Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 92964 times)

Offline scottserena

Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
Those look and sound awesome!  65% hydration?

I am impressed!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #651 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
The 3 slices on the right are the Luigi's attempt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »
Those look and sound awesome!  65% hydration?

I am impressed!

Scott,

Yes, the formula I used had 65% hydration.  Thanks for the kind comments!  :)

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Norma,

The Luigi clone looks fantastic. Very impressive. How do you like the flour so far?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
Norma,

The Luigi clone looks fantastic. Very impressive. How do you like the flour so far?

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!  :) I still think I could get better rim and bottom crust browning. I do really like the Power Flour so far. The dough seems really strong using the Power Flour.

I think next week I might try KASL with the same formula, and see if I can get anywhere near the same results.

Are you soon making another Luigi's attempt?   

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!  :) I still think I could get better rim and bottom crust browning. I do really like the Power Flour so far. The dough seems really strong using the Power Flour.

I think next week I might try KASL with the same formula, and see if I can get anywhere near the same results.

Are you soon making another Luigi's attempt?   

Norma

Norma,

I had planned to make one this past weekend but didn't get around to it.

I thought the same thing in regards to the browning of the crust. I noticed that the PPF doesn't brown very well in my several attempts of the Luigi clone, even after a little experiment of a three-day fermentation. So I don't know if more sugar is the solution or maybe a bit of oil or if other factors need to be taken into consideration.

However, if Luigi really does only a 24 hr ferment and bakes between 525įF and 550įF then something's amiss like I said before. I can't put my finger on it just yet.  ???
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #656 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
Norma,

I thought the same thing in regards to the browning of the crust. I noticed that the PPF doesn't brown very well in my several attempts of the Luigi clone, even after a little experiment of a three-day fermentation. So I don't know if more sugar is the solution or maybe a bit of oil or if other factors need to be taken into consideration.

However, if Luigi really does only a 24 hr ferment and bakes between 525įF and 550įF then something's amiss like I said before. I can't put my finger on it just yet.  ???

Mike,

It is interesting since you also tried the Power Flour different times, with the formulas Peter set-forth, that you didnít get more browning of the crust either.  I also donít know if more sugar is the solution, or maybe a little oil.  We will never know if Luigi did add oil to the dough. Something could have been omitted in the DDD video.   I really donít know if a higher bake temperature would have helped my pie brown better.  I know you did bake some of your Luigiís pies at a higher temperatures. 

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• In Memoriam
  • Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #657 on: November 17, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »
Norma,
Those pics are fantastic! Making me soooo hungry for more!
 :chef:

I wanted to ask,if you can TASTE a difference in the crust or is it more feel and texture?
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: November 17, 2011, 07:00:40 AM »
Norma,
Those pics are fantastic! Making me soooo hungry for more!
 :chef:

I wanted to ask,if you can TASTE a difference in the crust or is it more feel and texture?
 :)

Bill,

Thanks for saying the pics are good!  To answer your questions about if you can really taste a difference in the taste and texture of the crust, I would venture to say yes.  The formula Peter set-forth for my last attempt did produce a very good taste in the crust and the method of letting the dough ball ferment longer beside the oven I guess helped, but I am not sure if the formula did contribute to the texture or color of the crust.  It is all confusing, but from last weeks attempt to the one I did this week, there was a little different texture in the crust.  I donít know if it was the bake time, the amount of fermentation, the added sugar, or something else.  I hope I did explain enough for you or anyone to understand.  Each little variable can produce something different, at least in my opinion.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #659 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
I am very excited here because I went to Costco Business and they had, yes they had Pendleton Power Flour!  I was there a few months ago and did not see that being sold there.  They had a lot of Conagra but not PPF.   They had a 25 and 50 lb bag.

I did not buy any because I have enough flour for pizza now but when I run out I would like to buy it.  Problem is I don't want to not buy it in case they stop carrying it yet I don't need it now.  Norma and anyone else who has used PPF do you know how long it last?  Maybe a sell by date?  I forgot to look at it.  If I buy a bag and not use it for a few months will it last?

I hope this query at the Costco site works in this link.  You can see all the PPF they have.  Now if any of you mentioned they have it already and I missed that, my apologies because I should have read that since I started this discussion and I have been following it but if I missed, my apologies. 

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BD_827&topnav=bd&search=pendleton&N=0&Ntt=pendleton&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

Thanks much ...

James

scott123

« Reply #660 on: December 30, 2011, 12:12:21 AM »
James, climate tends to dictate flour longevity. Here in NJ, I've had flours last 2 years without any issue, but in your warmer climate, you might see critters sooner. Flour can be frozen, if you've got the space in your freezer.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 01:43:48 AM by scott123 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #661 on: December 30, 2011, 08:29:14 AM »
James,

Scott123 is right, that flour should last for awhile if your area isnít prone to critters.  Freezing flour can be another option like Scott posted.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #662 on: December 30, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »
Scott and Norma, thank you very much for the info on the longevity of PPM.  I am pretty excited about this seeing it at Costco Business of all places.   I gotta buy some and the price is right. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #663 on: December 30, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »
James,

I'm stoked that Costco now carries the PPF. It would mean that many more members here will have access to the flour, if Costco sells it in all locations.

Regarding the longevity, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I store my flours at a temp between 50-60įF ambient, never had any critters in it and it's still as good as the first day.

