Author Topic: Tomatoes!!! which kinds are best?  (Read 1835 times)

Offline soapysalsa

Tomatoes!!! which kinds are best?
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:46:15 AM »
Hey guys... Just experimenting at home right now with all these awesome pizza ideas. I stumbled upon Jeff varasanos website and he said to try making a pizza sauce without cooking it. So i took my tomatoes, sliced and seeded them, but when i took the immersion mixer to it, it turned orange and the taste was all off no matter what i did to it. So i am under the impression (because this is not the first time this has happened) that the type of tomatoes i am using are not meant for sauce. If this is incorrect, please correct me. However, I know heirlooms make good sauces, but im not quite sure what kinds. What has worked for you guys? Especially what has not worked would be helpful! thanks

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
Re: Tomatoes!!! which kinds are best?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:33:51 AM »
Commercially, I've tried making sauces from fresh tomatoes in the past.  They don't work out too well, because they're pretty inconsistent in quality, depending on the ripeness and the season. You're better off using a good canned tomato product to get a consistent flavor and color.

Offline petef

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:14:42 AM »
Hey guys... Just experimenting at home right now with all these awesome pizza ideas. I stumbled upon Jeff varasanos website and he said to try making a pizza sauce without cooking it. So i took my tomatoes, sliced and seeded them, but when i took the immersion mixer to it, it turned orange and the taste was all off no matter what i did to it.

I use an immersion mixer but I'm very careful to only pulse it for a second or so. If you run it too long it will incorporate too much air and make the sauce pinkish - orange as you are describing. I'm not sure if adding too much air will change the taste, but it's worth trying again, but only pulse it and don't over mix.

The other thing about making pizza sauce from fresh tomatoes is the wide variation of sweetness and acidity from different tomatoes. You need to train yourself to taste and add vinegar and honey or sugar to achieve your target taste.

One of the best pizza sauces I ever made came from some super sweet New Jersey cherry tomatoes that I grew in my back yard. The tomatoes being so sweet, I only needed to add some vinegar (plus salt & basil) to get to my target taste which I prefer ( a balance of acidity & sweetness).  The only bad part was the time & effort it took to process all those tiny tomatoes. :)

Bottom line, if you sample the raw tomato and it so delicious and
sweet that it hardly needs any salt, you have the right tomatoes
for pizza sauce.

---pete---

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:20:11 AM by petef »

Offline soapysalsa

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:58:26 PM »
thanks guys, i appreciate the answers. Looks like I will be using fresh tomatoes just because... well, im working on an organic tomatoe farm. I am pretty sure that the tomatoe i was using (safeway only labeled it as TOV tomato on the vine) was a pretty flavorless tomato. Also I will bear in mind not to overmix the tomatoes and i will even try hand crushing them as well. thanks!

Offline petef

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
thanks guys, i appreciate the answers. Looks like I will be using fresh tomatoes just because... well, im working on an organic tomatoe farm. I am pretty sure that the tomatoe i was using (safeway only labeled it as TOV tomato on the vine) was a pretty flavorless tomato. Also I will bear in mind not to overmix the tomatoes and i will even try hand crushing them as well. thanks!

I grow my own tomatoes too. NJ Tomatoes. Sometimes they taste great and sometimes they lack flavor and sweetness. For best flavor, it's best to cut back on the watering just prior to harvesting. I'm not quite sure which soil nutrients enhance flavor, but that's something to consider too.

If you discover anything new please keep us posted. :)

---pete---

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »
I have not found one tomato from the food store even worthy of a sauce.I tried quite a few and they all were flavorless.

The best tomatoes I found were the Amish farmers Home grown tomatoes in my area.They sell them during the spring and summer time.I made some wonderful sauce with that.

Someone on the forum told me a lot of the store sold produce Tomatoes are grown using a GAS to speed up the production numbers.Thats why they come out tasting so bland.They are good for a sandwich,a burger or salad,but not for making sauce with.

