Author Topic: Cracker style tonight  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Cracker style tonight
« on: June 15, 2005, 02:49:03 PM »
I'm doing a modified DKM cracker style tonight using instant yeast instead of active dry.  This gave me a warmer dough since I could use 130F water.  I wanted a warmer dough to enhance fermintation for a shorter rise time.  I put the dough together this morning for supper tonight.  I also added a bit of honey. Will parbake for 4 min at 450F but I did notice Steve using 500 on his last post.  May try 500F.

Randy

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
Re: Cracker style tonight
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 07:38:04 AM »
After a 12 hour rise on the counter in a warm place using a warmer dough the thin crust was real good but not excelant.  There seems to be no doubt that a longer, near twenty-four rise is much better.  I weighed the flour and the water but this thing was still a bear to roll-out.  I used the last of the Great Value crushed tomatoes and must say they are very good.

Randy

Offline buzz

Re: Cracker style tonight
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 12:20:30 PM »
That's interesting--a 12-hour rise should be more than enough. Try my 3 separate (1.5-2 hour) rises--it makea a first-class dough.

As for rolling out--that's the problem with relying on weighing rather than feel or look. Especially at this time of year, when it's hot and humid, the flour's hydration requirements can vary considerably. I always start with less liquid than I think I'll need and add more, even when I make my thin crust dough in the bread machine.