Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 65353 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #640 on: November 14, 2011, 09:51:52 AM »
James,

Good to hear you sauce and pizzas turned out good!  :) Glad to hear you could also work with your bad finger. 

Norma

Thanks Norma.  Bad finger and all I just could not stay out of the pizza making game!  Everyone at the pizza party was impressed by my pizza making skills.  Mine was the only pizza that looked like a pizza.  I am not knocking the others it's just I have a lot of experience shaping and making these things and the people there did not.  Thanks to you Norma and everyone else here for helping me understand the art and science of pizza making I am able to make a good pizza.  Not as good as many of the people here but I am still working on building up my skills day by day.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #641 on: November 14, 2011, 10:59:15 AM »
This time I sifted the Power Flour since my sample was lumpy.  The Luigiís formula with the 2% sugar was mixed in my Kitchen Aid mixer.  The mix time was about 8 minutes.  I let the dough sit out at the ambient room temperature of 70 degrees F for Ĺ hr. before balling.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scottserena

« Reply #642 on: November 14, 2011, 05:03:45 PM »
Mine was a little lumpy too Norma.

I am excited to see your results with the 2% sugar.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #643 on: November 14, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Mine was a little lumpy too Norma.

I am excited to see your results with the 2% sugar.

Scott,

You will learn how to mix any dough.  Just stick around on the forum long enough.  I still have failures in new doughs I try.  :-D

I have no idea how successful my attempt will be with the 2% sugar.  Even my deck oven doesn't act the same with different formulas.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #644 on: November 16, 2011, 09:28:28 AM »
The attempt with the Luigiís pizza went better yesterday with the suggestion for 2% sugar added in the formula by Peter.  There was better crust coloration on the rim, and bottom crust, but I am not sure if it still was enough. 

The Luigiís dough ball was left to ferment beside the deck oven for about 4 hrs.  Geneís idea of letting the dough ferment beside the deck oven went well, and the dough ball didnít over ferment or get top bubbles.

The dough ball was very easy to open and could be tossed and twirled easily.  In my opinion, there is great strength in this dough.  The Luigiís pie did turn out good in the flavor of the crust, and also the crispness in the crust and rim.  Steve, my taste testers, and I enjoyed this pie.  There was one thing I didnít understand about this pie though.  I didnít eat a reheated slice, but Randy did, and he said after the slice was reheated the pie became more chewy or was tougher to eat.  Randy said the pie made last week was better after the reheat. 

This is a video of the Luigiís attempt being cut by Steve.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjiLGo4mLM" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyjiLGo4mLM</a>

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #645 on: November 16, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #646 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:30 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #647 on: November 16, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #648 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #649 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
Norma

Offline scottserena

« Reply #650 on: November 16, 2011, 09:34:48 AM »
Those look and sound awesome!  65% hydration?

I am impressed!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #651 on: November 16, 2011, 09:36:38 AM »
The 3 slices on the right are the Luigi's attempt.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #652 on: November 16, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »
Those look and sound awesome!  65% hydration?

I am impressed!

Scott,

Yes, the formula I used had 65% hydration.  Thanks for the kind comments!  :)

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #653 on: November 16, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Norma,

The Luigi clone looks fantastic. Very impressive. How do you like the flour so far?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #654 on: November 16, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
Norma,

The Luigi clone looks fantastic. Very impressive. How do you like the flour so far?

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!  :) I still think I could get better rim and bottom crust browning. I do really like the Power Flour so far. The dough seems really strong using the Power Flour.

I think next week I might try KASL with the same formula, and see if I can get anywhere near the same results.

Are you soon making another Luigi's attempt?   

Norma

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #655 on: November 16, 2011, 04:54:00 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for the kind words!  :) I still think I could get better rim and bottom crust browning. I do really like the Power Flour so far. The dough seems really strong using the Power Flour.

I think next week I might try KASL with the same formula, and see if I can get anywhere near the same results.

Are you soon making another Luigi's attempt?   

Norma

Norma,

I had planned to make one this past weekend but didn't get around to it.

I thought the same thing in regards to the browning of the crust. I noticed that the PPF doesn't brown very well in my several attempts of the Luigi clone, even after a little experiment of a three-day fermentation. So I don't know if more sugar is the solution or maybe a bit of oil or if other factors need to be taken into consideration.

However, if Luigi really does only a 24 hr ferment and bakes between 525įF and 550įF then something's amiss like I said before. I can't put my finger on it just yet.  ???
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #656 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:41 PM »
Norma,

I thought the same thing in regards to the browning of the crust. I noticed that the PPF doesn't brown very well in my several attempts of the Luigi clone, even after a little experiment of a three-day fermentation. So I don't know if more sugar is the solution or maybe a bit of oil or if other factors need to be taken into consideration.

However, if Luigi really does only a 24 hr ferment and bakes between 525įF and 550įF then something's amiss like I said before. I can't put my finger on it just yet.  ???

Mike,

It is interesting since you also tried the Power Flour different times, with the formulas Peter set-forth, that you didnít get more browning of the crust either.  I also donít know if more sugar is the solution, or maybe a little oil.  We will never know if Luigi did add oil to the dough. Something could have been omitted in the DDD video.   I really donít know if a higher bake temperature would have helped my pie brown better.  I know you did bake some of your Luigiís pies at a higher temperatures. 

Norma

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #657 on: November 17, 2011, 12:19:28 AM »
Norma,
Those pics are fantastic! Making me soooo hungry for more!
 :chef:

I wanted to ask,if you can TASTE a difference in the crust or is it more feel and texture?
 :)
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: November 17, 2011, 07:00:40 AM »
Norma,
Those pics are fantastic! Making me soooo hungry for more!
 :chef:

I wanted to ask,if you can TASTE a difference in the crust or is it more feel and texture?
 :)

Bill,

Thanks for saying the pics are good!  To answer your questions about if you can really taste a difference in the taste and texture of the crust, I would venture to say yes.  The formula Peter set-forth for my last attempt did produce a very good taste in the crust and the method of letting the dough ball ferment longer beside the oven I guess helped, but I am not sure if the formula did contribute to the texture or color of the crust.  It is all confusing, but from last weeks attempt to the one I did this week, there was a little different texture in the crust.  I donít know if it was the bake time, the amount of fermentation, the added sugar, or something else.  I hope I did explain enough for you or anyone to understand.  Each little variable can produce something different, at least in my opinion.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #659 on: December 29, 2011, 10:54:11 PM »
I am very excited here because I went to Costco Business and they had, yes they had Pendleton Power Flour!  I was there a few months ago and did not see that being sold there.  They had a lot of Conagra but not PPF.   They had a 25 and 50 lb bag.

I did not buy any because I have enough flour for pizza now but when I run out I would like to buy it.  Problem is I don't want to not buy it in case they stop carrying it yet I don't need it now.  Norma and anyone else who has used PPF do you know how long it last?  Maybe a sell by date?  I forgot to look at it.  If I buy a bag and not use it for a few months will it last?

I hope this query at the Costco site works in this link.  You can see all the PPF they have.  Now if any of you mentioned they have it already and I missed that, my apologies because I should have read that since I started this discussion and I have been following it but if I missed, my apologies. 

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BD_827&topnav=bd&search=pendleton&N=0&Ntt=pendleton&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

Thanks much ...

James