I even bought some vine riped tomatoes from the food store,and they were not very good either.If I cant get fresh home grown tomatoes from the Amish or farmers market,I buy the whole peeled tomatoes in the can.I prefer the Cento products over the typical store brands.I tried all the popular store brands like Hunts,Del Monte,Red Gold and a few others and was never very happy with them either.

There are also other mail order canned products that are even better,but Im focusing on what one can normally buy at the local stores if available.

:)

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:40 PM »
I used Lesís sauce with fresh tomatoes, many times. Les posted his recipe for his sauce at Reply http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1931.msg17063.html#msg17063
If you are interested in seeing different times I made Lesís sauce with different kinds of tomatoes, you can see how I made his sauce at this thread.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11539.0.html   I tried an immersion stick blender for other fresh sauce I made from tomatoes, instead of a food processor, and didnít like those results as much.  My sauce did turn orange too, when I used an immersion stick blender.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:58:41 PM »
Norma,

I never had any fresh tomatoes turn an orange color when using my Immersion hand blender.They were more of a lighter red shade than orange.I would have loved the orange hue, since most of my favorite Marinara sauces I purchased,border more on the orange side than red.

I always wondered how they got the orange color to it.Maybe it depends on the type of tomatoes?Or maybe I did not mix it the same way you did? Always been curious about it.

Thanks for reposting those links.I read them before but going to read them again.

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:48:55 AM »
Norma,

I never had any fresh tomatoes turn an orange color when using my Immersion hand blender.They were more of a lighter red shade than orange.I would have loved the orange hue, since most of my favorite Marinara sauces I purchased,border more on the orange side than red.

I always wondered how they got the orange color to it.Maybe it depends on the type of tomatoes?Or maybe I did not mix it the same way you did? Always been curious about it.

Thanks for reposting those links.I read them before but going to read them again.

Bill,

I think when I used my immersion stick blender, I did use it for too long.  With my food processor, I just pulse, until the tomatoes are to the consistency I want.  I  think other members also use food mills, and are very successful with making  tomato sauce with a food mill, but I donít have a food mill.  

I donít know how tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes does get orange, but no matter what kind of tomatoes I used from my garden, when I used the food processor, the sauce it always really red.

These are tomatoes I picked yesterday and used for Les's sauce and the sauce was red.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:04:17 AM by norma427 »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:57:39 PM »
Norma,

That might be it about the blending.I pulse blend with the immersion mixer since I dont have a processor.Just pulse little by little to get the consistency I want.Took me a little trial to get it right though.

Btw those tomatoes look great!
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 07:40:50 PM »
Norma,

That might be it about the blending.I pulse blend with the immersion mixer since I dont have a processor.Just pulse little by little to get the consistency I want.Took me a little trial to get it right though.

Btw those tomatoes look great!

Bill,

I will have to do some trials again with my immersion stick mixer, when I make more tomato sauce.  Thanks for your tips on using an immersion mixer.  :)

Thanks about the tomatoes.  I have so many tomato plants planted this year, I don't know what I am going to do with all the tomatoes.

Norma

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
Make sauce and freeze?
 ;D
-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 07:05:39 PM »
Make sauce and freeze?
 ;D

Bill,

I did make more sauce last evening and froze some.  I had enough frozen sauce from last year, to use until after spring of this year.

Norma

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 02:42:57 PM »
Over doing it with the immersion blender often result in pink tomatoes for me. FYI, I'm in the process of doing a taste test of canned crushed tomatoes which will be presented sometime this fall over at Serious Eats/Slice website. They did a similar thing with canned whole tomatoes last year and the results were surprising to say the least. Since fresh tomatoes are so hard to get for most of us on a year round basis, I feel that using canned tomatoes is the way to go for consistency. I probably have about two dozen different brands that I will be sampling, and whenever I see a brand I've never had, I pick them up. I surely won't be able to test every brand available nation wide, but I hope to be able to give you a good idea of what to buy and what to avoid.

BillsPizza

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:41:53 PM »
DM,
I look forward to the results when you are done.

Centos is possibly the better product out there I can actually find in a store.Everything else for me is mail order.Don't want to spend so much and suppose the product is no good?

Always look forward to product evaluations.

pizzapan