Get a bag, especially at that price!
Mike

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #664 on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:44 PM »
James,

I'm stoked that Costco now carries the PPF. It would mean that many more members here will have access to the flour, if Costco sells it in all locations.

Regarding the longevity, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I store my flours at a temp between 50-60įF ambient, never had any critters in it and it's still as good as the first day.

Get a bag, especially at that price!

Hi Mike, thanks for the info on the storing of flour. 

I am not sure if all the Costcos carry the PPF because I saw it at their specialty Costco called Costco Business Center.   There are not as many of these and they target more the restaurant owners type of person than the home shopper.  So they have some in certain locations but not a lot.  So not sure if the regular Costco does have the PPF or just the Business Center.

If I recall, you are in San Francisco.  I did a search for one but did not see one there but they have one in Hayward.  Not sure how far from SF that is.  If not too far you might go out there and get a bag if you are a member. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #665 on: December 31, 2011, 07:29:55 PM »
Hi Mike, thanks for the info on the storing of flour. 

I am not sure if all the Costcos carry the PPF because I saw it at their specialty Costco called Costco Business Center.   There are not as many of these and they target more the restaurant owners type of person than the home shopper.  So they have some in certain locations but not a lot.  So not sure if the regular Costco does have the PPF or just the Business Center.

If I recall, you are in San Francisco.  I did a search for one but did not see one there but they have one in Hayward.  Not sure how far from SF that is.  If not too far you might go out there and get a bag if you are a member. 

James,

Thanks for the info. Hayward is about a 30 min drive from where I'm at but depending on traffic it can be an hour. By the time I get there and back I might as well keep getting it from my pizza guy Armando. Saves me a lot of hassle with the traffic.

Thanks for checking, though.
Mike

Offline scottserena

« Reply #666 on: January 31, 2012, 06:48:20 PM »
I have been working on this dough recipe for 3 months now. I have been asked by a buddy of mine that owns four Italian Restaurant here in Orange County California to clone the Luigi's Pizza dough.

After trying many tries I have settled on the following:

Power Flour Unbleached Flour  100%
Crytsal Geyser Water              63%
IDY                                      .4%
Salt                                     2.0%
Sugar                                   2.5%

Water is heated to 95 degrees and the sugar and yeast are added. Flour and salt are placed in the bowl of my KA and the water, yeast, sugar is added and mixed at speed 3 for 10 minutes. Final dough temperature of 82 degrees. Balled and bench rested for 2 hours and then cold fermented for 18 hours

Today we decide to push this to see if we could do any better. We kept everything the same and varied the hydration. We tried the following, 58%, 63%, 65% and 68%

I preferred the 63%,  most everyone else preferred either the 58% or the 63%. No one preferred the 65% and one person really liked the 68% as it had a Neapolitan texture.

We made 18" pizzas and each dough balls weighed 18 oz's (as per the DDD video)

Here is the picture of the 58%

Offline scottserena

« Reply #667 on: January 31, 2012, 06:49:19 PM »
and the 63%

Offline scottserena

« Reply #668 on: January 31, 2012, 06:50:09 PM »
65%

Offline scottserena

« Reply #669 on: January 31, 2012, 06:54:58 PM »
and finally  the 68%

All were baked for roughly 6 minutes at 525 degrees.

We are trying one more bake next week. But this time it will be a blind taste test, no one will know the hydration levels.

We would like a bit more crunch to the crust. I remember Luigi's being a bit more crunchy then what we made here today, but I have only had slices from Luigi's which tend to crisp up a little during the re-heating.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

scott123

« Reply #670 on: January 31, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
Scott, can you recall the differences in tenderness between each version?  How was the level of tenderness/chewiness generally?

There's always going to be outliers, but I think 2.5% sugar is a little high for NY style. Maybe.  I would play around with maybe 2% or possibly even less.

Is 525 as high as your oven will go?  Are you positioning the stone close to the broiler and using the broiler during the bake?  You've got a discernible top/bottom heat ratio issue. The top needs a lot more heat- the bottom about the same, but, you need to decrease the bake time so the bottom doesn't get so black- Luigi's doesn't have anywhere near that amount of color.

Offline scottserena

« Reply #671 on: January 31, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »
I did not like the 65% very much, had no crispness to it at all.

the 68% was soft and pillowy like a Neo Pie.

Both the 58% and 63% were tender and chewy at the crust.  These were by far everyone favorite

These were baked at the restaurants wolf pizza oven. 

Offline scottserena

« Reply #672 on: January 31, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »
Actually everyone felt the bottom char was just about right, but I agree I touch less.

The oven does not seem to have a lot of top heat to it.

Offline scottserena

« Reply #673 on: January 31, 2012, 07:33:06 PM »
here is a pic of a Luigi's pie for reference.

I do not have an upskirt photo of an Luigis pie

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #674 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
Nice work scottserena.  

Okay I'm reviving this thread. Here we go.  There have been nice recreations of the Luigi pizza pie.  Many variations and all nice jobs. Can some one or some ones here summarize which might be some of the best recipes both for dough formulation and for the sauce for this pizza and any other tips?  I appreciate everyone who has given input to the thread I started last summer.  I read through it again but need a summary of the most likely formulas for the dough and the sauce since there are so many great versions here and so many great theories and thoughts on this.

Thank You,

James