Author Topic: DSM800 review + NY style pizza  (Read 6573 times)

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
DSM800 review + NY style pizza
« on: November 23, 2003, 01:48:56 AM »
Well, I got my Delonghi DSM 800 stand mixer a few days ago, and tried my hand at a NY style pizza.  Here's my report on both.

First of all, the mixer looked beautiful.  I decided to start slow, test it out so to speak, so I used a doubled standard NY pizza recipe (6 cups flour, 2 cups water, 2 tsp salt, etc).  

And guess what?  The mixer motor suddenly quit about 5 minutes in, even though it had been operating at low speed.  I was like, "HUH??"  I looked in the manual, and it said there's an "overheating overload cutoff", where the mixer will automatically shut off if it detects the motor has overheated.  Fine, great, but that shouldn't happen with such a little amount of dough!!

So I took the mixer in for service.  It's still in the shop.  The guy from Delonghi Canada said that he didn't think it was normal for the motor to have shut off that quickly with that light of a load.  I sure hope so--if that's normal, then I got rooked with this mixer :(

Anyway, on to part 2.  The pizza!

WOW.  It was AWESOME.  The recipe wasn't all that different from what I've done in the past, but the little things really made a difference.  Here's the recipe (in single form, not doubled as I did it):

--3 cups pizza flour (I bought it at a local food wholesaler in a 20 kilo bag--Sunspun brand, for those in Canada.  I'm pretty sure "bread flour" is pretty much the same.)
--more than 1 cup warm water (I dunno exactly how much, but I went a little less than a half-inch over the line in the measuring cup.  Thanks to all who suggested this recently...the extra water REALLY made a difference, I think, in the gluten!)
--1 tsp salt (NOT sea salt, as I had been doing lately.  The regular salt tastes better.)
--1 tsp Fleischmann's Traditional yeast
--1 Tbs raw sugar (less than the 1/4-cup I had been using).
--1 Tbs olive oil

I let the dough sit in the fridge overnight.  Punched it down the next day, and I found that it was easy to work with; stretched out in my hands with very little elasticity.  For the first time in quite a while, I found I didn't need a rolling pin!

I put the stretched dough directly on the pizza stones at 500 degrees for around 2 minutes; then took it out, spread the sauce on, put it back in for about 2 minutes; then put the cheese on, and cooked for another 5 minutes.  Once it was done, I took it out of the oven and let it cool for around 45 minutes (I had to walk away during this step, because it looked so damned good); then I *reheated* it on the pizza stone at around 350 degrees.

DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!  Probably the best NYC-style pizza I've ever made.  In fact, I had some friends taste it, and they told me it was the best one I'd made as well.  I chalk it up to several factors:

--use of a stand mixer rather than hand kneading (better gluten development)
--extra water really helped
--better flour (higher gluten content) was important
--table salt rather than sea salt
--new sugar content (1 Tbs) was perfect amount
--reheating delay made it taste just like I remember from my old NY pizzerias!

Now if only I can get a working mixer back from the shop, I'll be in business!!! :)

Dave
« Last Edit: November 23, 2003, 12:12:42 PM by canadave »

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
Re:DSM800 review + NY style pizza
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 02:42:06 AM »
Update on the DSM800:

The repair shop FINALLY confirmed there's a problem with the electronic speed control on the mixer; they're ordering a replacement part and will have it in two weeks.  What an ordeal!

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 06:49:57 AM »
Dave, sometimes I wonder if these internet deep discount sites donít deal in seconds and retail store returns.  After having a problem with two separate orders I no longer order from these places.  I also no longer buy things like TV or computers from Samís club for the same reason.
 :(
Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 07:51:22 AM »
If it were me, I would have returned the defective unit to the merchant and demanded a new unit.  :-\

Keep us posted on your progress!
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 09:18:18 AM »
But the good news is it has been checked out now and should be as good as new.
It looks like a great mixer.

Randy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 02:09:56 PM »
You're both right.  I think for a large purchase like that, I should have just spent the extra $200 to buy locally from a place like Sears, where I could easily return it and so on.  The problem is, since it cost so much to ship from the USA to here, it's difficult to pack everything up and ship it back, because then I run into Customs and duties charges again.

I might also still return it.  Certainly, as soon as I get the fixed unit back, I'm going to test it, and if it doesn't pass my tests, I'm going to demand that Delonghi do something for me.

