Author Topic: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA  (Read 56146 times)

Offline PizzaEater101

Re: Pizzeria Luigi in San Diego, CA
« Reply #700 on: November 28, 2012, 02:45:45 PM »

The recommended way of rehydrating ADY is to use a portion of the formula water equal to about four to five times the weight of the ADY at a temperature of about 105 degrees F for about 10 minutes. The rehydrated ADY can then be added to the rest of the formula water. It is the temperature of the remaining formula water that is established to achieve the desired finished dough temperature.

For the amount of ADY that you would be using, I doubt that you could detect a difference. Tom Lehmann and the AIB have run tests using the different forms of yeast for otherwise identical doughs and found that they could not detect a difference in the finished product. However, if you use a lot of ADY, you might detect a yeasty flavor because ADY contains more dead cells than IDY used at a comparable rate.

Peter

Peter thanks for the info. Since it doesn't taste different then I'll just stick to my IDY since I have a lot of it and have been working with it all these years.

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #701 on: December 01, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »
I tried to make an Al Capone. I think the AC is just pepperoni, sausage and meatball ground up. 

I made meatballs the other day. The sausage is Italian Spaghetti Factory brand. Pepperoni was big diameter style so I had to cut it into pieces or I'd have big round slices on it. Moz cheese, preshredded whole milk from Costco Business Center. I normally would use block moz and shred it myself but I liked the way this stuff melts and doesn't breakdown like when I use the kind I shred myself.

For some reason when I made dough the result taste like sour dough and this time it taste like sour dough more than other times.

It's 14 inch. I did it on the screen because normally I just put it on the peel and lay it on the stone but I did that on one of them and then the toppings kept on rolling off when I tested it to see if it would slide off the peel easily and then I tried to take it off the peel and it messed up the whole thing so I had to do another one but this time I did it on the screen. After it baked enough to be firm then I took it off the screen and put it on the stone by itself and it worked out pretty good.

About a 5 minute bake time. I can get 4 minute without the screen but I have to let it go another minute when I use the screen and put back on the stone.  Other than tasting too sour dough like I thought it was really good.

Check it out.

What do you think?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #702 on: December 01, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »
looking good PE.  I love using meatballs on pizza..one of my fav toppings. 

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #703 on: December 01, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
looking good PE.  I love using meatballs on pizza..one of my fav toppings. 

Thanks Jackie, I am getting better at this.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #704 on: December 15, 2012, 01:17:19 PM »
I just finished reading this twisted novel, Whew! :-D

I'm confused about the amount of sugar. One poster wrote that he used 2 percent, but his number in the calculator was 0.2%, which is significantly different. 

Similarly, the yeast amounts and dough handling procedures also vary significantly.  Is there a semi-consensus on what the definitive version is? 

Worms are leaving the can....   
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #705 on: December 15, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
jsaras,

At Reply 177 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg151870.html#msg151870  Peter set-forth 4 Luigi’s clone dough formulations to try and they all had sugar in the formulations with different amounts.  I don’t think Peter ever posted which formulation he thought might be best to try.

Maybe you could just pick a Luigi’s clone pizza you like on this thread and use what formulation and methods that member used.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #706 on: December 15, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
Hi Norma,

I saw Peter's spreadsheet numbers for sugar amount, which are 2/10ths of a percent or lower.  However, several other members have stated that they used 2 percent, which is 10 times higher.  I know that Peter is very precise with his numbers, but I'm unclear as to whether or not the later permutations evolved to a much higher sugar level, or if others were less precise with their language and just mentally dropped a decimal point.

Thanks,
Jonas

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #707 on: December 15, 2012, 05:06:47 PM »
Jonas,

I really don't know what other members did.

Norma

Offline patnx2

« Reply #708 on: December 16, 2012, 03:15:49 AM »
I have been using recipe mentioned in Peter's post 177,#3. 65 %,2sugar,2 oil (my addition) and pend. unbl. flour. I have been very happy with the results and have mostly stuck to this formula for several months. I only bake pizza once a week, in a gas oven set at 550 degrees heated for 1 hour. Bake time about 5 min. and 1.5 min. under broiler.
Happy holidalys to all and thanks for feeding my addition. Patrick from Modesto
Patrick

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #709 on: December 16, 2012, 10:35:00 AM »
I've re-read some of this thread.  I see that when crust coloration became an issue with Pendleton Power Flour the sugar in the formula increased from 0.2% to 2 percent. 

