Author Topic: September 2011: "Thai"  (Read 2693 times)

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
September 2011: "Thai"
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:36 PM »
I know we did Asian back in February, but I've had a couple of request for a Thai challenge.

I also figured this could help promote our sister board The Asias Food Forum
http://www.asianfoodforum.com/forum/index.php

So you requested it, lets see what you can do with it.  Need inspiration?  Go to our sister board and look, ask or post recipes there.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 09:19:47 PM by DKM »
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Saturday Coffee

Re: September 2011: "Thai"
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:59 PM »
What...no entries yet?  I'm going to pass on this one but looking forward to seeing some of your creations.

red and green bell peppers
carrots, shredded
onion
bamboo shoots?
fresh basil
pineapple
mushroom
tomato
duck breast
red curry paste/coconut milk or a cream cheese sauce
thin sliced limes

seafood
lemongrasss
lime leaves ---are those really edible?
mushroom
tomato

buceriasdon

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Thai influenced bbq sauce. 1/2C Coca Cola,1/4C Oyster Sauce,1/4C Tomato puree, chopped green onions and garlic. 2tbs. Fish sauce, 1 tbs. Sriracha sauce(I used more) and the juice of one lime. The pork loin was slow cooked with the sauce then the sauce was brought to a boil then simmered until thickened. Manchango cheese, red pepper, and a dusting of Fontina cheese then garnished with cilantro after baking for 4 minutes in my pottery oven. A thin crust just seems to work better for me with my asian pizzas.

parallei

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
Excellent Don!  Looks very tasty.

However, I'll have to admit I was gonna go the pork route too :(

Offline kdefay

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 11:05:20 AM »
Well, I'm new to the forum, but I just couldn't pass this one up as I live in Northern Thailand.  We'll be firing up the oven tomorrow evening, so I'm thinking of doing a Moo Namtok pie.  There's an awesome Isaan restaurant in town, so I'll run over there to get an order of namtok to go, and shazaam...

I'll post a photo tomorrow evening.

Kirk

Update...looks like it's gonna be larb moo instead.  My lovely girlfriend said she will make it.  Mmmmm....
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 03:08:05 AM by kdefay »

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 06:03:04 PM »
Well, I'm new to the forum, but I just couldn't pass this one up as I live in Northern Thailand.  We'll be fining up the oven tomorrow evening, so I'm thinking of doing a Moo Namtok pie.  There's an awesome Isaan restaurant in town, so I'll run over there to get an order of namtok to go, and shazaam...

I'll post a photo tomorrow evening.

Kirk

Cool.

Have you been to our sister forum for Asian food?

Offline kdefay

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 08:00:17 PM »
Cool.

Have you been to our sister forum for Asian food?

I haven't, but I'm far more interested in cooking pizza than Asian food.  There is so much cheap and amazing Asian food within a five minute drive of my house here, but I have yet to find a pizza worth getting excited about anywhere in SE Asia.  That's why we had to start making our own.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:34:29 PM »
I haven't, but I'm far more interested in cooking pizza than Asian food.  There is so much cheap and amazing Asian food within a five minute drive of my house here, but I have yet to find a pizza worth getting excited about anywhere in SE Asia.  That's why we had to start making our own.

Talk about the food you find ;)

Pizza and Southeast Asia aren't normally said together.

buceriasdon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 08:18:09 AM »
Homemade Thai green curry in coconut milk sauce with chicken, mango, green onion. Manchango cheese. Very nice blend of flavors. I don't have have Thai green chilis but serranos I think make a good substitute.
Don
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 08:21:51 AM by buceriasdon »

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 05:26:42 PM »
Ooooh, I LIKE that one, Don!!  Love pineapple and chilies, especially with coconut.  Your crust is beautiful!

buceriasdon

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 05:44:57 PM »
Thanks Robyn, I always have to add some sort of a thickener,in this case corn starch, with coconut milk as it seems to be difficult to reduce with simple simmering. I ran into the same problem in the "Asian" monthly challenge but it is well worth the extra effort. I purchased a Hamiliton Beach mini slow cooker and it works wonderful for me for reduction sauces. Mexican gas stoves are difficult to get low enough to simmer without going out.

Ooooh, I LIKE that one, Don!!  Love pineapple and chilies, especially with coconut.  Your crust is beautiful!

Offline kdefay

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 10:41:50 AM »
This is a Larb Moo Pizza.  Living here in Thailand, I might have an unfair advantage.  While this pizza may look ordinary, let me tell you that it was far from it.  My girlfriend made some of the best larb yet, and by making it a bit "wet", we had a natural sauce.  It was absolutely amazing!  We will definitely be making this one again in the future!!  Thank you for posting the Thai pizza challenge, because it inspired us to try a pie that we would never have imagined before...

Sprinkled on top is fresh cilantro and Thai mint (aka..."salanee").  The mint is an essential ingredient in Larb.

Kirk
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:53:54 PM by kdefay »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 11:01:07 AM »
While this pizza may look ordinary,

From here it looks absolutely incredible.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

buceriasdon

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 07:10:18 AM »
I think I am going to have to make some changes to my little ceramic oven, the tops lately have been getting done before the bottom. Peculiar. Anyways, a tamarind, fish sauce in coconut milk for the base with thai basil,serreno chili, green onion and pork cooked with lime and fish sauce topping. Next?
Don

pizzapan