What worries me is that there is apparently ONE parts/tech guy for ALL of Delonghi Canada (I keep getting his voice mail, and he's the only one I've spoken to).  How can this be???  Also, after speaking to him once, he sounded like a decent fellow who understands what customer service is supposed to be about; but after leaving several messages for him, he hasn't returned my calls.  This isn't good!!!

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 02:17:10 PM »
Gosh for $200 I think you did the right thing even if it had to be repaired. Delonghi I am sure will stand behind their product.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2003, 08:29:19 AM »
I agree. Let's see how the repaired unit fares.
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 08:48:13 PM »
Well, I *finally* got my repaired mixer back.  It seems to have been an "electronic speed control unit" that was bad out of the box, brand new; they replaced it, and it seems to be working now.  I just made a medium-sized batch of dough, and it didn't shut off.

OK, back to making pizza :)  We'll see how the dough turns out.....

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 09:41:46 PM »
Great news Dave.  How did you like it?

Randy

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2003, 02:08:17 PM »
I dunno....I'm still not entirely sold on this mixer.  It seems to mix okay, but I kind of thought 800 watts would be an "unstoppable force".  It handled the 6 cups of flour/2 cups of water mix that I created, but the motor sounds like it's struggling, even though it might not actually be struggling.  The motor doesn't have an "even" sound, if that makes any sense.

Also, I find that the bowl is difficult to remove from the mixer once done.  It attaches by being placed onto a groove, and then shifted laterally so that vertical movement is impossible.  Which is a great idea, except that I think the heat from the mixing process causes the bowl groove joints to expand just enough so that it becomes hard to reverse the process and move the bowl off the mixer.

The dial for the speed control also seems flimsy.  It's a large, plastic round dial that seems like it could be ripped off the mixer easily if I tried.  

Overall I'm kind of wondering whether I should have gotten a KitchenAid now.  But I guess it's too late.  Ah well, there's always ebay ;)

I'm baking a pizza in a little bit, I'll post the results of how it tasted afterwards.

Dave

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 03:20:31 PM »
My Kitchen-Aid bowl jumps out of its holder when I make my thin crust recipe.  I have to hold it in place for the ten minute knead.  And the heavy duty model really strains.  Dave maybe you have the better mixer.

Randy

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2003, 08:29:34 AM »
It seems to me that most (or all) of the consumer-grade stand mixers out there use a variable speed motor (i.e., the voltage to the motor is adjusted to make it run fast or slow). While this design is cheap to build, the trade-off is a motor that will bog down under heavy load.

Commercial mixers, on the other hand, utilize a fixed-speed motor. Mixing speed is adjusted by changing the gearing. With this type of mixer, even a low-wattage motor will not bog down under load. Sorta like riding a 10-speed bicycle up a very steep hill in first gear... lots of pumping, slow progress, but you make it to the top with ease.

The only "consumer" grade unit that I've seen that utilizes a variable-gear mixer is made by Hobart (the N50).

http://www.hobartcorp.com/hobartg5/pr/n50.nsf/home

The only problem I see is the price. The N50 retails for a whopping $1500. Ouch!!

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2003, 11:26:10 AM »
Wow.  I guess my only response to that information is: "oops."  Wish I had known that before shelling out $500 for a mixer!!!  :o

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 01:58:54 PM »
Dave, one thing to think about is the recipe you briefly mentioned was a dry mixture and would be tough on any mixer.
Try a recipe with about 58% water by weight and see what it does.

Randy

SydTracked

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2003, 12:13:38 AM »
I have better luck on the dry dough if I mix the batch wet and hand knead the extra flour in last!  My Kitchen-Aid (5 Qt.)  will not handle the dry doughís, the dough hook is even bending! Takes more time but my mixer will last.

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2003, 11:18:19 AM »
I would be bent if my dough hook were to change shape.  Mine is the porcelain covered one.  Which KitchenAid do you have?
  :o
Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2003, 12:45:45 PM »
Am I the only one perfectly happy with my Kitchen Aid?

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2003, 02:05:13 PM »
I'm happy with mine also DKM just saying it has its faults and Dave's machine was probadly just as good as a KitchenAid.
As Steve pointed out, they are not Hobarts but for the money I am happy with what I have.
 8)
Randy

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2003, 03:31:31 PM »
I have never had a major issue with mine in all the years  I have had it.

I also have most of the attachments for it and have found them quite useful.

Now if my wife could just find the paddle she lost.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

pizzapan