Cheers,
Jonas

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #710 on: December 16, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »

Jonas,

Peter modified the #1 Luigi’s formulation for me when I got the Power flour to try at 594 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg158788.html#msg158788 and reduced the amount of yeast for a one day cold ferment.  If you are interested and didn’t see the final pizza and what I did that post is at 598 and on next few posts.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg159318.html#msg159318  If you look in my post you can see I think I should have maybe left the pizza in the oven longer.  I used 0.22928% sugar in that formulation to try and coax a little sugar out of the dough over only a one-day cold ferment to provide more curst color. 

You can also read Peter’s post at Reply 608 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14928.msg159361.html#msg159361

I didn’t do any more experiments for a Luigi’s clone pizza after that one, because I wasn‘t sure where to go from there.  I could have tried a screen for better crust coloration, or did tried other methods, but I didn’t.

Norma

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #711 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:33 PM »
I gave the Pizzeria Luigi clone a try last night.  63% water, IDY 0.375%, Salt 2%, Sugar 0.222928%, TF = 0.075.

I used white Kamut Khorosan flour, which has been my flour of choice for the last several months (14.64% protein, 60% carbs, 11.3% fiber).  I baked this on steel in my in-laws under-powered electric oven for 6 minutes.  The crust was very easy to stretch to 14-inches and I could have easily stretched this even more.  I also made the sauce variation mentioned that uses Classico tomatoes.  I used fresh basil, but I may have used a touch too much as my scale cannot weigh items less than 1 gram.

Also note that the strange spot on the pizza is the cheeseless area set aside for my lactose intolerant wife.  Overall, everyone liked this a lot.  This was easy to make, though I think that the Lehmann preferment formulation gives a little better flavor.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #712 on: December 21, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
I tried to make an Al Capone. I think the AC is just pepperoni, sausage and meatball ground up. 

I made meatballs the other day. The sausage is Italian Spaghetti Factory brand. Pepperoni was big diameter style so I had to cut it into pieces or I'd have big round slices on it. Moz cheese, preshredded whole milk from Costco Business Center. I normally would use block moz and shred it myself but I liked the way this stuff melts and doesn't breakdown like when I use the kind I shred myself.

For some reason when I made dough the result taste like sour dough and this time it taste like sour dough more than other times.

It's 14 inch. I did it on the screen because normally I just put it on the peel and lay it on the stone but I did that on one of them and then the toppings kept on rolling off when I tested it to see if it would slide off the peel easily and then I tried to take it off the peel and it messed up the whole thing so I had to do another one but this time I did it on the screen. After it baked enough to be firm then I took it off the screen and put it on the stone by itself and it worked out pretty good.

About a 5 minute bake time. I can get 4 minute without the screen but I have to let it go another minute when I use the screen and put back on the stone.  Other than tasting too sour dough like I thought it was really good.

Check it out.

What do you think?

PE101,

The pies looks great! Man, you're getting real close, bro.  ;D
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #713 on: August 18, 2013, 07:33:37 AM »
If anyone is interested, this is Pizzeria Luigi's facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pizzeria-Luigi/250989848123? hc_location=stream This is also Pizzeria Luigi's photos.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pizzeria-Luigi/250989848123?id=250989848123&sk=photos_stream   On August 8, 2013 Pizzeria Luigi posted “Not surprisingly, New Yorkers are up in arms about being ranked fourth in the TripAdvisor Pizza Rankings” and on August 7, 2013 there were two posts about that article. On August 5, 2013 they posted to make sure to watch the SanDiego edition of DDD on the Food Network including the segment on Pizzeria Luigi's.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 07:35:25 AM by norma427 »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #714 on: August 18, 2013, 09:18:01 AM »
Norma,

That is actually one of the better and more entertaining Facebook pages that I have visited. I usually put Facebook at the bottom of the list when I am engaged in reverse engineering and cloning someone's pizza because most Facebook pages do not reveal much that will help me in what I am trying to do. For the same reason, I do not spend much time with Yelp and similar review organizations. I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter or any other such organizations but they are all advertising based so that means that they have to find ways to sell people even more things. It seems that just about everyone that I come into contact with these days, either in real life or online or in other media (print publications, radio and TV), is trying to sell me something. Outside of my family and close friends, everyone is a sales person. It is perhaps good for my health, economic and otherwise, that I can't join Facebook, and Twitter. This forum is one of the few places that I can visit and spend quiet and quality time and not be deluged with advertising trying to sell me something.

