Author Topic: My grill topic.  (Read 2508 times)

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
My grill topic.
« on: July 29, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
I took a step into the dangerous world of trying to get pizza done outside.

I had this propane grill sitting in the garage and decided to have a go to see what kinda pie it would produce. 

The first setup I tried completely covered the grill surface apart from an inch on the left and right, the top heat was not adequate but it wasn't far off and heat up time to 600f was 30 minutes with the burners on preheat.   

The second setup I tried (Picture one) worked really well with the tinfoil deflecting the heat down on to the top of the pie but the heat was to heavy on one side and burnt one side within a minute as  you can see from the char outline.

The second picture, you can kind of see what I did today, moved the back bricks over so there was an even gap on both sides, the tinfoil deflected the heat down well but it could be a bit more intense.

I don't know if I need a top stone or some kind of metal deflector which will give me more top heat but it was 'OK'.  I may try and use more foil to make a more rigid deflector closer to the pie out of the foil as it seems to be handling the heat for now.

All in all, not bad, this pie was done in 4 minutes. It's a good start. 

FYI: The basil was put on the pie at the end of the cooking time.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: My grill topic.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:38:23 PM »
Mick,

Great looking pie!  :) Good to see you also are trying pies on your grill.  Welcome to the world of outside baking!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:33 PM »
Looks good Mick. I spent several years baking pies on the grill. Inadequate heat from the top was always the biggest challenge. The only good solution I found was to insulate the top of the BBQ. You can see what I did here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
I also should have stated that the top grate does swing down, I'd say there was 3 inches between it and the pie!

Here's another two pies from tonight, I need to get in and turn them quicker because it seems to recover quickly when I closes the hood and I don't like them burnt.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:23 PM »
Mick,

Great looking pie!  :) Good to see you also are trying pies on your grill.  Welcome to the world of outside baking!  ;D

Norma

Thanks!!

Looks good Mick. I spent several years baking pies on the grill. Inadequate heat from the top was always the biggest challenge. The only good solution I found was to insulate the top of the BBQ. You can see what I did here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html

Craig

Thank you, I remember reading that thread a while back!

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:32:22 PM »
....and I don't like them burnt.

Great pizza on the bbq!  Does the bottom still cook more quickly than the top?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 08:48:16 AM »
The under side is fine, its the edge where the heat is coming over the pie.  I just need to turn them quicker. I think I lucked out with this grill.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:23:41 PM »
Yo Mick,

The pies look great! Hope to see some more grill work by ya soon.
 8)
-Bill

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:03:55 PM »
I'd say those look GREAT for just a few bakes into a new setup.   I agree, just polish up on the turning skills and you are there Mick. 

The crust doesn't look burnt to me at all.  They look just right!  ;D

Chau

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
Yo Mick,

The pies look great! Hope to see some more grill work by ya soon.
 8)

Thanks!

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 03:19:43 PM »
I'd say those look GREAT for just a few bakes into a new setup.   I agree, just polish up on the turning skills and you are there Mick. 

The crust doesn't look burnt to me at all.  They look just right!  ;D

Chau

A few spots are beyond char as it goes into the dough a few MM's but YES I am pleased with what seems like a flying head start with a grill setup.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 10:11:03 AM »
Made four pizza's last night, first three were one after the other and the brick is retaining heat really well and came out great,  a bit toooo well, the last one I waited ten minutes before putting on and the brick's are obviously way too hot, I think I need an IR Thermometer as it was well off of the scale on my grill thermometer that goes to around 700.  I think I can solve the issue by cranking the heat only when I put the pizza on the stone.  We'll see.   

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:20:55 AM »
Cooked three pizza's back to back, just cheese nothing special just to see how the bottom was and they were all the same, the most time between was 3 minutes.    I need to make some kind of deflector to get heat down on to the middle of the pizza or cook at a lower temp for longer, I'd prefer to make the deflector though.

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 12:34:35 PM »
I'm glad you are doing these experiments.  I have not moved outside yet, but I want to.  I have an older propane grill and I may just give it a go.  Pies look pretty darn good to me. :pizza:
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
1st pic showing a cookie sheet cut down to fit on the top rack, it's flush with the hood when it closes as I can feel it just touching it.

2nd pic!  ZING!!!

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:32 PM »
Mick,those are GREAT! The rim has a Neapolitan look to it already.Really nice!Keep us posted with your continuing work.

:)
-Bill

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2011, 09:00:23 PM »
Thanks,   the cookie sheet is a double layer, I'm thinking of cutting a flap out of it to deflect some heat down on to the top of the pizza.

Question for any one reading,  most of the heat is on the LEFT hand side of the pizza because of the way the cookie sheet is and the aluminum foil before that was, I believe drawing heat across over the pizza and up in the grill hood where there are some air vents. The question is, IS the space on the right hand side where there is a gap in the firebrick, aiding the pull of air over the pizza?

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 12:07:52 PM »
Here's a pie a baked yesterday with some salami, the salami was getting a nice lick of heat to it but the cornicione was too high which I think buffered some of the heat traveling over the pizza.   I know why the cornicione was too high though, improper dough management on my part, I wanted pizza for lunch and didn't wait long enough for the dough to come up to room temp so the outer edges of the skin was very thick and tough when forming.

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
Today, with more patience, I get better top heat over the toppings.

And a bottom shot of the crust. 

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2011, 02:27:37 PM »
Last ones look really good! Did you change the weighted cookie sheet system or just the heat up times?
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com