scott
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:41:46 PM by scottserena »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #632 on: November 13, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
Scott,

How did your dough ball look after the cold ferment, and how did the dough handle when you opened up the dough ball?  Did it stretch well?  Also what oven rack position did you have your pizza stone on? 

Norma

Offline scottserena

« Reply #633 on: November 13, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
This is the 65% dough after 24 hours. I let it sit at room temp for 2 hours before the bake.

It handled ok, it was very elastic and did not want to open to the 12" size very easily.

But then again opening dough is a not a strong suit of mine.

My oven has a stone setting that turns on the top and bottom elements and the convection fans. I think I may have had it to close to the top broiler element.

After some more feedback I will lower the rack and try it again. 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #634 on: November 14, 2011, 06:49:24 AM »
This is the 65% dough after 24 hours. I let it sit at room temp for 2 hours before the bake.

It handled ok, it was very elastic and did not want to open to the 12" size very easily.

But then again opening dough is a not a strong suit of mine.

My oven has a stone setting that turns on the top and bottom elements and the convection fans. I think I may have had it to close to the top broiler element.

After some more feedback I will lower the rack and try it again. 

Scott,

Thanks for posting the picture of your dough balls.  It is hard to diagnose what the problems are with your dough, or your oven from behind a computer keyboard.  Your dough balls really shouldnít have been elastic, after a 24 hr. cold ferment and a 2 hr. warm-up.  If you need a video to watch on how to open dough balls, other members or I could provide a video for you. You may be right about the pizzas, and they might have been too close to the broiler element.  It is good if your oven can have both the top and bottom elements on at the same time.  I donít know about the convection fans though.  Maybe someone that is more experienced in oven set-ups can help you to achieve better results with you oven.  It might take some trails and errors in knowing what the best set-up for you oven is.

So far my experiences with Luigiís clone doughs are they are easy to open from dough balls.  I have been baking my attempts in a deck oven, so my results would be different than yours.

Norma

Offline scottserena

« Reply #635 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:35 AM »
Thanks Norma for your help.

I am  going to try again and lower shelf and maybe turn off the convection

I think I am going to leave the sugar at 2% though. 

Sure if you have some videos to make me a better dough ball opener upper that would be great.

I wonder why they were elastic and yours were not?

buceriasdon

« Reply #636 on: November 14, 2011, 08:02:51 AM »
Scott, Looking at your photos I would think you need to decrease your thickness factor, not increase it. I frequently make tomato pies and find it worthwhile to let the tomato slices drain on paper towels slightly before topping with them.
Don

Offline scottserena

« Reply #637 on: November 14, 2011, 09:15:45 AM »
Excellent idea on draing the tomatoes on paper towels first.  Flavor wise this was a favorite, but to way too watery.

I think I am going to keep the tf the same, and stretch the dough out better

I think this is close and with a little tweaking it will be right.

Thanks Don

Offline scottserena

« Reply #638 on: November 14, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Norma,

I friend of mine has a deck oven I can try and a professional Hobart mixer. Once I feel I have the dough close to the results I want I will go to his resturant and try it there.

What temperature were you doing your bake at?

I might try even lower the a 63% hydration. I am thinking in the range of 60%

Thanks for all the feedback

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #639 on: November 14, 2011, 09:36:42 AM »
Scott,

There can be a difference between elastic doughs.  Different people use the terms extensibility and elasticity different.  I think the term extensible means the character of the dough is that it allows stretching without springing back, and the term elastic means the character of the dough causes it to spring back.  This also can be called memory.  If you are having problems with your Luigiís dough balls in opening them, they could be something wrong with your mixing process, how the dough ferments, or other things.  There are many variables that can go into each formula.

This video by Tony Gemignani does show the pizza dough fundamentals of opening a pizza dough ball.

If you try another experimental Luigiís dough, try to record the final dough temperature, how long the dough was mixed, (what were the mixing methods, type of mixer, or mixing by hand) how the dough balls looked before and after fermenting, and notes on how you opened the dough balls and how they performed.  They are many variables in the process, so maybe if you keep notes on your whole process either I or someone else can help your better.

It is good after you get your dough okay you can use a friends deck oven and Hobart mixer.  I had my oven about 525 degrees F, but I would have like to have it a little higher, but since I made my other pizzas at about 525 degrees F, I canít just up the temperature of the deck oven for one pie. Each deck oven operates different, and there might be experiments to do in each type of deck oven.  

You can use whatever hydration you feel might be okay. You might stay in the same hydrations you were trying to see what happens first, then go to another hydration if things donít work out well for you.  You said the Power Flour didn't have any problems with mixing with the hydration you were using, if I remember correctly.

Norma
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:38:21 AM by norma427 »

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #640 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
James,

Good to hear you sauce and pizzas turned out good!  :) Glad to hear you could also work with your bad finger. 

Norma

Thanks Norma.  Bad finger and all I just could not stay out of the pizza making game!  Everyone at the pizza party was impressed by my pizza making skills.  Mine was the only pizza that looked like a pizza.  I am not knocking the others it's just I have a lot of experience shaping and making these things and the people there did not.  Thanks to you Norma and everyone else here for helping me understand the art and science of pizza making I am able to make a good pizza.  Not as good as many of the people here but I am still working on building up my skills day by day.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #641 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
This time I sifted the Power Flour since my sample was lumpy.  The Luigiís formula with the 2% sugar was mixed in my Kitchen Aid mixer.  The mix time was about 8 minutes.  I let the dough sit out at the ambient room temperature of 70 degrees F for Ĺ hr. before balling.

Norma

Offline scottserena

« Reply #642 on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »
Mine was a little lumpy too Norma.

I am excited to see your results with the 2% sugar.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Mine was a little lumpy too Norma.

I am excited to see your results with the 2% sugar.

Scott,

You will learn how to mix any dough.  Just stick around on the forum long enough.  I still have failures in new doughs I try.  :-D

I have no idea how successful my attempt will be with the 2% sugar.  Even my deck oven doesn't act the same with different formulas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
The attempt with the Luigiís pizza went better yesterday with the suggestion for 2% sugar added in the formula by Peter.  There was better crust coloration on the rim, and bottom crust, but I am not sure if it still was enough. 

The Luigiís dough ball was left to ferment beside the deck oven for about 4 hrs.  Geneís idea of letting the dough ferment beside the deck oven went well, and the dough ball didnít over ferment or get top bubbles.

The dough ball was very easy to open and could be tossed and twirled easily.  In my opinion, there is great strength in this dough.  The Luigiís pie did turn out good in the flavor of the crust, and also the crispness in the crust and rim.  Steve, my taste testers, and I enjoyed this pie.  There was one thing I didnít understand about this pie though.  I didnít eat a reheated slice, but Randy did, and he said after the slice was reheated the pie became more chewy or was tougher to eat.  Randy said the pie made last week was better after the reheat. 

This is a video of the Luigiís attempt being cut by Steve.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #646 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #647 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #648 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #649 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
Norma

pizzapan