Author Topic: August 2011 "Greek"  (Read 4630 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: August 2011 "Greek"
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2011, 07:58:27 PM »
Bill,

Your Shishke-za (Shish Kebob Pizza) pizza looks and sounds fantastic! Do you mind telling how you make creamed eggplant?

Norma

Thank you, Norma. I peel a large eggplant, cut into slices, sprinkle each slice all over with salt and place in a colander for an hour or so to draw out moisture. Press between paper towels to dry completely. Brush with olive oil and grill until tender. Meanwhile, make a roux the standard way with butter and flour, then whisk in cream and milk, cooking until thickened. Add the grated cheese of your choise and puree in a blender with the eggplant. Season with salt & pepper. No measurements given because it is that kind of recipe. Great garnish/accompaniment for grilled lamb and vegetables, so I thought it would work well as the sauce for this pizza.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:24 PM »
Thank you, Norma. I peel a large eggplant, cut into slices, sprinkle each slice all over with salt and place in a colander for an hour or so to draw out moisture. Press between paper towels to dry completely. Brush with olive oil and grill until tender. Meanwhile, make a roux the standard way with butter and flour, then whisk in cream and milk, cooking until thickened. Add the grated cheese of your choise and puree in a blender with the eggplant. Season with salt & pepper. No measurements given because it is that kind of recipe. Great garnish/accompaniment for grilled lamb and vegetables, so I thought it would work well as the sauce for this pizza.

Bill,

Thanks so much for your recipe for the creamed eggplant!  I think your approach was unique for a topping.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

parallei

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 10:23:53 PM »
Pastichio Pie

(Because it is a good one, I’m stealing Bill’s format  ;))

Dough:  Tartine method, hybrid, 62% HR, 24 hr in the fridge.
Sauce: béchamel with a bit of nutmeg.
Toppings:  A meat sauce made with olive oil, ground lamb, crushed tomato, garlic, onion, cinnamon, allspice, S&P.  Cooked way down.  A very  tangy feta and rocket.

Pretty good, but maybe a bit much work on a hot day in a hot kitchen!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 10:08:50 AM »

Kind of a French take on baba ganoush?
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »
Looks great Paul!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2011, 07:45:29 AM »
Kind of a French take on baba ganoush?

Actually, it is a riff on a Turkish recipe, beğendi.

pizzapan