Peter 

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #715 on: August 18, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »
Norma,

That is actually one of the better and more entertaining Facebook pages that I have visited. I usually put Facebook at the bottom of the list when I am engaged in reverse engineering and cloning someone's pizza because most Facebook pages do not reveal much that will help me in what I am trying to do. For the same reason, I do not spend much time with Yelp and similar review organizations. I am not a member of Facebook or Twitter or any other such organizations but they are all advertising based so that means that they have to find ways to sell people even more things. It seems that just about everyone that I come into contact with these days, either in real life or online or in other media (print publications, radio and TV), is trying to sell me something. Outside of my family and close friends, everyone is a sales person. It is perhaps good for my health, economic and otherwise, that I can't join Facebook, and Twitter. This forum is one of the few places that I can visit and spend quiet and quality time and not be deluged with advertising trying to sell me something.

Peter

Peter,

I usually push the like button if there is a pizzeria that I am interested in facebook.  I enjoy watching what those pizzerias post.  I usually don't learn a lot from what they post, but at least I can see what they are posting if I catch their posts.  None of those pizzerias pizzeria posts have helped me in trying one of your formulations to try and clone their pizzas, but at least I can see what I am aiming for.  Some of those pizzerias posts make me chuckle.  I don't know how Pizzeria Luigi started just showing up on my facebook page so much in the last month.  I know I did like Pizzeria Luigi's facebook page a long while ago, but nothing showed up until recently.

Lol, about you being bombarded with something to purchase at almost every angle and perhaps it is better for your health to just spend time here on the forum. 

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #716 on: August 18, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
If anyone is interested, this is Pizzeria Luigi's facebook page.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pizzeria-Luigi/250989848123? hc_location=stream This is also Pizzeria Luigi's photos.  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pizzeria-Luigi/250989848123?id=250989848123&sk=photos_stream   On August 8, 2013 Pizzeria Luigi posted “Not surprisingly, New Yorkers are up in arms about being ranked fourth in the TripAdvisor Pizza Rankings” and on August 7, 2013 there were two posts about that article. On August 5, 2013 they posted to make sure to watch the SanDiego edition of DDD on the Food Network including the segment on Pizzeria Luigi's.

Norma

I have been meaning to go to San Diego because I want some Pizzeria Luigi but was apathitic of late about driving two hours.  I don't know how many hours or minutes it is for you Norma to go from Pennsylvania to NY or if you go much but I just have been lazy to drive. San Diego is nice and it's like a world away, so while we are still getting hot weather I'd like to go to SD to cool off and eat some pizza.  Thanks for the info on TripAdvisor and on the Facebook page of Pizzeria Luigi.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #717 on: August 18, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
I have been meaning to go to San Diego because I want some Pizzeria Luigi but was apathitic of late about driving two hours.  I don't know how many hours or minutes it is for you Norma to go from Pennsylvania to NY or if you go much but I just have been lazy to drive. San Diego is nice and it's like a world away, so while we are still getting hot weather I'd like to go to SD to cool off and eat some pizza.  Thanks for the info on TripAdvisor and on the Facebook page of Pizzeria Luigi.

James,

I know the feeling about driving.  :-D  My daughter and I went to Philly yesterday (9th St. Italian Market and not for pizza, but for some pepperoni bread), but that drive seemed like it took forever (about a little over 4 1/2 hrs back and forth).  NYC takes me about 2 1/2 hrs. to get there if traffic is good, but if traffic is bad it can take a lot longer. 

Hope you get to Pizzeria Luigi's again and tell us what their pizzas taste like.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #718 on: November 16, 2013, 07:48:44 AM »
Another look into Luigi's kitchen.

Norma

Offline PizzaEater101

« Reply #719 on: November 16, 2013, 07:25:11 PM »
Norma, did you take that picture? Did you go to San Diego for vacation and stop in to Luigi's?